Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

omc v4 help needed, slow cranking

Hi, new member here. I recently bought a 1979 Hydrostream with a 135 evinrude on it. Even with a new starter and battery the motor spins so slowly that I don't get any spark. If I remove the spark plugs to where there is no compression, the motor spins quickly enough to spark. When cranking the motor with the plugs in, the battery cables get warm in a short time. I get full battery voltage at the starter when cranking. The motor doesn't seem to have any noticeable crankshaft end play. Is that possibly my problem? If so, how do you adjust the end play? The shop manual doesn't specify. Any help is appreciated. This is supposed to be fun, but instead is aggravating! haha.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    witch 135?thoes packs need 9.5V to fire.many old motors STILL running with two batts.check batt cables(old style,small dia).think I still have box of old junk packs form the 70's.motor still have clipper switch? hard to remember,two many years-th

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may have bad/corroded battery cables and or ends. I have had several over the years. Try a different set of cables if you can find some....if not try cutting off the ends and solder on new ends ( both motor end and battery end). Could also be a bad starter solenoid. Sometimes it's hard to trace down problems like this...just take it slow and do one thing at a time so you know what eventually fixes it.

Quote Originally Posted by nohasslekindaguy View Post
    Hi, new member here. I recently bought a 1979 Hydrostream with a 135 evinrude on it. Even with a new starter and battery the motor spins so slowly that I don't get any spark. If I remove the spark plugs to where there is no compression, the motor spins quickly enough to spark. When cranking the motor with the plugs in, the battery cables get warm in a short time. I get full battery voltage at the starter when cranking. The motor doesn't seem to have any noticeable crankshaft end play. Is that possibly my problem? If so, how do you adjust the end play? The shop manual doesn't specify. Any help is appreciated. This is supposed to be fun, but instead is aggravating! haha.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the help. The motor is a 1976 model. What is a clipper switch? I believe the solenoid is working fine. I'm getting full voltage at the starter when cranking. Yes I believe the cables are original. They are a #6 cable. It had the old cheap clamp-on battery terminals that were corroded. I cut them off and installed the crimp on lug terminals. I may make up a new set of #4 cables to see if that helps. Could crankshaft end play be an issue? I've never had a 4 cylinder motor. It feels like it turns freely by hand but I have nothing to compare it to. Thanks again.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Almost forgot, I did connect two batteries in parallel to double the amps. It didn't make much difference.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would agree with above about the cables.
    those old motors have some bad cables when it comes to letting through the juice.

my friend has the 77 140 we had same problem, and we hooked up two batteries in parallel and still not fast enough to spin her over properly.
    took starter motor apart and cleaned that and still the same.
    with start off the motor and two short leads it spun up very fast, eventually got completely different cables and ends and the difference was
    night and day.
    there can be so much crap anyone along the cable that you will not see. just cleaning up the ends dont do much if the corrosion is halfway along the lead.
    we found the motors need a lot of cranking amps to spin those starts up to correct speed, and without it reaching a certain point will be a
    nightmare to start it up. he now has a battery of about 900 cca and it starts fast.
    Lots of the wires on those motors is well past its time and needs replacing.

we broke open a battery connector /terminal as something was wrong. when we split it open it was 90% green dust/corrosion.
    that will not let the juice flow through correctly.

7. Likes DanUmbarger liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks very much. I will try new, heavier cables.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have someone with a load tester test the battery and the cables at the solenoid. This will tell you if the cables are bad.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jumper cables directly to starter + and starter mounting bolt will tell,then work backwards , one cable at a time,to eliminate problem-th

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Starters don't last when running 24 volts to them. I had the same with my 140. it was set up with 24 volt to the starter and 12 to the ignition. the motor would turn over very slow with 24 or 12 volts to the starter. I removed the 24 volts and went back to 12 on everything and put a used known to be good starter in and been fine for 3 years. Motor will start in gear with 12 volts, no need to run 24 most times. Make sure to check everyone's advice above. all good stuff, but starter change takes less time than changing my battery cables. Damn rigging tubes!
    Last edited by rjdubiel; 03-09-2017 at 01:03 PM.
    1973 Viper - sold
    1978 Viking - sold
    1995 XB02

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you but I wasn't running 24 volts to the starter. I had the batteries wired parallel. Still 12 volts just double the amps. 2 batteries wired in series would make 24 volts. I forgot, I did try the jumper cables directly to the starter. It didn't make much difference. Maybe it's an internal problem.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got it. I really wonder if your starter you put on is good. Anyone have an extra to try you can borrow for a test. The jumper cable thing should have had that starter spinning!
    1973 Viper - sold
    1978 Viking - sold
    1995 XB02

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, I don't know anyone with a starter. The first starter was MES brand. The second was a new ARCO.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My guess would be the cables are bad. If they are getting hot there is high resistance in them. I had the same trouble with my old 115, it cranked slow and barely fired. Changed out the cables, and made sure I had a good clean ground on the engine block. Starts great now.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take the plugs out and turn the flywheel by hand, should have very little resistance.
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors". Plato .

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast