Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nose cone or not ?

I need a little advice. I'm finishing up my Hydrostream Vector rebuild and I'm getting things together to rig it. I have a 3" setback jack plate and a Mercury XRI 2.5 liter 150. Do I need a cone with low water pickup or is running a stock lower unit better? I've heard a cone can slow down some boats under 80mph

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A nose cone on most boats will show no advantage until around 80 or so and can cause a loss of speed due to increased length which when buried in the water creates increased drag. The lower needs to be on the surface to work correctly.

Rock
    Team Junk

No sparkling wiggles in here, only dump truck grinches.

"Screamin Heathen"

3. Likes Jimboat, whipper liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will the low water pickup allow me to run my motor higher and be able to use a surfacing prop? Or being that I'm only running a 150 should I keep my motor lower and use a regular prop? The boat is pretty light so I'm hoping to see speeds in the 70's

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I believe it will benefit you.
    If you run a surfacing prop it needs to be just that, depending on how high you go and you can only go so high without a low water pickup.
    And..... Later your going to want more speed, and you will pass that point where you will need the nose cone to keep things running good.

I agree with Rock... 80 + or - is the threshold for the nose cone on a V6 lower unit.

Blowing out at that speed is an unwanted surprise... Not good to drop the bow that quick. Jmo.
    James H. W2F a V-King... Want 2 Fly a V-King

Dedicated Site for Hydrostreams >> http://hydrostreamforums.com/
    My Project 1979 V-King restore >> http://hydrostreamforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2761

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    is the smaller diameter case preferred over the bigger diameter?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anything that reduces drag will improve performance. The trick with the smaller cases is keeping one together surfacing. It's pretty hard on them.

Rock
    Team Junk

No sparkling wiggles in here, only dump truck grinches.

"Screamin Heathen"

8. Likes W2F a V-King liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm getting ready to start testing soon with the same thing. i've got an old 1979 mariner lower, with a bobs cone, i'm thinking about looking for a different unit, what do you recommend rock? CLE ?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	miragemotorn.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	370341
    I upgraded the clamp bracket to a newer one, just got a 2.5 powerhead to replace this one, so lower is my next thing to tackle. any suggestions?

dan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I blew up 3 small gear cases by surfacing them. Then I went CLE and broke a propshaft. Apparently common, partly because they are old. If I had to buy a case tomorrow it would be a sportmaster.

11. Thanks stivov1 thanked for this post
    Likes whipper liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder if I should just stick with my stock lower unit and just try to find a prop that will work. The motor came off a pretty heavy fishing boat and the prop that came with it is a 26P Trophy 4 blade. I'm guessing it's not going to work on the Vector.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by STELLIX View Post
    I wonder if I should just stick with my stock lower unit and just try to find a prop that will work. The motor came off a pretty heavy fishing boat and the prop that came with it is a 26P Trophy 4 blade. I'm guessing it's not going to work on the Vector.
    Sure it can. If you want you can plug the top 3 holes on your stock lower ( if it is an 8 hole fish motor LU ) and use the Trophy and jack it up some. Experiment with it. What works on one boat may or not work on another.

I would use a water pressure gauge and a temp gauge to be sure you don't loose pressure, and keep an eye on temp. That's a light fast hull, raising the motor should help. Try the prop you have, go from there.
    James H. W2F a V-King... Want 2 Fly a V-King

Dedicated Site for Hydrostreams >> http://hydrostreamforums.com/
    My Project 1979 V-King restore >> http://hydrostreamforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2761

14. Likes whipper liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm probably going to give it a try. I found a good deal on a small gear case complete lower with a cone and low water pickup and I didn't want to pass it up.

16. Likes whipper liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Youll always get our money back with cones cases more so than unconed around hear anyway. You could probably just keep the old one as a spare or sell it to a fisherman and pay for the new one. Coned is the way to go because with your hull surfaced with a say a 28 Drag3 or ET type prop a 150 will probably bust 80 conditions permitted. But as was said you need to learn about surfacing and trim before ya take to the water a little because the feeling is going to be different. Like VKing said nothing wrong with a good old reliable trophy. They are whats called a semi surface prop over a surface prop. Its arguably one of the best ones to learn how to ballance your hull above 60 with out going to high until ya get the hang of the chine walking. They do fine 1/4 below the pad and up to even also but 1/4 below to 1/8 below is probably a better place to start. Like King said. If you dont have a water pressure gauge GET ONE!!!! also a TEMP gage GET ONE. haha The two most important must haves for running fast with a surfacing gear case. Any gear case really i dont know how anyone can run with out them. If my temp Gage stops i stop. I take it easy to the boat launch and replace before my motor hits the water again. Anyway. Good deal your off to the races with that boat and setup now. Search chine walk and read lots. Also search water pressure and temperature. Read and get to know these parameters and trust your gauges. to much trim surfaced reduces water pressure heating up your engine. you basically just need to know were good and bad are and stay with in those limits and all will go well. Have fun and be safe!! were your PFD!! lol

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    I blew up 3 small gear cases by surfacing them. Then I went CLE and broke a propshaft. Apparently common, partly because they are old. If I had to buy a case tomorrow it would be a sportmaster.
    Torque master second. But for sure SM first for me also. i just got a Coned SM last Aug because my small case 200 shaft snaped! if i wasn't in such a hurry to get back on the water i would have taken my time and got a SM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just look back every few min's and make sure the motor is still peeing, thats how I know I'm staying cool! LOL JK

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm pretty sure my stock lower is the bigger size gear case, I'll have to measure it. If it is would I be better off to install a cone with low water pickup on it or buy the small case that already has one? Would the bigger one be more durable?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast