Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

300XS double seals

I'm new to outboards and have been trying to gain as much knowledge as possible prior to picking up my new Talon 22 with a 300XS.

One thing that's been mentioned is installing a dual seal kit in the lower unit. I've searched and have seen a lot of discussion on these kits for 3L motors but very little specific to the 3.2L. I'm also concerned with modifying a lower that's still under warranty.

Im looking for a description of what this is, kits that might allow someone to perform the modification themselves, any solid information that this is really necessary on the XS and if this mod will void my warranty.
    Mark

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Call Todd D.-He makes the drive shaft seal, shift shaft seal, and billet carriers. I have them in all of my stuff with no issues. Craig Colabella is our best guy local for making sure that your case is shimmed perfect to get the best service from it. We have him go through brand new ones before they get run. Tell him I sent you, I picked up 3 from him yesterday (great guy).

Joe

Silverton section of Toms River, NJ/Stuart, Florida
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw those but it says 3L but I assume the lowers are basically the same on the X and XS.

So, the problem isn't the seals but the seal carrier. Interesting since the comment was specifically "install a double seal kit".

Also, what is the advantage of the billet carrier on a brand new, under warranty unit? What failure is this supposed to reduce?

My concern is what happens if I have a lower failure with these parts and I'm under warranty? Non-factory part usually = voided warranty. I may just run it as delivered and do the upgrade at a service interval when I get close to the warranty expiring.
    Last edited by mjw930; 01-21-2017 at 09:47 PM.
    Mark

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your water pressure is high, you will have water in the lower first run. I put Todds seal kits in my warranted 300 xs lowers, and no more water. Yeah you can wait, because it's warranted, but that's what you will do, wait. Took merc 3 months to get me a new one when one broke. Now I have spares. All have todds seal kits.
    Kirk

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zero Patience View Post
    If your water pressure is high, you will have water in the lower first run. I put Todds seal kits in my warranted 300 xs lowers, and no more water. Yeah you can wait, because it's warranted, but that's what you will do, wait. Took merc 3 months to get me a new one when one broke. Now I have spares. All have todds seal kits.
    So it's a weak carrier more than the seals themselves or does Todd's kit add additional seals?

Just curious how rampant the problem is in a stock configuration without separate low water pickups or other mods that would put you in a high water pressure situation?

Is there any machining involved or are the seal kits drop in?

I guess I need to give Todd D. a call.
    Last edited by mjw930; 01-21-2017 at 10:43 PM.
    Mark

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The seals are plug and play. The stock seals leak due to speed and increased water pressure created by the speed. If you break a carrier then your prop shaft is loose, seals leak water into the case etc. Carriers break due to the high pitch propellers that we are surfacing on performance hulls. The prop shaft is being thrashed every time that a blade hits the surface beating it with thousands of blow cycles and the carrier is what supports the shaft. The stock units are cast and failures are common. If you spit a shaft and happen to have a $2000 prop attached it becomes a bad day quickly. If I were you, I would do like Jim and I said and avoid the headache possibility.

Joe

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Joe.

So, Todd's parts = $550 + extra parts for the carrier + labor. What's the all in price assuming someone like Craig does the work?
    Mark