Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RIBS are the worse case offenders and people put big engines on them and drive hard in rough conditions

Have lived and worked in New Zealand ,Tahiti,Australia,Japan , south Korea, And now Suzhou in China
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerabout View Post
    RIBS are the worse case offenders and people put big engines on them and drive hard in rough conditions
    its the old story ! they think they are unsinkable and want prove it to there cobbers !! small ribs with nothing inside are awesome things and really twisty and ride amazingly well !!specially running along the broken surf!!been there enjoyed that a few times !!
    Messing round with boats is fun !! the learning never stops ,even after more than 30 years there's always something new happening somewhere ! BUT somethings never change and some problems never go away and just keep reoccurring !!so moved into Composite Forensics , Now that something completely new !!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by W2F a V-King View Post
    I used to think I was a good skier 35 years ago or so, but I have seen how you guys ski in Aussie..Amazing. My little ski boat back then could pull a slalom skier at a little over 60 or so and thought that was something...But Not compared to you guys.

A single piece of 13mm thick and 16cm tall piece of the Corelite board is what I am using for my stringers, and not planning attaching anything to the stringers. Bed, filet then covered in glass. 4 stringers are just over 3 meters long, and the two center ones are 2.25 meters, with a seat box built into the front of those. 6 in total.

I will be glassing two pieces together to get the 4 stringers to the 3+ meter length, with that knife edge splice method though.

My understanding the Corelite Board is PVC based. The Corelite Pet is a high density foam. ( Comparable to Divinicell H80) Not using it for the stringers. My core will be out of the Corelite Pet in 13mm thick, contour-able. Maybe I misunderstood ? I Need to double check that.

I did try a drill and screw test on the Corelite Board, and it held better than I thought it would. Although, unless the plan changes, there won't be any screws used for permanent holding. Maybe to stitch something in place while it gets glassed. The stringers at the rear will be glassed to the transom and motor well.

Glad you still have warm weather....still wet and cold here. Well on and off anyway...really weird winter here in TN. Looking forward to spring.
    I misunderstood your previous post James. That will work, although a fairly heavy way to do it. I can't comment on the PET core because I have never worked with it. I don't know of any other pros using it either, so that may tell you something. There aren't many products that are as good as the sales rep tells you it is. One or two frames between the transom and the seat box might be useful.

4. Thanks W2F a V-King thanked for this post
    Likes W2F a V-King liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2365.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	399.7 KB 
ID:	368506Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2270.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	418.1 KB 
ID:	368504Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2229.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	403.2 KB 
ID:	368505
    The top of the boat is important to how the boat will reacted to the loads put on it.
    It needs to be tied in to the hull with more than just screws or pop rivets.
    Also how stiff the top is will control the twisting of the hull as was mentioned.
    Core on the top side is worth the time to do.
    A paper thin deck dose nothing for the hull.
    There are so many places to save weight on a boat. Why skimp on the structure?
    It will not pay off in the long run with a flimsy boat.
    Have seen pics of a boat or two that dropped in at speed and thy came apart like a cracker.
    Do you want to be in that if it happens??????
    It will shred you up and spit what is left out like hamburger.
    If you want to go faster make more HP. Don't skimp on the structure.

Like on person stated it is like a bunny on a pancake........ LOL

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    These Hydrostreams were designed very intelligently with convex, concave and triangular shapes to give rigidity w/o adding weight. (skin stressed surfaces) Most re-builders will wisely copy what has worked in the past. I have built many boats from scratch and I still followed much of what was there from the orig builder. These are purpose built boats and it may be hard to understand their construction without having owned one.

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2206.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	447.3 KB 
ID:	368509Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2208.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	435.4 KB 
ID:	368510Here is the original set up of the boat.
    I used there system and just redid it with modern materials.

The under side of the top deck and the structure was redone in a slightly different way to add some more strength to it.
    The rear was also retained with attention to tying it in with the transom and hull more.
    The reason for retaining the front air box and the extra top core was to keep the front end strong and ridged in case of a drop in at speed.

Have lived and worked in New Zealand ,Tahiti,Australia,Japan , south Korea, And now Suzhou in China
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by XstreamVking View Post
    These Hydrostreams were designed very intelligently with convex, concave and triangular shapes to give rigidity w/o adding weight. (skin stressed surfaces) Most re-builders will wisely copy what has worked in the past. I have built many boats from scratch and I still followed much of what was there from the orig builder. These are purpose built boats and it may be hard to understand their construction without having owned one.
    Yip the concept of using shape to make things stronger without adding weight is something that is not well practiced by modern boat designers ! the automotive industry has used it for many years ! the aero industry also but as usual the boating industry seem to have a blockage and find it impossible to breakaway from traditional things learned 100 or more years ago !, Am I against boat designers ? there are very few that have stepped outside and done something different !!They are like a flock of sheep and follow what the others do !If one jumps they run for cover !!
    Last edited by tunnels; 03-08-2017 at 04:52 AM.
    Messing round with boats is fun !! the learning never stops ,even after more than 30 years there's always something new happening somewhere ! BUT somethings never change and some problems never go away and just keep reoccurring !!so moved into Composite Forensics , Now that something completely new !!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by XstreamVking View Post

Howard made several versions of the V-KIng. Standard production, Competition, and YT.
    Each getting what was necessary to perform at different levels of use, the Comp being a special order boat.

http://www.hydrostream.org/Specific%20Models/Viking.htm

A very well designed boat with maybe fast production for numbers flaws. Just for the 38 year old rotted wood components giving out.

Don't see any twist issues in the boat at all.
    Last edited by W2F a V-King; 03-18-2017 at 07:47 AM. Reason: added link
    James H. W2F a V-King... Want 2 Fly a V-King

Dedicated Site for Hydrostreams >> http://hydrostreamforums.com/
    My Project 1979 V-King restore >> http://hydrostreamforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2761

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Vking sure looks extremely similar to the old 1970 GW Invader 14' race boat, especially the bottom side. But about 25% larger and with a different hull.
    If I don't ask any questions, I'll never learn anything.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazymaan View Post
    The Vking sure looks extremely similar to the old 1970 GW Invader 14' race boat, especially the bottom side. But about 25% larger and with a different hull.
    Copying and even splashing other boats was and is and always has been what companies do . So if you have a new design that is better than the next guys they will do what it takes to do the same or similar .Over the years companies I have worked for splashed hulls from the chine down (the most important part )and made there own topsides and interiors not only small power boats but Yachts as well even up to 36 and 40 foot Just add a bit here and a bit some where else and they had a new boat Its been going on since the first cave man made a hollow log to paddle

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6