Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1989 Laser 380 Kevlar hull

Just a quick question, is this a cored hull? I have a chance to get back my old Laser but it was sitting outside and not used for years. I was the original owner of this hull and the owner wanted to trade me for my center console I have now. I know he stuffed it and put 2 cracks in the hull where the front floor under the deck meets the sides and he pulled that section of the floor out. Just trying to figure out if it's worth the trouble.

Have lived and worked in New Zealand ,Tahiti,Australia,Japan , south Korea, And now Suzhou in China
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 89LASER View Post
    Just a quick question, is this a cored hull? I have a chance to get back my old Laser but it was sitting outside and not used for years. I was the original owner of this hull and the owner wanted to trade me for my center console I have now. I know he stuffed it and put 2 cracks in the hull where the front floor under the deck meets the sides and he pulled that section of the floor out. Just trying to figure out if it's worth the trouble.
    Personally id say thank you but no thank you !
    If it has cracks that's only what you can see on the surface what is under those cracks and how far do they extend inside !
    No my advise is just walk away !!
    Even if its free think of the amount of work involved not for getting the cost so free is free no more !! there is no such thing as a free boat
    Last edited by tunnels; 01-20-2017 at 07:25 PM.
    Messing round with boats is fun !! the learning never stops ,even after more than 30 years there's always something new happening somewhere ! BUT somethings never change and some problems never go away and just keep reoccurring !!so moved into Composite Forensics , Now that something completely new !!

3. Thanks 89LASER thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds repairable. Way worse boat repairs on this site alone. Just depends on how dedicated you are.

DB

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply, I'll have to uncover it and see how bad it is. It has been covered but left outside..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, it's not a cored hull. I own one of the early kevlar LTV hulls and the laminate is very thin. Not much gel either as the print-through on the sides of the hull is pretty bad (at least on mine anyways) and gets worse with age. I don't have a lot of experience with extensive structural repairs, but from what I can tell from the description, chances are those stress cracks run deep in the laminate. From what I understand, kevlar is strong, but is also brittle like carbon fiber and has a tendency to shear, more so than fiberglass.

That being said, they are fantastic hulls. Worth the effort to restore if you got the time to invest. I love mine... don't think I'll ever part with it.

Have lived and worked in New Zealand ,Tahiti,Australia,Japan , south Korea, And now Suzhou in China
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by QwikTrim View Post
    No, it's not a cored hull. I own one of the early kevlar LTV hulls and the laminate is very thin. Not much gel either as the print-through on the sides of the hull is pretty bad (at least on mine anyways) and gets worse with age. I don't have a lot of experience with extensive structural repairs, but from what I can tell from the description, chances are those stress cracks run deep in the laminate. From what I understand, kevlar is strong, but is also brittle like carbon fiber and has a tendency to shear, more so than fiberglass.

That being said, they are fantastic hulls. Worth the effort to restore if you got the time to invest. I love mine... don't think I'll ever part with it.

chances are those stress cracks run deep in the laminate. From what I understand, kevlar is strong, but is also brittle like carbon fiber and has a tendency to shear, more so than fiberglass.
    Yes the stress cracks are within the resin not the Kevlar And as for being brittle NO its the resin that's become brittle not the Kevlar !! Depends how you interpret the word shear !!
    One of the biggest issues with Kevlar is the adhesion !! The resin does not adhere to the Kevlar and so the Kevlar filament's being elastic and the stronger of the two simply pull out of the resin ! This was little understood during early times and so the reason why manufactures shied away from using it ! The sizing that was used to make the filament's stick to the resin better has been vastly improved and so this happens less now than it used to !.
    Messing round with boats is fun !! the learning never stops ,even after more than 30 years there's always something new happening somewhere ! BUT somethings never change and some problems never go away and just keep reoccurring !!so moved into Composite Forensics , Now that something completely new !!