Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1975 Johnson 135 possible mods

Just throwing this out there to see if it's even practical. I have a 1975 135 Johnson I was thinking of putting on a Hustler restore job and it has no trim and tilt. I also have a 1988 Evinrude lower assy complete from the adaptor down to the g/case,including the swivel hsg and T&T assy. I saw how the Shiny Motor guy swapped the swivel assy from a newer motor but my question is ....is it a possibility to put the adaptor hsg from the 135 on the 90 then use my old 135 g/case on the 90 exhaust hsg....not sure if that will all couple up and was wondering if anyone has ever done that. I was thinking if it was possible that would give me the newer style T&T and the newer/stronger? ... mounts/steering tube etc. Just a thought!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dan
    I did mine the way I did because the my 1973 135 would not bolt up to the exhaust adaptor from the newer motor.[
    Bolt holes and water passages were different.
    Also the shifting is different on the older lower unit so to use a newer style you would have to change the intake manifold if that's even possible.
    Another option if you just want the tnt is to find an external bolt on unit that they used to use for the older motors.

Good lock
    Paul

QUOTE=DanUmbarger;2926010]Just throwing this out there to see if it's even practical. I have a 1975 135 Johnson I was thinking of putting on a Hustler restore job and it has no trim and tilt. I also have a 1988 Evinrude lower assy complete from the adaptor down to the g/case,including the swivel hsg and T&T assy. I saw how the Shiny Motor guy swapped the swivel assy from a newer motor but my question is ....is it a possibility to put the adaptor hsg from the 135 on the 90 then use my old 135 g/case on the 90 exhaust hsg....not sure if that will all couple up and was wondering if anyone has ever done that. I was thinking if it was possible that would give me the newer style T&T and the newer/stronger? ... mounts/steering tube etc. Just a thought![/QUOTE]
    Paul V.
    1987 Hydrostream Viper - 1973 V4 Evinrude 135 Crossflow "Shiny Motor"

3. Likes DanUmbarger liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its a nice setup to just put the new tilt and trim on the old motor. It can be done fairly easily.

5. Likes DanUmbarger liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    have you gapped the lower section of the exhaust block flange. its a 1/2+ deep and 1" wide cut out. its the difference between the 135 and 140.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Midsection, tiller arm, bottom yoke, and motor mounts from the original motor. Swivel tube, transom brackets and trim from the newer motor. You'll need 2 custom bronze bushings to interface the old tiller(steering) arm to the 77+ steering tube, otherwise it's all a bolt together deal.
    > Stainless steel Merc cowling plates - $110 shipped TYD - LINK <

1979 16' Action Marine/2.5L Merc S3000 - Metalflake Maniac
    1984 18' Contender Tunnel/2.4 Merc Bridgeport

"Where does the love of God go, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"

8. Likes DanUmbarger liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for replys...will just replace the swivel housing/trim assy. Seems pretty straight forward.

10. Likes 1BadAction liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DanUmbarger View Post
    Thanks for replys...will just replace the swivel housing/trim assy. Seems pretty straight forward.

when i did mine it took a little bit more than just bushings but still not that hard. I had to mill some clearance on the bottom steering tube yoke. the cowl pan also would hit the transom mount brackets at steering lock. and those are the bushing dimensions. you need different grease seals for the smaller steering pivot tube as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bushings pic.jpg   pan clearance.jpg   bottom steering mount.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which swivel housing,clamp bracket/trim system did you use? I'm using a 1988 90hp assy. I also have a couple others I could use if the dimensions are different enough as to not have to cut the pan and yoke.

Quote Originally Posted by Umassot50 View Post
    when i did mine it took a little bit more than just bushings but still not that hard. I had to mill some clearance on the bottom steering tube yoke. the cowl pan also would hit the transom mount brackets at steering lock. and those are the bushing dimensions. you need different grease seals for the smaller steering pivot tube as well.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DanUmbarger View Post
    Which swivel housing,clamp bracket/trim system did you use? I'm using a 1988 90hp assy. I also have a couple others I could use if the dimensions are different enough as to not have to cut the pan and yoke.
    Good point. I used an 80 model trim and only had to worry about the bushing as a "custom" item. Now that Umassot said something, I believe I flap disked the bottom mount with some 40 grit on a grinder to get the clearance, it doesn't take much and doesn't need to be perfect. At any rate, regular hand tools is all it takes.

I wish I would have written it down, but the seal size you'll need is extremely common. It cross references with an axle seal from a car, I just can't remember which one.
    > Stainless steel Merc cowling plates - $110 shipped TYD - LINK <

1979 16' Action Marine/2.5L Merc S3000 - Metalflake Maniac
    1984 18' Contender Tunnel/2.4 Merc Bridgeport

"Where does the love of God go, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"

14. Likes DanUmbarger liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you talking about the center lower section of the exhaust under the bubble? If so...no not yet...am going to clean the carbs,replace the w/pump and run it first...want to make sure it runs good before I sink a lot more time into it.

Quote Originally Posted by hsbob View Post
    have you gapped the lower section of the exhaust block flange. its a 1/2+ deep and 1" wide cut out. its the difference between the 135 and 140.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just finished installing the 1988 V4 clamp bracket/trim assy. on my 1975 135 Johnson and it required exactly what Umassot50 had to do to his. I purchased the seals from Napa (SKF 13573) and the bronze bushings from National Bronze MFG Co. ( C2232-24 and C2224-16)....The lower bushing was 1 1/2 inches long and I just locktighted it in the lower bore and installed the new seal. The upper bushing needed to be cut to the same length as the one that came out of the newer swivel hsg. and it had to be shaved 3 thousands smaller because it came in a whisker over 2" OD. After filing a small grease groove in the inner surface I locktighted that bushing in and installed the new seal in the upper bore. Put it all back together and had to cut out a small section under the pan because the clamp brkt. and the top of the swivel hsg. hit the pan while trying to make full turns just like Umassot had to do. I also had to grind down the front section on the lower yoke, bevel the lower section on the bottom of the swivel/steering tube and the inner part of the yoke for clearance between the yoke and the swivel hsg. All in all it went well....the only problem is I can't find paint for this old motor...does anyone have an outlet for this paint? I also used a relay assy. from an older Force because I now needed a solenoid system for the newer 2 wire trim motor...works very well! I hope I may have helped the next guy that wants to do this...at least on what bushings and seals to buy and where to get them. I got the trim/swivel assy. for free so all I have invested is about $60.00 and all my labor.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170222_184703.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	397.7 KB 
ID:	367871Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170222_184638.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	426.3 KB 
ID:	367872Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170222_174901.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	397.3 KB 
ID:	367873Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170222_174911.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	402.6 KB 
ID:	367874
    Last edited by DanUmbarger; 02-22-2017 at 08:31 PM.

17. Likes xanaphyst liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks good. Good job. Now you gotta work on some more power i have used paint from evinrude/bombardier it comes in a spray can. I had the same blue t&t bracket. I dont know the color off hand but there are few different colors you can get.

19. Thanks DanUmbarger thanked for this post
    Likes DanUmbarger liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I may go in a little different direction with my johnson 135...since I used the trim assy from a 1988 90 evinrude I kinda like the blue color so I am going to try to find some blue paint and use the Evinrude cover...might match the boat I'm restoring a little betterClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20170310_103915.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	417.6 KB 
ID:	369206

21. Likes 1BadAction liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This one is of interest to me because I am working on installing a trim/swivel/transom bracket assembly from a Merc v6 on a 1973 135. Serendipitously, the swivel shafts diameters are very close between the two. I am well into the process of laying things out and I see some issues, but no show stoppers that I have seen as of yet. I'll post pics as I go along.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's interesting...never thought about a Merc swivel assy...your always welcome to stop by my shop and look at my motor if needed...I'm in Solon Mills (Richmond/Spring Grove area)
    Hustler 15' Wildcat / Merc 80
    Hustler 13' Wildcat / Merc 80
    Hustler 13' Picklefork (Experimental) / Merc 80
    Hustler 16' Victor / Evinrude 85
    Hustler 15' Tunnel / Evinrude X115
    Hustler 17' Lark / Suzuki 140
    Ranger 17' Aztec / Merc 115
    Hustler 16' Victor
    Hustler 16' Victor / JohnRude 135 (current and restored)
    Hustler 15' Family Tunnel / Johnson GT115 (current project)
    Hustler 16' Victor

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast