Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tunnels View Post
    Is the honey come foam filled completely ??

also have you ever used vacuum bagging ??
    Got the core material.....yes...each comb is filled.....looks like it will work great!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WP_20170616_14_41_44_Rich_LI.jpg  

Have lived and worked in New Zealand ,Tahiti,Australia,Japan , south Korea, And now Suzhou in China
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mran View Post
    Got the core material.....yes...each comb is filled.....looks like it will work great!
    And vacuum bagging ?? you don't need the maximum of 14.7 psi !, possible less than 25% 0f this is even more than you would need!! Using lots of weights are the last straw and you have to cover the total surface as in 100% and have no gap's any where but that is real hit and miss vacuum is much much better And if you fitting strips of bevelled foam around the perimeter that needs to be done and sucked down together all at the same time !!!!Any surplus resin and what ever will likely fill all and any gaps there maybe and the vac bag will have made a smoothing out of such places !.

What glass you anticipate covering it with and finishing with ?????
    My suggestion is to lay a csm 450 over the core and then a 1708 with the csm attached facing up !.
    The csm under is a cushioning layer for the 1708 to adhere to the core much better . All this need to be done at the same time and rolled out flat and even as this will be a done and finished all at the same time
    Last edited by tunnels; 06-16-2017 at 10:35 PM.
    Messing round with boats is fun !! the learning never stops ,even after more than 30 years there's always something new happening somewhere ! BUT somethings never change and some problems never go away and just keep reoccurring !!so moved into Composite Forensics , Now that something completely new !!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is the color of this boat, I own one 20 years ago and it had bottom problems/?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy View Post
    What is the color of this boat, I own one 20 years ago and it had bottom problems/?
    This boat is Grey with black and red stripes. I can see it was registered in New Jersey prior to NY.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hows the boat project coming?

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by XstreamVking View Post
    Hows the boat project coming?
    slower than I had hoped...just got so busy with work. Floor, Locker and core is all removed and I am currently sanding down the interior of the hull.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It's good to let it get good and dry anyhow. Prep is the most important part, take your time. Glassing goes fast...

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some pics....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WP_20170627_10_55_47_Rich_LI.jpg   WP_20170627_11_00_08_Rich_LI.jpg   WP_20170627_10_55_02_Rich_LI.jpg   WP_20170627_10_55_16_Rich_LI.jpg  

Have lived and worked in New Zealand ,Tahiti,Australia,Japan , south Korea, And now Suzhou in China
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mran View Post
    some pics....
    looking at the disc you have on that grinder its no wonder its taking time and producing so much fine dust 16 grit is best quickest and makes a better job !
    Next question where are you intending to lay the core ??? yOU DO REALISE THAT WITH ALL THOSE STRAKES ITS NO WONDER THE HULL BOTTOM FLEXES UP AND DOWN !!SO EVEN WITH CORE ON TOP OF THE FLAT AREAS ITS STILL GOING TO FLEX JUST AS BAD AS BEFORE and glassing with lots of layers isn't going to help much either !!!!

Strakes are and always have been potential weak points where the glass bends on the 3 corners of each strake so the more strakes the easier the hull bottom moves and bends in those places !!.Plus they are favourite places for poor laminating ! also have bubbles and resin rich and places the delaminate very easily so even more weaknesses !! bad design for sure !
    Last edited by tunnels; 06-28-2017 at 03:01 AM.
    Messing round with boats is fun !! the learning never stops ,even after more than 30 years there's always something new happening somewhere ! BUT somethings never change and some problems never go away and just keep reoccurring !!so moved into Composite Forensics , Now that something completely new !!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tunnels View Post
    looking at the disc you have on that grinder its no wonder its taking time and producing so much fine dust 16 grit is best quickest and makes a better job !
    Next question where are you intending to lay the core ??? yOU DO REALISE THAT WITH ALL THOSE STRAKES ITS NO WONDER THE HULL BOTTOM FLEXES UP AND DOWN !!SO EVEN WITH CORE ON TOP OF THE FLAT AREAS ITS STILL GOING TO FLEX JUST AS BAD AS BEFORE and glassing with lots of layers isn't going to help much either !!!!

Strakes are and always have been potential weak points where the glass bends on the 3 corners of each strake so the more strakes the easier the hull bottom moves and bends in those places !!.Plus they are favourite places for poor laminating ! also have bubbles and resin rich and places the delaminate very easily so even more weaknesses !! bad design for sure !
    I cannot do anything about the original hull design so I will do my best to reinforce it.......My plan is one layer of 1708 in the pad and about 6 inches up the side of the pad then another layer of 1708 over the entire hull. I will focus on each strake trying to ensure no bubbles. Core will be bedded on the pad and then on each side of the pad as originally done by the factory. In the pad the Core will run from Transom to Bow. Should I fillet the core to the corner of the pad for added strength?

However, before I can do any of this, I have to fix Multiple LONG routed out gaping holes within the hull (Not to mention a few grinding mistakes I made along the way!!!). You can see them in the pics. I should be able start glassing this week.....IF , I have time.....

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6