Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was available and supposed to be really strong. Only paid 125.00. Never used it before but then again i never recored a stream before. Any particular issue with it?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the product
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails plascore.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This appears to be the same type of material that I have used on my Shadow. However, I bought pre-laminated panels. Mine has no hull coring but I've been using 3/4" for decking, stringers, knees, etc. Mine came from Carbon-Core. I don't know of any reason that it wouldn't make a good hull core material. Glass and resins seem to adhere well.
    Speed cost money. How fast you wanna go?
    I have done so much with so little for so long, I can now do the impossible with nothing!

Have lived and worked in New Zealand ,Tahiti,Australia,Japan , south Korea, And now Suzhou in China
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mran View Post
    This is the product
    Is the honey come foam filled completely ??

also have you ever used vacuum bagging ??
    Last edited by tunnels; 06-12-2017 at 09:46 PM.
    Messing round with boats is fun !! the learning never stops ,even after more than 30 years there's always something new happening somewhere ! BUT somethings never change and some problems never go away and just keep reoccurring !!so moved into Composite Forensics , Now that something completely new !!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What is the density of the core? I don't see that used very often. And as for supporting the hull, lots of guys have left the boat on the trailer and just added some 2x4's to the frame to give a straight and level support for the bottom. Avoid putting any support at just one point. Spread out the load as much as possible fore and aft. Last 6' is the most important. They usually hold their shape fairly well with this. If the boat is to be on the ground, same thing, make a frame for it to sit on using wood.

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Im not saying its the same brand but we use something very similar called nidacore made by 3M. Its a great product. It is super lite and conforms well when its raw, can cut it with a razor knife if need be. I believe that its comparable to 5lb foam core. Nida states that by doubling the laminate thickness increases stiffness by 7x. When sealed on both sides acts as flotation, needs to be treated like foam, wont hold a screw so plan out where things go and add solid core where things need to be screwed in. As a hull core it works great so go ahead and use it. Although 125$ seems a bit much for it. The cut edges are a bit tough to glass seeing as how the honeycomb is open when its cut. A small fillet of foam or some putty makes glassing the raw edges easier.

Have lived and worked in New Zealand ,Tahiti,Australia,Japan , south Korea, And now Suzhou in China
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorilla0178 View Post
    Im not saying its the same brand but we use something very similar called nidacore made by 3M. Its a great product. It is super lite and conforms well when its raw, can cut it with a razor knife if need be. I believe that its comparable to 5lb foam core. Nida states that by doubling the laminate thickness increases stiffness by 7x. When sealed on both sides acts as flotation, needs to be treated like foam, wont hold a screw so plan out where things go and add solid core where things need to be screwed in. As a hull core it works great so go ahead and use it. Although 125$ seems a bit much for it. The cut edges are a bit tough to glass seeing as how the honeycomb is open when its cut. A small fillet of foam or some putty makes glassing the raw edges easier.
    A band saw with a fine tooth blade is best for cutting any core be it Balsa , any of the foams, regardless of density and also nida core ! I have asked but had no reply to see if this product is foam filled
    Have always used a bands saw to the bevelled edge is easy to shape and carefully with a grinder a radius can be formed Rather than using the dreadful putty any where !.
    Messing round with boats is fun !! the learning never stops ,even after more than 30 years there's always something new happening somewhere ! BUT somethings never change and some problems never go away and just keep reoccurring !!so moved into Composite Forensics , Now that something completely new !!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mran View Post
    Ok, so I purchased this boat anticipating some work and possible re-core. Wife flipped out and...well....im on the fence

Anyway, I decided to start digging in a little to see what is going on.....I removed the carpet and section of the rotted floor to a solid ski locker.....cut out a piece of the ski locker and noticed the core below it is actually in good shape...almost too good....BUT its sitting 1/2 off the pad....The Hull has cracks on the pad which led me to believe the core as rotten but it looks like it was replaced but delaminated.....Take a look at the pics...thoughts?
    Are you going to replace the core under the front deck? The core was soaking wet on mine up there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0953.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
    Are you going to replace the core under the front deck? The core was soaking wet on mine up there.
    Need to replace the lot every where ! as in completely ! do it once and never have to worry again !!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tunnels View Post
    Is the honey come foam filled completely ??

also have you ever used vacuum bagging ??
    I do not believe the comb is completely filled. No, I have not vacuum bagged before so based on your comments, I spoke to the distributer...he said that while vacuum bagging is preferred, there is absolutely no issue setting it in bedding compound....just have to make sure it lies flat with no air pockets. He suggested using sang bags as they will distribute weight.
    He did say to be careful with the edges when cutting however...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I plan on doing it the same way you gained access (great idea) I can tell the floor in the bow is rotted as well so I assumed the core to be as well....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorilla0178 View Post
    Although 125$ seems a bit much for it. The cut edges are a bit tough to glass seeing as how the honeycomb is open when its cut. A small fillet of foam or some putty makes glassing the raw edges easier.
    I have to edit that quote...it is $225 for the entire amount (8 4x2 panels). I thought that was a great price considering I was getting quotes of up to 4x that much for high density PVC.....

The edges were a concern of the distributor as well.....Thank you for the advice

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think our boats are twins! I posted a few pics of the finished product in the Power Tour thread.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think our boats are twins! I posted a few pics of the finished product in the Power Tour thread.
    Let see if I feel this good while I am getting into this! Seriously. I am not too concerned....I do have some Long Cracks in the pad the previous owner routed out that I need to fix before I core but other than time....I am good to go!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Im sorry tunnels, what part of (the honeycomb is open when its cut) was misleading? Its composed of (hollow) honeycomb structures. So no its not full of foam, its hollow in the middle.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast