Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Optima red top battery

I know the blue top Optima batteries are for marine use but would a red top Optima work ok for an outboard starting battery ? The red matches my boat better !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Probably no better, no worse. I think I remember reading that they are actually the same battery internally, just the blue has the marine terminals so you don't need the adapters.

Maintenance free batteries are generally not recommended for outboard marine applications due to the charging systems. May not apply if your mota' has an alternator.

That said I've been running a blue top for 2 seasons with a 9 amp system and holley blue pump with no issues. Due to the fuel pump, trim, and jack plate I don't ever really charge the battery though. I have no idea how old it is. It came with the boat, when it dies its replacement will be a conventional lead acid type.
    Josh Peterson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by STELLIX View Post
    I know the blue top Optima batteries are for marine use but would a red top Optima work ok for an outboard starting battery ? The red matches my boat better !
    The primary consideration for me would be deep cycle battery versus non-deep cycle battery. The red top is just a starting battery and it's not deep cycle. So, if for some reason, it gets extremely discharged or completely discharged it will never work the same especially if it is deep cycle more than once. This is the primary reason I use only yellow tops in our vehicles.
    If you're constantly on a trickle charger when not using the boat you probably will be OK.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As far as I know the red, yellow, and blue optimas are the same internally. The colors are a marketing strategy and the blue top does have the marine terminals...
    Josh Peterson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nitro_rat View Post
    As far as I know the red, yellow, and blue optimas are the same internally. The colors are a marketing strategy and the blue top does have the marine terminals...
    Nitro_rat - That's a common misconception; I wish they were all 'the same internally' because I could have saved money buying red tops over the years for boats and vehicles. You're kind of right if you compare the Yellow Top to the 'light gray' Blue Top as they are both designed for deep cycling...so those 2 are basically the same except for the addition of threaded studs on the Blue Top - the RED TOP and DARK GRAY BLUE TOP are not intended to be cycled, period; they are dedicated starting batteries ONLY.
    So, with that said, for the price difference I would never buy a red top for anything unless you're willing to replace early if, when it gets drained to zero...current draw, stereo, lights on, stored without charging, etc, etc.

Here's the skinny straight from Johnson Controls (Optima)...

https://www.optimabatteries.com/en-u...luetop-battery

https://www.optimabatteries.com/en-u...e-and-starting

By the way, every blue top or yellow top I've had the last 20 years has lasted at least 7 years.

6. Likes NICE PAIR liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wasvette View Post
    Nitro_rat - That's a common misconception; I wish they were all 'the same internally' because I could have saved money buying red tops over the years for boats and vehicles. You're kind of right if you compare the Yellow Top to the 'light gray' Blue Top as they are both designed for deep cycling...so those 2 are basically the same except for the addition of threaded studs on the Blue Top - the RED TOP and DARK GRAY BLUE TOP are not intended to be cycled, period; they are dedicated starting batteries ONLY.
    "Internally, our Group 31 barreries are identical, regardless of whether the lid of the battery is blue or yellow." -Optima web site

"The Group D31M BLUETOPs do have additional threaded termainals for marine accessories, but other than that and the color, the batteries are identical." -Optima web site

I went back through my notes (from talking to a guy on the inside at Optima years ago) and found this:

Mechanically Red, yellow, blue, dark grey case, light grey case, the batteries are IDENTICAL (other than the color of the plastic case)!

The difference is that the "cranking" batteries have a stronger acid solution. This means that the internal resistance is a little lower and they charge faster. It also means that the stronger acid destroys the lead faster especially if the battery is "deep cycled."

Optima only has one "cell" configuration. The 6 volt batteries have 3 of these cells, the 12 volt batteries get 6 of them. But deep cycle or not, those cells are IDENTICAL.

Now as the batteries are sealed, one cannot change the acid solution after the fact. The Optima "deep cycle" solution is the same as Odyssey and any of the other rebranded spiral cell batteries.

I would just steer clear of the Optima "starting" batteries as the higher acid concentration seems to just cause problems and short battery life.

Misconception? Not totally...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info explaining why some models will tolerate deep cycling and some won't. Didn't know that was why. So, if I'm reading that correctly, they are not 'all the same'. The primary objective here was to inform the OP and others to avoid models that don't do well with deep cycling (like aforementioned Red Top) if, in fact, their application would involve a lot of charging and discharging.

Good stuff though because I was not aware that the acid strengths were different.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Right, they're all the same, but they aren't all the same!

The red top and cranking blue top (dark gray case) have a stronger acid concentration and are not suitable for deep cycling.

I would avoid those all together, especially for a marine application.

To the OP, don't buy a red just because it matches your boat!
    Josh Peterson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=nitro_rat;2956045]Right, they're all the same, but they aren't all the same!

I call this "Exactly the same...but different". More life confusion! Gary
    "12" Super Lite Tunnel (11') "88" 25 Yammy twin carb "BANANA SPLIT"
    "77" Hydrostream Viper "87" 140 Rude heavy modded w/15" mid, Bobs nose and lwp "DANGER ZONE"
    "72" Checkmate MX-13 "80" 75 Rude w/15"mid and Nitro Lu (to be restored)

"Too much is never enough" Keith Richards " Dreams become reality via hard work and perseverance" G.A.Carbonneau

"This coming from an old man that strapped two bananas together, hung a motor on it and calls it a boat" XstreamVking

11. Likes sonicss33 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Optima = made in mexico. I wont buy them now that they moved and fired so many Americans. Quality is not what it was when they mfg'ed in the US either. American company's that move operations to other countries with no regard to the damage they do to the workers that made them great, should be treated like the traitors they are.
    Last edited by XstreamVking; 05-25-2017 at 08:41 AM.

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

13. Likes olboatman, NICE PAIR liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So what would be be the best battery to use with a 225 promax outboard?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do know that running any Optima battery very low can demand some very creative ways to get to get it to accept a charge. Had two of the red tops in my cars, Never had any issues, but I switched back to wet cells.

Nitro_Rat... You are correct about using them(or any AGM battery) on OBs, or any engine that does not regulate the charging system.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmbo View Post
    I do know that running any Optima battery very low can demand some very creative ways to get to get it to accept a charge. Had two of the red tops in my cars, Never had any issues, but I switched back to wet cells.

Nitro_Rat... You are correct about using them(or any AGM battery) on OBs, or any engine that does not regulate the charging system.
    Had issues with optimas ... back to wet cells for me also.
    Wriggleys gum makes me think of boating, "Double your engines, Double your fun"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Lowes online has 1000cca sealed marine batts for 100 bucks. Deka brand which are good ones. Order online and pu at store. Have several. Group 24, Best deal I have found.

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

18. Likes NICE PAIR liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by XstreamVking View Post
    Lowes online has 1000cca sealed marine batts for 100 bucks. Deka brand which are good ones. Order online and pu at store. Have several. Group 24, Best deal I have found.
    Perfect! I was just going to pickup a battery for my Bronco. That should do the trick (over kill is good) and the price is rite!!!! Thanks Cullen.
    Gary
    "12" Super Lite Tunnel (11') "88" 25 Yammy twin carb "BANANA SPLIT"
    "77" Hydrostream Viper "87" 140 Rude heavy modded w/15" mid, Bobs nose and lwp "DANGER ZONE"
    "72" Checkmate MX-13 "80" 75 Rude w/15"mid and Nitro Lu (to be restored)

"Too much is never enough" Keith Richards " Dreams become reality via hard work and perseverance" G.A.Carbonneau

"This coming from an old man that strapped two bananas together, hung a motor on it and calls it a boat" XstreamVking