Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

T2x or anyone else familiar with layout of 21 Challenger

Have a 1980 Hammond, just acquired and have a question on drainage. Front berth area gets some mysterious water in it... not much but maybe an inch or so on the carpeted area. Cannot for the life of me find where it has any passage to run back through to the bilge. Can't imagine there is no drainage, but I am curious if anyone can provide insight on the original Challenger and/or particularly the first generation Hammond. Thought I had read in some much older posts that Hammond was one of the few with some blessings and perhaps agreement to build his version with not only permission but maybe even hardware/specs/schedules.... Anyway, having a technical drawing would be incredible. But even some input on existence of drainage or how to safely create it would be some very helpful input. I certainly don't want to just arbitrarily punch a hole and hope the water finds its way to the aft bilge area. I believe mine has a 24 gallon tank. Never having had the flooring/cockpit deck off, I am wondering if any channel runs under the tank, down the center?

Certainly a fun boat. I fondly remember the 21 Shadow while growing up in Ft. Lauderdale. Finding the history of the Hammond on a forum here made me elated to find the Hammond version. While not the original by any stretch, it feels solid and handles well. Has a 260 Mercruiser in it with a 14.5 x 23 stainless thru-hub style cleaver. Guessing it gets high 50's... maybe 60. Not a raped ape, but fast enough and will easily pull a tube, or wake surfboard etc, on occasion. Thanks for a great place to hang out and get educated..... and if I posted this in the wrong area, apologies... New to the site as a member.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    most of those boats do not have a drain

one can be added, but it involves removing the fuel tank and either adding a sub floor or a drain tube
    i have a carrazza here now and it has a sub floor and a drain even though the boat is decked almost to the bow

3. Thanks CanyonDoug thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Attached is a pic of an original challenger with original tank removed the bottom of tank has about a 3" flat to allow water to drain through bulkheads to bilge
    77 challenger 200 yami
    82 shadow 3.6 gt sold
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=g...&v=09QazIq2FgY

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks very much for taking time to replies. I appreciate the info. Not keen on removing tank and floor at this time but at least I know that is an option if I simply cannot locate any center flat or channel area. Still amazed it is so elusive or non-existent on my Hammond version. A boat without drainage to the bilge seems to be out of the norm. Gracias again for replying.
    Last edited by CanyonDoug; 03-24-2017 at 08:16 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Team Shadow had a similar issue which eventually caused tank to leak.There was no way for any water to leave the tank compartment. There was also a small void under the tank compartment which also didn't drain in to the bilge. Before I found out my tank was leaking I was able to make a drain hole under the tank compartment. Started with a very small bit just barely going through and then kept making it bigger and then used a round file and dremel to make a 3/4 inch hole. Once the tank started leakingI pulled the tank and refiberglassed the compartment and made passage ways and two drain holes in to the bilge.

7. Thanks CanyonDoug thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More very useful info. I will try carefully creating a drain hole.... Curious, though... Just replaced the sending unit on mine and the tank would seem to be aluminum, but maybe just the area where the unit goes in. How did yours start to leak? Was it a glass tank that delaminated due to bilge moisture? When you pulled the tank, how was the surrounding structure and stringers in that area? Trapped water is a real concern to me.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All aluminum tank foamed in. Tank compartment wasn't water tight and no drain holes near transom. So foam got wet and after 25 years tank pitted through. Some of the surrounding area was slightly rotted which I repaired.

10. Thanks CanyonDoug thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pennsauken-20140323-00278.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	407.1 KB 
ID:	370669

12. Thanks CanyonDoug thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pennsauken-20140426-00284.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	399.6 KB 
ID:	370670

14. Thanks CanyonDoug thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remarkable over-sight for such an otherwise well designed and built boat. Guess none of us are perfect. But your further input underscores the importance of rectifying drain issues. Many thanks for your additional time and input on this. Very helpful info.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You wouldn't happen to have a shot of the tank in place and/or tank dimensions, would you? Admittedly, I am just a bit uneasy about drilling into an area where the tank resides. wondering if I can get water to pass from the bow area to the bilge with a hole low to the bottom. But not having seen the tank, I am not sure if it runs lengthwise fore and aft in that recess area or if it bridges over it, leaving a safe channel to drill in to...?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the tank in my 77 was the original stamped 3-77 when i pulled it out 3 years ago..it still was not leaking but since we had it open decided to change it
    It was not foamed in, instead flanges where attached to the forward and aft bulk heads to secure it, there was also foam cushions set below and above so when the floor was reattached it sandwiched the tank in place

The expanding foam holds it securely but also traps water around the tank which over time causes corrosion
    77 challenger 200 yami
    82 shadow 3.6 gt sold
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=g...&v=09QazIq2FgY

18. Thanks CanyonDoug thanked for this post