Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a little advice

I have a 97 stratos bass boat. Its on the heavy side for a bass boat. I have an amazing holeshot, so I can spare a little there. I have a 22p Raker, i have more than enough bow lift now. The prop will lift the bow higher than it needs to now. I came across a deal on a black 24p Cleaver.(Didnt know OMC cleavers were available in a stainless black). But it was only 150 to my door.....also working on a 25p shooter for 50 to my door. My raker is more chewed up then I like. Question is, do you think I will be able to run either prop?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What kind of RPM are you getting out of the 22? Is the 24 really a cleaver or is it an SRX which is similar to a chopper. I doubt a cleaver will do you any good at all.

3. Likes blacktruck liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes, a 24 cleaver, I am turning 5500, will prolly get 5600-5800 out of the cleaver

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Normally cleavers work at high engine heights on light boats that don't need bow lift. Not popular on bass boats. 25 Shooter seems more probable, but it might be too much pitch. Props are easy to buy and sell, so don't lose sleep over buying or not.

What is your current speed, engine height, and set back? There might be a few hundred rpm to get out of your current prop.

6. Likes blacktruck liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the Shooter might impress you

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Normally cleavers work at high engine heights on light boats that don't need bow lift. Not popular on bass boats. 25 Shooter seems more probable, but it might be too much pitch. Props are easy to buy and sell, so don't lose sleep over buying or not.

What is your current speed, engine height, and set back? There might be a few hundred rpm to get out of your current prop.
    Yeah, this will be the first boat for me to try a cleaver that didnt have a motor turning 7k RPM......I will have to adjust the motor. The 22p raker running 59@5500 is about right. Im hoping that with the boat absolutely not hurting with bow lift and holeshot(I have an excess of both) that the cleaver will help lift my stern out of the water. I will be lifting the motor as soon as I get the cleaver on and setting my lower unit even with the bottom of the hull to try and get a leaf out of the water. FWIW, I am really looking forward to the shooter. I think the 22p prop is undersized for the motor and it would like a 24p 3 blade or a 25p 4 blade better.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What motor and what size is the Stratos? If your raker is "chewed" up you might want to get that fixed or replaced before and see how it runs. Damaged props severely affect performance. The raker is probably best for your application. A 4 blade (is the shooter a 4 blade?) with higher pitch will reduce your RPM quite a bit - possibly 300 rpm, maybe more. I doubt the clever will work at all.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    shame your not close to me then could of tried my 23 srx and see what that does.

if you raise the motor the raker might work even better, lots of people running those props nearly half out the water on top end.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I am back. Motor was already as high as I could go without low water pickups.....But good news, the cleaver did me perfect!!! It did exactly what I needed and got my stern out of the water. Boat runs on top much better and I didnt lose a bit of 'felt' hole shot. I got 2 mph better out of it......

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blacktruck View Post
    What motor and what size is the Stratos? If your raker is "chewed" up you might want to get that fixed or replaced before and see how it runs. Damaged props severely affect performance. The raker is probably best for your application. A 4 blade (is the shooter a 4 blade?) with higher pitch will reduce your RPM quite a bit - possibly 300 rpm, maybe more. I doubt the clever will work at all.

150rude,and18ftstratos

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by starcommtrey1 View Post
    Well I am back. Motor was already as high as I could go without low water pickups.....But good news, the cleaver did me perfect!!! It did exactly what I needed and got my stern out of the water. Boat runs on top much better and I didnt lose a bit of 'felt' hole shot. I got 2 mph better out of it......
    Is that GPS? Because a raker that isnt' chewed up should be better overall on that rig.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is that GPS? Because a raker that isnt' chewed up should be better overall on that rig.
    Yes that was GPS. The raker isnt even close in terms of performance. I still have too much bow lift if I push it. 30-40 cruising is SOOOOOO much better. I am in love with this prop.....now a 24p raker may do even better, but the 22p I will never put on again.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by starcommtrey1 View Post
    Yes that was GPS. The raker isnt even close in terms of performance. I still have too much bow lift if I push it. 30-40 cruising is SOOOOOO much better. I am in love with this prop.....now a 24p raker may do even better, but the 22p I will never put on again.
    Ya, a prop that is chewed up of any kind will be horrible. Cleaver on a moderate performance boat is not usually a great option, especially at cruising speeds. Probably slips way too much. But it depends on the specific prop. Maybe you're just over trimming it?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya, a prop that is chewed up of any kind will be horrible. Cleaver on a moderate performance boat is not usually a great option, especially at cruising speeds. Probably slips way too much. But it depends on the specific prop. Maybe you're just over trimming it?
    Its not chewed up so bad it will affect performance.Its chewed up more than i like. Its dings are well with intolerance.I needed my stern out of the water.The raker gave me no where near enough stern lift.The cleaver pulled me out of the water better.Yes I can over trim it,but there is that magic moment between too much and not enough where I hit just right and get that 1m.p.h better.Now,at WOT,the raker is much more stable. More boat in the water. With an excess of bow lift already,I figured a cleaver couldnt hurt. It did what I needed,stern lift.