I'm rigging a boat for a carbed motor right now, I have a big Weldon pump and aeromotive high pressure FI regulator on the boat now.

I got a Holley blue pump for the carb set-up I will be running for a bit, and I'm looking at regulators now.

I have been away from carbed HP stuff for a while, haven't run a carbed race car in decades and my other carbed boats are more or less stock with stock fuel systems so I'm trying to re remember and learn what's new at the same time.

I planned on getting a bypass style regulator, feed from the pump to the regulator, return to tank and output to carb.

I have seen some set ups recently in pics doing searches that looks to me like its set up more like a injection style in the sense that the fuel goes to the carbs from the pump and a tee going back to the reg, and the return from there. IE like how an FI set up goes to the injectors from the pump and the return or pressure side is where the excess flow is dumped to regulate pressure.

I assume this is to guarantee full fuel flow can go to the carbs and flow not limited by restriction through the regulator.

Did I see this wrong, or is that how some people run them on carbed outboard race applications, motor is not a crazy race motor just a tuned 200 2.4 that will see high rpm use(as high as I can get it to turn!!)

I was thinking this type set up might have a tendency to lift the needle and seat? or is this the preferred routing now?

what bypass reg is everyone using these days? seems like there aren't too many choices for middle of the road cost on bypass regs, its either a cheap non bypass reg or a 150.00+ bypass reg??

seems like I used to buy bypass regs for around 50.00 for carbed applications way back in the day??