Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Oldman View Post
    US composites for glass and resins......Carbon-core for composite panels 4X8X3/4 prelaminated weighed 39lbs on my bathroom scales
    How strong are the panels? Can you stand on them without lower support?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chingadera View Post
    wow! Lol how fast did it run? This is awesome lol!
    We never put a speedo on it but I figure mid 80`s with the stock 200 then mid 90`s modified.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Da Bull that is awesome man! If I could hit mid 80's I would be thrilled! If I can keep the weight of the boat down I should be close I think. I know I will wind up heavier but if I can minimize any weight gains I should be able to maintain the hulls performance. the stock cap is fairly heavy compared to what I thought it would be. When setting up the boat should I try and balance the weight from front to back or keep weight slightly rearward? Someone told me to much weight in the rear could cause an accident. I know in my 20' bass boat I have most weight center to rearward but that's 20' and wider and heavier all around so I don't think it's comparable other than it's a pad hull also.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The panels are seem to be similar to plywood as far as strength but they do start loosing a lot when cut into ie. 4" strips. They are not very flexible as a sheet. As far as being able to stand on them, it would depend on span distance. My distances are only 10-12" and they are very sturdy. My best guess without experimentation is that they will span maybe 2' and be acceptable. My suggestion is to call them. I did before I bought and they seemed honest, knowledgeable, and helpful.
    Speed cost money. How fast you wanna go?
    I have done so much with so little for so long, I can now do the impossible with nothing!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I worked on the little Allison today. Gawd I hate grinding and cutting fiberglass. I see light though lol literally through the transom. There was a hairline fracture along the bottom edge and as I dug out the old wood a shot gun blast of holes appeared in the transom skin. I found all kinds of stuff from bondo, to aluminum foil used for glassing over foam to electrical parts poured in the foam, to peanut butter 1" thick and more cracks then locker room showers. I have a solid day of grinding and cutting ahead of me yet and then I can start setting up everything for glass. I will be doing the transom with Arjay and the kickers and bracing from penski board. The floor is rotted too but I'm leaving it until I get the transom half ass in as it's semi helping to hold the boat together. More to come in the next few weeks. 36 grit harbor freight disc's here I come baby!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1472.jpg   IMG_1477.jpg   IMG_1479.jpg   IMG_1481.jpg   IMG_1482.jpg  

IMG_1485.jpg   IMG_1486.jpg   IMG_1487.jpg   IMG_1484.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In almost forgot the floatation foam boxes were water logged like no other and I also found some cardboard used for form work. There wasn't much to this boat and I'm sure the 80's didn't have an economy to support too if the line workmanship or materials. I think it lasted pretty good considering the way it was made.

Have lived and worked in New Zealand ,Tahiti,Australia,Japan , south Korea, And now Suzhou in China
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    In almost forgot the floatation foam boxes were water logged like no other and I also found some cardboard used for form work. There wasn't much to this boat and I'm sure the 80's didn't have an economy to support too if the line workmanship or materials. I think it lasted pretty good considering the way it was made.
    BUT it may have lasted this long but think if it had been done properly using the same materials and FIRST CLASS workmanship you wouldn't be doing what you are having to do !
    MY point has and will always be THE CRAP YOU COVER UP TODAY WILL BE THE CRAP YOU DISCOVER A FEW MORE YEARS DOWN THE TRACK !! it always happens .

Quality costs less and always lasts a life time !!
    Messing round with boats is fun !! the learning never stops ,even after more than 30 years there's always something new happening somewhere ! BUT somethings never change and some problems never go away and just keep reoccurring !!so moved into Composite Forensics , Now that something completely new !!

Have lived and worked in New Zealand ,Tahiti,Australia,Japan , south Korea, And now Suzhou in China
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well I worked on the little Allison today. Gawd I hate grinding and cutting fiberglass. I see light though lol literally through the transom. There was a hairline fracture along the bottom edge and as I dug out the old wood a shot gun blast of holes appeared in the transom skin. I found all kinds of stuff from bondo, to aluminum foil used for glassing over foam to electrical parts poured in the foam, to peanut butter 1" thick and more cracks then locker room showers. I have a solid day of grinding and cutting ahead of me yet and then I can start setting up everything for glass. I will be doing the transom with Arjay and the kickers and bracing from penski board. The floor is rotted too but I'm leaving it until I get the transom half ass in as it's semi helping to hold the boat together. More to come in the next few weeks

. 36 grit harbor freight disc's here I come baby!
    I say swap some of those 36 grip that are way to fine for 24 grit or better still 16 grit discs !!!! are the best if you are re-glassing over the old surface !!
    Messing round with boats is fun !! the learning never stops ,even after more than 30 years there's always something new happening somewhere ! BUT somethings never change and some problems never go away and just keep reoccurring !!so moved into Composite Forensics , Now that something completely new !!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a pack of the 36 grit disk and I don't plan on going to town until next week so they will have to do for now. Hopefully tomorrow I can finish the cleanup and start making a few repairs.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tunnels View Post
    BUT it may have lasted this long but think if it had been done properly using the same materials and FIRST CLASS workmanship you wouldn't be doing what you are having to do !
    MY point has and will always be THE CRAP YOU COVER UP TODAY WILL BE THE CRAP YOU DISCOVER A FEW MORE YEARS DOWN THE TRACK !! it always happens .

Quality costs less and always lasts a life time !!
    Got to take the good out of every situation. If it wouldn't have had issues I wouldn't have been able to afford to buy the boat so in a way I'm glad. I'm not debating the workmanship, it was a good design with minimal cost and labor to be able to sell in the 1980's economy. They did what they had to do to make a buck. Going back with it I will try my best to build it for longevity in regards to what I have to work with and what I can afford. Will it be the best.....mmm more than likely not, but it will be the best that I can do with what I got.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Got to take the good out of every situation. If it wouldn't have had issues I wouldn't have been able to afford to buy the boat so in a way I'm glad. I'm not debating the workmanship, it was a good design with minimal cost and labor to be able to sell in the 1980's economy. They did what they had to do to make a buck. Going back with it I will try my best to build it for longevity in regards to what I have to work with and what I can afford. Will it be the best.....mmm more than likely not, but it will be the best that I can do with what I got.
    They did what they had to do to make a buck. stupidity !!! in reality better quality and better workmanship could have made more money than just a few bucks .That is stupid way of doing business !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well they are still in business and that's allot more than allot of companies can say. It's easy to look back and criticize but it's not as easy to look forward. Tons of boats were built similar in construction and 30 years of service life was probably pretty decent considering the way it was done. I honestly don't care because it gave me a chance to have the hull I've always wanted and set it up the way I wanted. I doubt I would have messed with it in good shape.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Clean up any oil and grease, grind well, then glass in new parts right away. It's that simple. Who cares, (i know you and I don't) how it was built originally. The boat lasted a long time, IMO. But finally came to the end of it's lifespan. Back then even Allison never thought their boats would still be around 30+ yrs later.

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I made the first repair to the hull this evening. I decided to go ahead and repair the crack at the bottom of the transom since I have the Arjay ordered. I had to cut back some of the stringer to give me some working room and it answered my questions on the stringers condition. lol I'll be replacing them when I pull up the floor after I get the transom in. Not sure if I should post pics on the next portion until it's done. I'm going to add 4~5 inches of gunwale height and transom height. Im dead set on it but not sure if I should post pics for fear of Allison purist uprising lol.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1491.jpg   IMG_1493.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You know, Allison still makes bass boats too....It will just be another Allison bass boat....

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast