Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For those who knew him, Edward John "Ted" Doc Morgan

Passed February 26 at 83 years. Obituary on Fond du Lac Reporter obituary page.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bernie View Post
    Passed February 26 at 83 years. Obituary on Fond du Lac Reporter obituary page.
    Courtesy of Bernie and The Fond du Lac Reporter:

Edward John "Doc" "Ted" Morgan

Morgan, Edward John "Ted" "Doc"

MORGAN, Edward John "Ted", "Doc", 83, died suddenly, but peacefully on February 26, 2017.

The son of Thomas Edward and Gladys (Kilgore) Morgan, Ted was born in Sydney, Australia and raised in small village of Katoomba in the Blue Mountains. He graduated with highest honors from the University of Sydney and earned his PhD at Cambridge University, England.

Coming to the US in 1960 to teach math, engineering, and physics at Case Western Reserve in Cleveland, Ohio, Ted moved to Fond du Lac in 1967 to become Mercury Marine's Director of Advanced Research. Retiring as Merc's Director of Advanced Engineering in 1991, Ted formed SIETEC Corp. and engaged in the design and build of small diesel-fueled engines for NASA, DARPA and the military. The holder of a number of patents and author of numerous technical papers, he was member of the Society of Automobile Engineers (SAE) and the Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA) for over 35 years.

A highly competitive athlete, Ted enjoyed marathons triathlons, off-road biking, downhill skiing in Colorado, lunch hour swimming, and hiking and cross country skiing in the Kettle Moraine. A true renaissance man he immersed himself in scientific journals and books, classical music, astronomy, mathematical puzzles and games, woodland restoration, the history of science and the study of economics. Ted also enjoyed watching NASCAR and the geometry of golf.

Dr. Morgan is survived by his wife, Linda "Lin" Watson Morgan, his children: Stephen (Lois Clark) Morgan of St. Paul, MN, David Morgan of Marshall, and Laura Morgan of Watertown and their mother, Eileen Morgan of Sun Prairie. Survivors also include Lin's children, Dena Sedlmayr (Todd Peterson), Peggy (Jeffrey) Maertz, Sondi (Scott) Cummins, the 8 grandchildren and 2 great-grandchildren. Ted is also survived by Morgan and Kilgore family in Australia, Scotland, England and Singapore, as well as former students and colleagues the world over.

Ted was preceded in death by his parents, his brother, Thomas Russell Morgan and his life-long friend, Stephen Mandel.

A memorial service and Celebration of Life will be held Saturday, April 8, 2017, 4:30 p.m. at the Holiday Inn Convention Center, 625 Rolling Meadows Drive, Fond du Lac, WI.

Last edited by Bob V; 03-27-2017 at 08:01 PM.

3. Thanks GENE LANHAM thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had some wild times with "Doc Morgan"----- particularly in Paris with Dave Parkinson and Annette De Vies ( monsieur Bladinaires secretary). A fun loving guy -----not over popular with the folk at high- performance. Get him a tad pissed and he was a party animal.
    I liked him and was happy to call him a friend-----a very bright lad, .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

'Ted' Morgan .....

Sad news, I really enjoyed bantering with Ted. It was his C6 project that introduced us and caused us to spend quite a bit of time discussing the good and bad of that project. After the first few prototypes, we built the C6 at Racing and sent them to Ted for a dyno check before installing them on a boat. I remember telling him to pay attention to a couple of serial numbers when we sent the Morgan City powerheads to him. He asked why and I just said they were a little different. Seebold & Hering finished 1st & 2nd and after the race Ted asked if they were running those two powerheads, I said "yes". He smiled and said "you're not going to tell me what you guys did to them are you?", I smiled and said "No!"

Another time he showed up late for some C6 testing we were doing on Lake Butte des Mort. I brought one off the test boats back to the plant to pick up another and found Ted standing there trying to figure out how he was going to get out to the test area. I told him all of the safety boats were already out there and if he wanted to join them he would have to ride on the cowling of the Molinari I was taking to the course. He climbed on behind me, no jacket or helmet and away we went. He was good up to about 50, then suggested that might be fast enough. I told him that I finally had him right where I wanted him and was going to go faster unless I got some answers .... 1970 through 1973, I think it was a fun time for Mr. Ted Morgan!

Ted is 3rd from the right at the bar, Kaukauna kilo record run 1973 .....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	136 Kaukauna Run.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	84.4 KB 
ID:	370768
    Last edited by willabee; 03-29-2017 at 07:16 AM.

6. Likes Mark75H, SCT liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scan.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	370928Ted could relax when he wasn't worried about Hering blowing the boat over.......RIP

8. Thanks Mark75H thanked for this post
    Likes willabee, Mark75H liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

10. Likes Mark75H liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FUJIMO View Post
    Havent seen Bobby in twenty years-------Mark keeps in touch with his boy.
    Typical Ted, he could fall asleep on a bed of nails if the ship was in safe hands

12. Likes Mark75H liked this post