Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Backyard Rebuild Failures

With all of the extensive 'backyard' rebuilds and repairs going on, how many have resulted in a major failure that you are familiar with? By rebuilds and repairs I am talking about coring, transoms, stringers, etc. What failed and to what did you attribute the failure to? Design, material, workmanship, etc?
    Speed cost money. How fast you wanna go?
    I have done so much with so little for so long, I can now do the impossible with nothing!

Have lived and worked in New Zealand ,Tahiti,Australia,Japan , south Korea, And now Suzhou in China
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Oldman View Post
    With all of the extensive 'backyard' rebuilds and repairs going on, how many have resulted in a major failure that you are familiar with? By rebuilds and repairs I am talking about coring, transoms, stringers, etc. What failed and to what did you attribute the failure to? Design, material, workmanship, etc?
    Just guessing here but I would put workmanship at the very top of any failures list !!, not using the materials properly and skimping on resin would be a very big part of that !
    Next would be using the wrong materials that would be best suited for that particular job .
    The combination of both happens everyday even in the boat manufacturing industry quite regularly and more often that you would want to believe !!
    Messing round with boats is fun !! the learning never stops ,even after more than 30 years there's always something new happening somewhere ! BUT somethings never change and some problems never go away and just keep reoccurring !!so moved into Composite Forensics , Now that something completely new !!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    anyone willing to step up and discuss a failure they experienced or witnessed?

Have lived and worked in New Zealand ,Tahiti,Australia,Japan , south Korea, And now Suzhou in China
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boatermike View Post
    anyone willing to step up and discuss a failure they experienced or witnessed?
    Have witnessed a few bad jobs here looking at some of the photos but said nothing ! So there area few at odd times ! Over building is a good way of hiding and covering up potential faults ! !
    Messing round with boats is fun !! the learning never stops ,even after more than 30 years there's always something new happening somewhere ! BUT somethings never change and some problems never go away and just keep reoccurring !!so moved into Composite Forensics , Now that something completely new !!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No one on here has ever done anything correctly, and every rebuild is a failure waiting to happen according to some
    negative posters on here.

Personally, I have seen very, very, few failure prone projects done by guys on here. The vast majority of the work is done with durability and longevity in mind. Remember, Just because it is not your way does not mean it is wrong.....

Go thru the threads archives and see the many fabulous builds and watch how many years of service and how hard these boats are used, and then judge the skill and materials that went into them. The evidence speaks for it's self.

Most of the failures I have witnessed are caused by the self proclaimed industry experts not considering the end use and required durability of the product when designing and constructing it. The bottom line, is all they can see from their desks. Profits and greed cause more failures than any thing else.....Don't place blame where it is not deserved.

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this guy tunnels is a kill joy.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Most homegrown failures are the result of someone just trying to get the boat usable for the next few weekends, or the summer. It only has to go out for a few more trips. It fails and is discarded. Alum plates and threaded rod are the most common ones you will see. Trying to save a weak transom. Stringers just tabbed in, floors just glassed on the perimeter or just screwed down. At the top of the list is a paint job where house paint is used. You see them at the boat ramp on the weekends. Some are just funny, some are really dangerous.

Rebuild thread:
    Videos

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    one time at the ramp I see this guy in a big old aluminum starcraft , it had an outdrive and two home made outboard brackets on either side of the outdrive, one side had a big old fat johny 90hp and the other side had a slightly younger rude 80. looked like some real stupidity . Just slid mine in and headed out. Didn't have to wait very long and here comes the old guy with the "trips". This damn thing left like a boss. Im talking he slammed it full throttle and everything hooked up and gramps was gone. I cheered loudly and gave a fist pump.

FULLY WRONG AND COMPLETELY BAD IN THE BEST WAY

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tunnels View Post
    Have witnessed a few bad jobs here looking at some of the photos but said nothing ! So there area few at odd times ! Over building is a good way of hiding and covering up potential faults ! !
    ^ This guy is all talk. Lots of "BOLD" letters, all CAPS, italisized, and underlining... Yet shows nothing of his own.

Most of the failures you see are from mid 80's and 90's boats using wood and not sealing it well.

10. Likes XstreamVking, Hippie459MN liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll throw myself under the bus. I watched this resin set for about an hour with.no runs. I left for the night. It was about 55 degrees. I came back the next day to a MARATHON!!! Look at all those runners!!! Luckily they popped right off my mirror smooth gelcoat.

And to those who are curious, the whole top side got x2 layers of 6oz cloth.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1442.jpg   IMG_1441.jpg   B42F31F5-080A-4F81-B716-C7D65013599E.jpg  
    Last edited by home made tunnel; 05-17-2017 at 11:34 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My V-King had the core done by some company in Green Bay before I got it. Well, they did the core from the transom up to where the floor ends, everything in the bow was worm bedding. So when I started to fix the transom, I pulled the floor and started to look at the whole hull, I took everything out that this fiberglass shop did. Huge air bubbles under the core in between the outter hull and core. Lots of open spots, dry spots as well. And they didn't clean up the hull very well before laying the new core in. I could pop the balsa off square by square. Thats my story.
    1973 Viper - sold
    1978 Viking - sold
    1995 XB02

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sad story with a happy ending? Your re-work held up i'm sure.....

Rebuild thread:
    Videos

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boatermike View Post
    this guy tunnels is a kill joy.
    Just remember quality and making a good job COSTS LESS !and uses less materials and is something to be proud of !
    Have seen some absolutely fabulous jobs done buy back yards and things id never have attempted myself even !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyones work here on S&F is perfect, that's the only type of work we do.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by home made tunnel View Post
    I'll throw myself under the bus. I watched this resin set for about an hour with.no runs. I left for the night. It was about 55 degrees. I came back the next day to a MARATHON!!! Look at all those runners!!! Luckily they popped right off my mirror smooth gelcoat.

And to those who are curious, the whole top side got x2 layers of 6oz cloth.
    Monkey nuts! All of us have made a few pair of those

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast