Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    got a few more hrs on core yesterday.was looking at thr rear brace that butts up against the two floatation boxes.cut this out and next thing I see is a river of water from both sides,these will be history.i may leave some of the box where it connects to the transom and the hull on the sides for strength.will look kinda like a knee or "L" brace.bottom core has some very rotten spots along with some good.i have jumped in with two feet and I'm going to replace it all.!.not to sure on the stringers yet,need some more removal of glass on both sides to see if the are compromised.the work I did yesterday kinda kicked my butt,its my B-day today and I'm taking the DAYOFF!.I am a pararaplegic and getting aroundin the boat is very difficult with my spinal cord issues.but I'm not going to let it whip me.!!
    Last edited by J.R.; 05-11-2017 at 03:56 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You have a lot of determination.... Keep after it! Happy B-day. Truly inspirational story.

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

Have lived and worked in New Zealand ,Tahiti,Australia,Japan , south Korea, And now Suzhou in China
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R. View Post
    got a few more hrs on core yesterday.was looking at thr rear brace that butts up against the two floatation boxes.cut this out and next thing I see is a river of water from both sides,these will be history.i may leave some of the box where it connects to the transom and the hull on the sides for strength.will look kinda like a knee or "L" brace.bottom core has some very rotten spots along with some good.i have jumped in with two feet and I'm going to replace it all.!.not to sure on the stringers yet,need some more removal of glass on both sides to see if the are compromised.the work I did yesterday kinda kicked my butt,its my B-day today and I'm taking the DAYOFF!.I am a quad raplegic and getting aroundin the boat is very difficult with my spinal cord issues.but I'm not going to let it whip me.!!
    You also have my full !attention and all the help I can give you!! ask any questions you can think of no matter how trivial it might seem at the time ! We are all here for you !
    Messing round with boats is fun !! the learning never stops ,even after more than 30 years there's always something new happening somewhere ! BUT somethings never change and some problems never go away and just keep reoccurring !!so moved into Composite Forensics , Now that something completely new !!

4. Thanks One Oldman thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    did some work Tuesday.I just had to cut into the floatation boxes,and sure enough,they were wet.A 4" wide strip was rotted.So out they will come.the foam is a PITA to get out for me.I don`t believe that there is any structural integrity from the box where it joins the back and sides that amounts to anything.I may fab some kind of support?My best boating buddy told me that this hull was water logged,and this is why the damn thing wouldn`t "GO".I`m guessing that by the time I get all the water and rotted wood out I will see a 100 to 200 lbs weight reduction,may be more.there was a lot of water in there.OK,back out today.

6. Likes XstreamVking liked this post
    Have lived and worked in New Zealand ,Tahiti,Australia,Japan , south Korea, And now Suzhou in China
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R. View Post
    did some work Tuesday.I just had to cut into the floatation boxes,and sure enough,they were wet.A 4" wide strip was rotted.So out they will come.the foam is a PITA to get out for me.I don`t believe that there is any structural integrity from the box where it joins the back and sides that amounts to anything.I may fab some kind of support?My best boating buddy told me that this hull was water logged,and this is why the damn thing wouldn`t "GO".I`m guessing that by the time I get all the water and rotted wood out I will see a 100 to 200 lbs weight reduction,may be more.there was a lot of water in there.OK,back out today.
    All the things filled with the dreaded flotation foam maybe a good idea at the time but never lasts ! From day one the workmanship thing is the biggest fault of all ! The workers making these boats have no idea of the consequent's of there shoddy slap happy habits will cause as time goes on ! And the company owners need to be held directly responsible along with there staff for the rubbish they produced Then and are probably still doing the same things now as there staff have never learned any other way of working !!.
    There is no excuse !! with skilled caring knowledgeable staff using the exact same materials that boat could be still as good as the day it was first made regardless of its age ! Problems usually always start at the top management level and trickle all way down to the slaves on the factory floor !
    35 YEARS in the industry and a few different counties things have never improved much Believe me
    Last edited by tunnels; 03-23-2017 at 08:24 PM.
    Messing round with boats is fun !! the learning never stops ,even after more than 30 years there's always something new happening somewhere ! BUT somethings never change and some problems never go away and just keep reoccurring !!so moved into Composite Forensics , Now that something completely new !!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tunnels View Post
    All the things filled with the dreaded flotation foam maybe a good idea at the time but never lasts ! From day one the workmanship thing is the biggest fault of all ! The workers making these boats have no idea of the consequent's of there shoddy slap happy habits will cause as time goes on ! And the company owners need to be held directly responsible along with there staff for the rubbish they produced Then and are probably still doing the same things now as there staff have never learned any other way of working !!.
    There is no excuse !! with skilled caring knowledgeable staff using the exact same materials that boat could be still as good as the day it was first made regardless of its age ! Problems usually always start at the top management level and trickle all way down to the slaves on the factory floor !
    35 YEARS in the industry and a few different counties things have never improved much Believe me
    I recall J.R. is rebuilding a 36 year old hull but I guess we all have standards. If you want to deliver your lecture, call 865-983-5920. Ask for Paul or Darris and that you have some advice for how to build a quality boat.
    Last edited by BarryStrawn; 03-26-2017 at 05:30 PM.

9. Thanks XstreamVking thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryStrawn View Post
    I recall J.R. is rebuilding a 36 year old hull but I guess we all have standards. If you want to deliver your lecture, call 865-983-5920. Ask for Paul or Darris and that you have some advice for how to build a quality boat.
    How many companies and people do you know that hold qualifications to build boats to the strict codes laid down by any Marine survey companies and at the end of the job the owner is presented with his certificate guaranteeing the quality not only of all the materials but for the way in which it gets built but for the workmanship of all the workers that built his boat ? .
    In some countries you have to hold a written certificate that you have passed there tests not only for general knowledge and can read plans but quality of workmanship and skills just to be able to set foot on site!
    So there is only one way of building anything and that's the right way !! this is not a lecture but a true statement of fact !!.
    Last edited by tunnels; 03-27-2017 at 06:37 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tunnels View Post
    How many companies and people do you know that hold qualifications to build boats to the strict codes laid down by any Marine survey companies and at the end of the job the owner is presented with his certificate guaranteeing the quality not only of all the materials but for the way in which it gets built but for the workmanship of all the workers that built his boat ? .
    In some countries you have to hold a written certificate that you have passed there tests not only for general knowledge and can read plans but quality of workmanship and skills just to be able to set foot on site!
    So there is only one way of building anything and that's the right way !! this is not a lecture but a true statement of fact !!.
    I am 100 percent certain there are none making any performance hull I would be interested in purchasing. Not now, and not four decades ago. Your facts, lecture, rant, whatever, is irrelevant.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I am 100 percent certain there are none making any performance hull I would be interested in purchasing. Not now, and not four decades ago. Your facts, lecture, rant, whatever, is irrelevant.
    If you had the choice between a boat that had no known history and the company had closed ,and one with a marine certificate showing its standard which one would you buy?
    Tell me what is the difference between a performance boat and a non performance boat !
    How do you classify each category ? is it material's used ? the people that built the boat ?or even the reputation of the company that it came from? im interested to know !!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would never buy a boat with no known history. Marine certificate from whoever or not. Company closed or not.

This thread was about a rebuild of an Allison. They have been making performance boats since 1955. I've been a customer since 1979.

To keep this real simple, my answer is Yes to the remainder of your questions. But I wouldn't put much faith in any "certificate" from anyone in the marine industry.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'd love to be a fly on the wall for that conversation LOL

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would never buy a boat with no known history. Marine certificate from whoever or not. Company closed or not.

This thread was about a rebuild of an Allison. They have been making performance boats since 1955. I've been a customer since 1979.

To keep this real simple, my answer is Yes to the remainder of your questions. But I wouldn't put much faith in any "certificate" from anyone in the marine industry.
    Certificates are issued by the survey company of your choice and are completely responsible for anything and everything ,totally while the boat is being built and when inspected on a regular basis the work is not done right it gets removed and redone properly ! the inspectors work for the Survey company and are world wide in any and all countries, not your local surveyor from down the street .
    I have worked for quite a few different survey companies in boat companies in different parts of the planet , I've always worked under these conditions for many many years and trained all and any of my staff accordingly. There's only one way to do glass work and its the right way and if they done like it they goes walkies and never come back !.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok guys,I have read thru some of the replies on "craftsmanship" and I'm so what in the middle of these.If I were to own a company that built boats,i would be out in the shop myself inspecting(granted that I knew what to look for)and there would only be one way to do it RIGHT or out you go. I know that time is money ,but if you were to look at some of the workmanship on my boat,if I knew the guy who did the work,he would be looking for a job somewhere else!I don`t know weather the worker does not know what or how to do it or just plain lazy!It is very plain that there are different people working on different aspects of the boat and it reflecks by just using your eyes.I would hate to have a boat owner know that I had my name on it where the less than right way was applied just because it was Friday at 4:30.been gone out of town,but will be at it Friday.BTW I just got my samples from Corelite.this looks like what I'm leaning towards using.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen similar findings on my V-King. Have read many threads on guys restoring these boats and see different lay ups and some quality and some not.

If your foam boxes are anything like mine were, they don't add much support, as they are only there to take up room and give the sponge a place to set...err I mean flotation foam ...

I too got samples from corelite, and like them as well, however If your using the Corelite pet, you have to buy a whole box....25 sheets of 24"X48" and pay shipping for 25 sheets. It will come out of Dallas TX. Shipping for me would have been $153 and I would have had 19 sheets left over

So I ordered Divinicell H80 from http://www.lbifiberglass.com/CORING/coring.html

The Corelite Board comes from Miami, and there is no Minimum order. So shipping will be more reasonable, BUT you can only buy the Corelite Board in 48"X96" sheets, thickness of your choice.

I am still using that for my transom and stringers. WAS gong to use the Corelite Pet scrim backed and scored for my core....Just can't afford the way they sell it.....

Hope this helps you some.
    James H. W2F a V-King... Want 2 Fly a V-King

Dedicated Site for Hydrostreams >> http://hydrostreamforums.com/
    My Project 1979 V-King restore >> http://hydrostreamforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2761

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this makes no sense at all.why not take care of a customer,regardless if he is a small purchaser.the best advertisement is word of mouth,and this does nothing to promote their product.did you get the small sample of the core board and the pink foam?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast