Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Johnson 25/35 tillers for converting from remote

Hello I'm looking to convert some old remote johnsons I have and I'm having a heck of a time finding parts for these.

I have a few motors. These are all long shaft
    -1976 Johnson 35
    -1993 Johnson 25 (need multiple)
    -2002 Johnson 25

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been there......BE SURE you get the detent lever for the shifter when you convert to a tiller. If you run the mota without the detent installed the LU will jump out of gear and will be trashed! The remote motas came without the detent because the control box shifter held it in gear. Gary
    "12" Super Lite Tunnel (11') "88" 25 Yammy twin carb "BANANA SPLIT"
    "77" Hydrostream Viper "87" 140 Rude heavy modded w/15" mid, Bobs nose and lwp "DANGER ZONE"
    "72" Checkmate MX-13 "80" 75 Rude w/15"mid and Nitro Lu (to be restored)

"Too much is never enough" Keith Richards " Dreams become reality via hard work and perseverance" G.A.Carbonneau

"This coming from an old man that strapped two bananas together, hung a motor on it and calls it a boat" XstreamVking

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by olboatman View Post
    I have been there......BE SURE you get the detent lever for the shifter when you convert to a tiller. If you run the mota without the detent installed the LU will jump out of gear and will be trashed! The remote motas came without the detent because the control box shifter held it in gear. Gary

Excellent point! Thanks for the info. Is this just the metal piece the bushing rides up and down on when it's moved between gears? This piece also pushes in the safety start switch when in neutral?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmctagg1 View Post
    Excellent point! Thanks for the info. Is this just the metal piece the bushing rides up and down on when it's moved between gears? This piece also pushes in the safety start switch when in neutral?
    Yes sir it is! Gary
    "77" Hydrostream Viper "87" 140 Rude heavy modded w/15" mid, Bobs nose and lwp "DANGER ZONE"

"Too much is never enough" Keith Richards " Dreams become reality via hard work and perseverance" G.A.Carbonneau

"This coming from an old man that strapped two bananas together, hung a motor on it and calls it a boat" XstreamVking

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by olboatman View Post
    Hey Gary-

I've been trying to do some research on the difference on the 1977 johnson 35 (35EL77C) that i've converted to tiller.

When I compare the diagrams from the 35EL77C to the 35EL77H (tiller version) I don't see a difference in part #'s on the shifter lock. It also seems they are the same diagram but I wasn't sure if I was going about this the correct way to find the right part # i need to get.

Link 35EL77H (tiller) part #42 http://www.boats.net/parts/search/BR...ASE/parts.html

Link 35EL77C (remote) part #42 http://www.boats.net/parts/search/BR...ASE/parts.html

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may be lucky and have gottin a control mota that already has a detent on it. The last 77 25 control one I bought didn't have one. As you may know the only difference between the 25s and 35s of the same yr is the carb. I have never bought a 35 but have converted 3 25hps to 35hp. Your two newer models also have much better exhaust chests than the 76. Hope this helps Gary