Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So here's what I learned if anybody stumbles upon this thread in the future in the same predicament...
    Just what I learned from 1st time working with Gelcoat

Clear/neutral base is not for repairing white. White base is for repairing white.

Mix lots of extra of each batch and set it aside before catalyzing cause if that batch is the right color you're gonna really wish you had more of the same to fill in pinholes and feather out

Don't switch between tubes/pints whatever of any components... I had one gel tube bias yellow with the addition of MEK
    and when it ran out, switched to a pint of the same exact brand/type, it biased toward blue with the addition of MEK!
    Had to learn a new color mix in the middle of the job

If you want 100% vanishing repair spots - probably need to spray, not gonna get there with gel and brush on.. in my opinion
    I think I got it within 90% and the ace in the pocket is that a graphic goes on top the console and will cover what little imperfection remains

Thanks again to the help

2. Likes XstreamVking liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    In lieu of spraying, you can squegee several thin layers of gell on the whole surface and finish out normally. It's tedious, but sometimes you just can't spray....

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And in this case spraying was not an option due to a project goal of not buying specialty equipment for one-time use..
    A high volume compressor and spray equipment would have blown out the budget.

I do wonder if the acetate film method may have caused or increased the pinhole prevalence.
    .. maybe its in the technique of laying it down
    I found that it would lay down nice but then the little voids would appear and smearing them out would smear the gel out with them.
    I had the best results at the end, laying down the acetate and just not touching it at all
    Next time I think I'll try spraying PVA instead and see how that compares

Have lived and worked in New Zealand ,Tahiti,Australia,Japan , south Korea, And now Suzhou in China
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

holes

Quote Originally Posted by NeedOne View Post
    And in this case spraying was not an option due to a project goal of not buying specialty equipment for one-time use..

I do wonder if the acetate film method may have caused or increased the pinhole prevalence.
    I found that it would lay down nice but then the little voids would appear and smearing them out would smear the gel out with them.
    I had the best results at the end, laying down the acetate and just not touching it at all
    Pin holing is usually caused by porosity !! caused by excessive catalyst in most all cases !!
    All Gel coats and any resins all produce gas when mixed together with catalyst ! the catalyst type also plays a part in all this also , as well as the ratio you used .Resins most times do not use the same catalyst as do gel coats !
    Messing round with boats is fun !! the learning never stops ,even after more than 30 years there's always something new happening somewhere ! BUT somethings never change and some problems never go away and just keep reoccurring !!so moved into Composite Forensics , Now that something completely new !!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

There is a product called wax-sol. Gives the same surface cure as the film and pva. Just add a small amount to the last layer of gell and it gives a hard sandable/buffable surface. Basically it is a wax in a styrene thinner. Rises to the top and seals the surface.

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tunnels View Post
    Pin holing is usually caused by porosity !! caused by excessive catalyst in most all cases !!
    All Gel coats and any resins all produce gas when mixed together with catalyst ! the catalyst type also plays a part in all this also , as well as the ratio you used .Resins most times do not use the same catalyst as do gel coats !
    That is interesting, I hadn't considered it.
    I'll admit I may have been a little imprecise on all factors.. including catalyst ratio

Steep learning curve on the gelwork.. definitely first part of the project that has truly been challenging

Have lived and worked in New Zealand ,Tahiti,Australia,Japan , south Korea, And now Suzhou in China
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That is interesting, I hadn't considered it.
    I'll admit I may have been a little imprecise on all factors.. including catalyst ratio

Steep learning curve on the gelwork.. definitely first part of the project that has truly been challenging
    There are simple basic rules when dealing with all resins of each of the 3 different types and all gel coats and for someone that has little to no experience with either you can get into lots a problems as has been discovered . Knowing and understanding the products you are working with is really important . Even quite a few people that have been in the industry for a long period of time can have little understanding of the different product there are that can be used and how to use them !!!
    All you have to do before you start is ask questions and tell what you are wanting to do before you actually start any project of any size !!
    Messing round with boats is fun !! the learning never stops ,even after more than 30 years there's always something new happening somewhere ! BUT somethings never change and some problems never go away and just keep reoccurring !!so moved into Composite Forensics , Now that something completely new !!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2