User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Have lived and worked in New Zealand ,Tahiti,Australia,Japan , south Korea, And now Suzhou in China
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Just a question !

if You were going to add automatic inflatable floatation to a boat where would you place it ?? inside the boat or out side the boat ?? and please explain your answer why !!

Don't be shy ! there's no tricks involved but there's big benefits one system has over the other !!.

Ok a hint !!! If the boat was swamped and filled with water which system would work better to keep the boat afloat ???

ok hint number two !!! what makes a boat float ? or why does it float ???

Ok last hint !! what makes a boat sink ?? it sinks because it ~~~~~~!
    Last edited by tunnels; 06-01-2017 at 01:46 PM.
    Messing round with boats is fun !! the learning never stops ,even after more than 30 years there's always something new happening somewhere ! BUT somethings never change and some problems never go away and just keep reoccurring !!so moved into Composite Forensics , Now that something completely new !!

Have lived and worked in New Zealand ,Tahiti,Australia,Japan , south Korea, And now Suzhou in China
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Interesting ! Going to the auto inflation system and should it be inside or outside I smile because 99 people out of 100 will possibly say outside BUT if the inflation system is inside the boat I will displace the water inside and the water will flow over the rear and once a big proportion water has been displaced inside the boat it begins to float quite high out of the water again !! Plus as I hinted a while back its possible to climb back in over the outboard and get back inside and with big inflated tubes they are a safety things you can sit on and feel secure !, as well if the sea is rough and you far less likely to get thrown around and hurt !
    YOU MIGHT HAVE GUESS I BEEN DOWN THIS PATH WITH A FRIEND I WORKED FOR when we made RIBS !! We thrashed this idea around for weeks and then build such a system completely from scratch and installed it in a 12 foot aluminium boat that had no buoyancy what so ever and we hung a old 10 hp out board on it!! of cause the boat went to the bottom but we then had tear tabs and were able to activate the co2 gas cylinders to inflate the two tubes the boat immediately came to the surface with the stern lower and after a couple of minutes it it found it own level and sat quite high out of the water so the two guys climbed back inside and one guy went forward while the second guy climbed in ! they were both able to sit on the tubes quite comfortable and because the trial tubes were bright red the boat could be easily seen from the air ! a complete boat including people is far easer to see from a spotter plane than just people in the water floundering about !and everyone stays together in one place and don't get separated !!,
    Later after the first couple of tests we added aircraft grade automatic inflator's activated by salt water , Plus a pouch on each tube with a bailer on a lanyard inside so once people were inside the boat they could then bail the rest of the water out and behold the boat floated almost normally !!

If the system was on the outside it was to easily damaged on everyday use plus when inflated had to lift the whole boat completely filled with water and was not possible to get inside and bail it out !We went down that track to begin with as well just to prove we were on the right path . with everything inside hidden out of the sun under the gunwale carefully rolled up so couldn't get damaged with the auto inflators they were re-serviceable and the whole system would have had a 5 year guarantee . Was aimed at the aluminium boat market ! It created a sensation and everyone loved it BUT like all good things they chose to use just life jackets instead But how many people wear them out in a boat ??and if they are there how long does it take to put them on once you found them ??
    Our system had the possibility to not only saving lives but had the capability of saving the boat as well including the motor and some of the gear inside .
    Last edited by tunnels; 06-01-2017 at 11:02 PM.
    Messing round with boats is fun !! the learning never stops ,even after more than 30 years there's always something new happening somewhere ! BUT somethings never change and some problems never go away and just keep reoccurring !!so moved into Composite Forensics , Now that something completely new !!

Wentzville.MO 40 "miles west of St Louis"
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a question

Question time

Question time 3

One more question.

Question questions

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be or not to be that is the question?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Back in the 60's my dad put truck inner tubes in mine, and my friends jon boats. Under the seats, under the bow etc. Inflated them to fit the space they were in. That way if we flipped the boat, it wouldn't sink. Kind of ahead of his time it appears...

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by XstreamVking View Post
    Back in the 60's my dad put truck inner tubes in mine, and my friends jon boats. Under the seats, under the bow etc. Inflated them to fit the space they were in. That way if we flipped the boat, it wouldn't sink. Kind of ahead of his time it appears...
    Early days people were inventive !! those time have long past unfortunately and modern ways are buy everything you need and if you cant buy it you don't need it !! New zealand is surrounded by sea on all sides ,little aluminium boats are every where people love fishing and there are so many boats that used around the coast almost every day ! Each year there are drownings and boats lost usually through ignorance and stupidity very few appreciate how quick that lovely blue water can change into a rough sea with big waves breaking and wind and rain ! Its easily seen coming but they don't take any notice untill its to late . Life jackets are things to be sat on and in so many cases there's never enough for one each and boats are normally over loaded and 1 out of 4 people cant swim and another fact 90% have been drinking during there time out , so need I say more !!
    The auto inflatable system Dudley and I worked on was designed for those kinds of situations to save people and save boats so people could get back inside till help came !!
    Last edited by tunnels; 06-02-2017 at 06:03 PM.