Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doubt any cheap ones will read abs codes, but should read the p7 trans codes from the pcm I would think. I don't use any just code readers to know which is best, would think they where all about the same since there only reading codes. You could spend more to get some that also read data. We use a Ford ids. Pretty sure problem is gonna be in pcm and trac light is just on because it's affected by trans problem.
    ns

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FORBESAUTO View Post
    Doubt any cheap ones will read abs codes, but should read the p7 trans codes from the pcm I would think. I don't use any just code readers to know which is best, would think they where all about the same since there only reading codes. You could spend more to get some that also read data. We use a Ford ids. Pretty sure problem is gonna be in pcm and trac light is just on because it's affected by trans problem.
    ns
    True that... I have a code reader (Equios) that will read engine codes and live data but not ABS that i paid $100 for. Ones that read all are not cheap. My ruck had a bad lifter, the ecm threw codes for #8 misfire, the dash said check engine and stabiltrac disabled and tool showed nothing for the stabiltrac. The engine went into limp mode every time I passed someone. With the lifter banging, it would set off the knock sensor too. everything boiled down to a non-afm lifter floating and failing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170211_182421.jpeg 
Views:	7 
Size:	102.5 KB 
ID:	368656
    Last edited by flabum1017; 03-05-2017 at 11:36 PM.
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors". Plato .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had an "85 Suburban that the wife always complained about how much gas cost so I bought a brand New "98 Monte Carlo Z34. Soon after buying it it developed a miss. Took it in and they replaced a plug wire. After about 10 times of doing this, I started a "lemon law" process to get a rid of the car. The whole time, I kept asking the dealership to replace the spark plugs thinking it was caused by high resistance in the plugs. They would not do it because Chevrolet did not recognize it as a problem. I finally was able to Lemon Law it and get a new one that had no problems. About a month after I got the new car, Chevy came out with a service bullitien saying to replace the spark plugs due to high resistance burning spark plug wires. My point is just because they are the dealer does not mean your problem will automatically be remedied. The mechanics do have a better insight in what's going on that the top brass.
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors". Plato .

4. Likes delawarerick, CDave liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't know the history of this truck, but I remember some of the AWD or Auto 4x4 trucks, explorer, expedition, etc around the 05 years, were very sensitive to having the same exact tire sizes on all 4 wheels. Didn't produce any trans codes but did cause vibrations and an occasional false abs activation.

That viscous coupler is good until it isn't...
    James H. W2F a V-King... Want 2 Fly a V-King

Dedicated Site for Hydrostreams >> http://hydrostreamforums.com/
    My Project 1979 V-King restore >> http://hydrostreamforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2761

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today I went for my free reading at the transmission shop I ran over 30 miles stop and go and didn't miss a beat responsive off the line just the tire pressure and check advtrac display they put a scan on it and then they spoke in Spanish and he said to me bad trans so I asked for codes he disappears and comes back (5 minutes) and said 737 740 I got to think he looked them up and then he took me to a broke down trans and said these the clutches are slipping there is no slip on mine so he said 1495 for new trans. Came home ran great and called a ford dealer he said need to use two scan tools 120 and 40 dollars and he would need the car for 2 days so I called another dealer and talked to service manager he said 127 and they give a print out and I should wait for it. I feel like I should just run it but when pulling the boat would not need a break down. Flabum hit it on the head shops here rebuild. Thanks for listening any advice at least tomorrow morning I will have a ford print out. I really need this to be reliable had some surgery and have follow ups suks getting old. thanks Rick

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may be right, I'm not showing any p*737 code for your vehicle. P1740 and P0740 are both for tcc solonoid current( torque converter clutch)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forbes is right, 1740 and 0740 are both circuit codes. 737 doesn't exist. If your servos are wearing, you won't notice much at first, the shaft spped sensors will pick it up before you will. If you keep driving it, it will start slipping out of overdrive, will feel like a surge at highway speeds. Eventually 2nd gear will stop working. Best to take care of it sooner than later!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Speaking in spanish to prevent you from understanding is the signal to get the heck outta there. I had some drywall guys do that crap. I fired them on the spot. Dealer will lie to you in english at least.

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

10. Likes FORBESAUTO, CDave liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rick, Call a friend of mine, he's up here in Ft Laud and knows someone at a dealer who does the servos all the time. Call after 9:30 or so.

Jeff 954-908-1473

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ron should I take it to ford first I have a 9am appointment and is that 9:30 pm? thanks Rick

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    9:30 am. I don't trust anyone down there. This guy up here will scan it too, so may be a waste of money doing it down there. I would talk with this guy first.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IF you have to go to Ford for a scan, for the $130, you can ask to go with the tech when he road test it with the IDS scanning PC. Ride along with the guy. Wish I lived closer, I still have my IDS system and VCM cable from when I worked at the dealership, and would do it for free.

Ask to see the manager if you are told that is a problem....it's NOT.
    Also make a mental note of your odometer reading in and out. See if they did road test it.

If he is just going to read codes then give you an estimate, find someone else.

I enjoyed the road test with the customer, as a tech and later shop foreman, I did many. It does a couple of good things.

#1 The tech gets a better idea of what the customer concern was by he/she showing them how to duplicate the concern, and capture it on the IDS scanning software. It can then be played back at the shop to properly diagnose what is going on. The rest is easy.

#2 The re-pore created between you and the tech will better get the job done right the first time because he knows how to duplicate the concern, and thus what to do on the "verifying the repair" road test when done.

Not sure of the condition of your vehicle/transmission fluid...but if the fluid has not been changed and it's not burnt...(you won't know that until the tech checks the fluid level, he can do it when the truck is up on the lift). Flush the system with a complete system flush. About another $130 or so. done by the dealer with the "Correct" fluid....Used to be Mercon V when I was working. Retired in 2010.

If it's burnt...don't bother. You "might" create problems.

JMHO and .01

Best Wishes for your repair!
    James H. W2F a V-King... Want 2 Fly a V-King

Dedicated Site for Hydrostreams >> http://hydrostreamforums.com/
    My Project 1979 V-King restore >> http://hydrostreamforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2761

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    James just read this and I just got back from ford. They had it for 2 hours the gas is lower they even inspected brakes fluid tires and said everything internally is fine but they can only get one code p744 which is torque converter slipping and he said it would eventually start to chatter but pressures shifting all was good. Looks to me who ever had this vehicle started replacing everything and perhaps the trans was done and the old converter put back in. They wanted 1422.00 I declined at leaving it. The trans shop puts new converter and a complete kit in trans basicially a reman for 1500. What do I do now do you think a smaller shop could do the job for less? Or go were I know and do a reman that has 1 year 12,000 mile warranty.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to confirm above diag for you, P1744 torque converter solenoid circuit error or stuck off. Description : pcm picked up excessive tcc slippage during normal operation. If they followed pinpoint testing, and found the solenoid operational, converter replacement is most likely repair.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Solenoid is working I need a torque converter what is a fair price for that I know you got to drop trans and new fluid? Between the 2 shops new converter and rebuild for 70 dollars more or should I look for another shop? thanks Rick

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast