Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Prop Marking

Traded for a Fury3 24P toward the end of last year and recently noticed the prop had been stamped "1973U". I checked with the person I traded with and they do not know what was done or by who as they had traded for it himself. Any one recognize the marking?

One thing I noticed was the leading edges of the blades had been filed down slightly, starting near the bore and stopping short of the cup area. The angle and depth was very consistent, not sure I could have done it this cleanly by hand with a file. It does not appear much material was removed at all. Assuming it would have been done for balancing purposes?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fury1.JPG   20170211_184043.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like the prop was edged by a prop shop if the rework was done neatly. Typically when balancing a prop material is removed by belt sanding the back face of the blade(s) that are running heavy- after it's had the edges cut to a form that suits the end use for the prop. Prior to balancing the shop will make any other changes that have been worked out with the customer by discussing how the unmodified prop runs- such as an altered cup, blade shape, adding a rolled leading edge, changing pitch, diameter, or rake, etc.
    Doug

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the numbers are put in by a prop shop and they have a record of it, then if damaged they can put it back to the shape or design they made it.
    finding out who done it can be a mine field unless that person happens to be watching this site.
    I have a prop with some numbers 12270pp that have been stamped into it and I asked around nearly every prop shop in the uk if it was their markings, No such luck ha ha

when a prop is numbered like this we have no idea of what pitch they set the prop too, up down more or less cup etc, might even be a simple re-bush...

looks a very nice prop...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the education on prop modifications, I have always run stock props so this is somewhat new to me. I kinda figured finding who made the marking and what was done will be like finding a needle in a hay stack. Just need to run it and see how it runs for my setup.