Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Home Build Advise, Palm Coast Fl.

I bought a lot in the Palm Coast Plantation, about 12 miles south of St Augustine. I have been looking at the builders in the area and it seems most of the larger ones are just sales companies, they over see the paper work and the construction but they hire out the builds. I would like to cut out the middleman in order to get a better price, has anyone done that, is it worth the risks? I want to build before the next per sq ft increase jumps up, still is somewhat low now. I have been told that a build with all the extras runs about 322K for a 2200 sq ft home, counting permits, final price, cement block, tile roof, granite counters, tray ceilings, and so on. Any suggestions?
    INXS

88 Checkmate/Starflite/225 Johnson
    Member, The Paul Revere Society
    Always Live Life In Excess

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All you need is a good contractor. I have a friend down her in Ft Lauderdale that does everything. Shame he won't go that far north. I do have a sister at Carpenter Contractors. You could give them a call and see if they can help............ They have an office in Winter Haven http://carpentercontractors.com/about-us/
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors". Plato .

3. Thanks INXS thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by INXS View Post
    I bought a lot in the Palm Coast Plantation, about 12 miles south of St Augustine. I have been looking at the builders in the area and it seems most of the larger ones are just sales companies, they over see the paper work and the construction but they hire out the builds. I would like to cut out the middleman in order to get a better price, has anyone done that, is it worth the risks? I want to build before the next per sq ft increase jumps up, still is somewhat low now. I have been told that a build with all the extras runs about 322K for a 2200 sq ft home, counting permits, final price, cement block, tile roof, granite counters, tray ceilings, and so on. Any suggestions?
    I thought you were going with a local contractor that does ICF? You aren't going to get around the fact that the builders these days are simply general contractors. They all use contract trades, virtually none have their own trades on payroll but being the GC puts them on the hook for inspections, delivery dates and the finances. I thought that's what Florida Green was.

Bill Stoughton built my house. Here's a link to his new company, give him a call. http://www.stoughtondurancustomhomes.com/
    Last edited by mjw930; 03-24-2017 at 07:03 AM.
    Mark

5. Thanks INXS thanked for this post
    #2 iron from the Mayo clinic, Fla. / Blue Ridge, VA.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this is one of my neighbors, have seen him build some majestic projects. may just give him a call. great vision type of projects, major big time. hope this helps.

http://urbanpartnersconstruction.com/
    most overnite successes usually take at least 10 years

Certified turd polisher,

7. Thanks INXS thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ronnie is a neighbor, the projects I've seen him complete are absolutely excellent, he did a house down the street he built from the ground up with a metal roof that cost 45k.

Certified turd polisher,

9. Thanks INXS thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, I understand the process, I'm sure most are just GCs. My views are that these larger ones are just bloated GCs with large sales staffs. Hell the one dummy asked if I could call him back later as he was at the airport waiting to pick up a possible client, some 30 miles away, as if that's not overhead. I want the basic contractor, not a large homes sales company. All homes have to pass inspections, basic GC will cover most of the construction himself, his crew. I just don't want to throw away an extra 30K if I don't have to.

Oh, mjw930, I have since learned that the payback on ICF takes too long, that those 200mph wind claims do not do you much good if your roof blows off or if the windows blow out. Concrete block seems the best bang for the buck, ICF can cost me an extra 13-15% on my home, eff on concrete block and interior Styrofoam is nearly as good. Oh, Mr Fun, we will be down in May, hope to meet up with you all again!
    INXS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, found home plan, Google Family Home Plan # 55873, 3 bed, 3 bath, listed at 2377 but I would cut it to about a little over my 2200 required min. only 37 ft wide, lot is 70 by 200. Will work great on as my lot has water on the back and on the right side, just need to switch the left right lay out. Hey I could have done even better, my agent, sweet thing, told me to jump on a ICW lot that was asking 150K back in early Nov, said she heard they would take a fast 140K. lot had great views, 750K to 1 million homes around it and that it could be sold for at least 200K W/in months. Sure as hell it sold, not sure the price, but 2 nearby lots with cross ICW views of a trailer park are now listed at 220 and 228K, wow I could have done even better! 140K for .5 acre on the ICW with average neighbors homes at around 900K. Prices in the Palm Plantation, Palm Coast, are now up about 15% since I bought!
    INXS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW Greg, I owe you and my Scream friends big time having said WTH let me post about investing in land in Georgia yrs ago. You guys pointed me to Florida, gave me great advise! Thanks, esp Mr Fun, I still recall your story, of your investments, and your advice when we met!
    INXS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wanted ICF 10 years ago and I came to the same conclusion, the payback is too long and the benefits are moot if the supporting structures fail. Great technology and when it becomes on par with traditional concrete block it's a no brainer but we aren't there yet.

Note, our area is in the midst of a skilled trades shortage. After the bust we lost more than 50% of the local skilled trades and now that construction is booming again the industry is sucking wind trying to keep up. The best hedge is to hire a GC / Builder who's established and gets first crack at the trades available. We interviewed 9 builders back in '06 before we picked one and even then the builders long term trades relationship was critical. But I'm sure you know all this.

Another builder to talk to would be Kargar Construction, they are building some really nice and innovative homes but I don't know how far north of Ormond / Daytona they will build.
    Mark

14. Thanks INXS thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am only 30 mins from Daytona and will look into them next week. Thanks
    INXS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mr Fun,
    Does he only do corporate work or does he also build on his own? Trying to advoid the extra layer of GC but might have to settle for them, works as a 2nd quality control.
    INXS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes, he does custom homes. I have another guy in the neighborhood that is a smaller contractor that may better suit your needs, and does outstanding work. Urban Partners is first class.

Certified turd polisher,

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mr fun View Post
    yes, he does custom homes. I have another guy in the neighborhood that is a smaller contractor that may better suit your needs, and does outstanding work. Urban Partners is first class.
    Thanks I will finalize my plans in the next few days and will gove them a call. Hope to have at least 3 builders bidding on my plans. Hope to start building asap, that 16 yr high consumer confidence ratting means people will be spending, per sq ft price will rise very soon.
    INXS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mr fun View Post
    Ronnie is a neighbor, the projects I've seen him complete are absolutely excellent, he did a house down the street he built from the ground up with a metal roof that cost 45k.
    Mr Fun, do you have Ronnie,s phone number or the builder down the street from you. Not sure if he works for the company or is he a private contractor, or both. Lools lile you mentionef teo builders? Using a i phone so its a bit tricky tracking things, working 10pm to 6am shift does help. Anyway thanls.
    INXS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes, I can get contact info on the other contractor, he's doing major work on his home at the end of our street, just need to catch him. dealing with a dementia related episode with my mother as in in lost over night 2 nights ago. kinda got my spare time used up, but I want to help you as much as I can.

Certified turd polisher,

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast