Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would double check the timing before scratching your head over it. Make sure the timing light pickup is on #1 and the wire is not laying across any other plug wires. The magnet around the center hub on the flywheel is the one that would throw off the timing. Also, with an engine with S.L.O.W., it also has Quickstart that moves the timing when the engine is cold, so check the timing after it has warmed up.

Maybe Racer can post up the center magnet clocking for that engine, CDI shows it for up to 2001, not sure if it's the same for your engine.
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors". Plato .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    88 and up V6 have the same pick up points on ctr hub. Always best to check timing on a warm running engine.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going to pull the flywheel in a few minutes, feeling like a total dumb a$$ after what I read last night! I checked the magnets around the circumference! Duh! After staring at the pics I took of the flywheel the fact that I totally didn't pay attention to the center "hub" and the way the epoxy looks as if it is dry and crumbly!
    If that is the culprit, is getting the magnet off without damaging it risky? Are there any solvents that would help to clean up what's still holding?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Flywheel off and magnet IS loose! I marked the top with a sharpie to correspond with the two marks on the outside of the magnets before I tested if it would move as shown in the pics. I would guess it would move back and forth about 1/8" probably more but once I felt movement I stopped. Last night when the lightbulb came on I saw a chart on the CDI site, but was hard to see the markings. these old eyes aren't what they used to be! Lol there are a few marks on the hub of the flywheel that "look" like they may be alignment marks? One just about at the keyway and one at the 7oclock position.... and they are about 1/8" off from my marks and the exterior marks on the magnet. Looking at pics does that sound correct? Or are those not the marks I need to index?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4771.PNG   IMG_4770.PNG   IMG_4767.jpg   IMG_4760.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After more reading I was made aware of another mark that corresponds with a notch in then bottom of the magnet, is this white paint and notch my target? I'm headed to the marina to see if anyone has epoxy in stock. How about alignment or even space between magnet and hub? Will it automatically sit centered? Or do I need to space it with something?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4773.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Was just getting ready to post about the white mark, yes align. You also need to lap the flywheel to the crank.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problem solved? What's the outcome of the compression test? Fix the ignition issues?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Outcome? As important as the techs input is, its as important we learn from the end result. Is the motor performing as expected?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry guys,
    had a lot of things going on the past few weeks and hadn't been able to mess with the boat. Instead of gluing the center magnet back in place, I was able to get areplacement flywheel at a good price. Just bolted it on about half an hour ago! Jumped on here to check proper timing procedure.... I've read the Reeves WOT procedure but not sure I can do that? With all the plugs out the bendix kicks out as soon as RPMs increase. Is there something I can disconnect to make that not happen? Was hoping to get it fixed today and put it in the water tomorrow!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can disconnect the link rod to the timer base, start it up at idle and advance the timer base to the stop and check it that way, set it 2 degrees shy of what it calls for. Just don't advance the throttle and be careful of the spinning flywheel It will idle up some when you do it, but won't go past 2000 rpm
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors". Plato .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok fellas, sorry for the delay in getting back on here to update my progress... it's been a rough couple of weeks to say the least!
    So I last posted I was mounting the replacement flywheel and going to get it tuned and timed. Well as my luck has been lately I dropped the timing light while changing sides of the engine to get a better view, cheap harbor freight light just popped! Had to get another one and this time it wasn't harbor freight! (Live and learn ) it took me a bit to get the idle and initial timing close to where I needed to start. Wouldn't have been so bad if I hadn't messed with the stops prior to the new flywheel! But what the hell! Have to learn somehow. After a lot of tweaking I was able to get s decent idle so I could reset the low end, did as Flabum1017 recommended and stayed 4 deg below. Of course I haven't had the free time to water test it yet �� But did lower it into a giant tote of water so did have some backpressure, it sounds strong and when I get her out I'll post hopefully good news!
    Thanks again to all that posted on this thread! Would have ended up taking it to the marina where I'm sure I would have paid out the nose to get it fixed!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5