Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Attachment 364732

It looks like I can see wood stuck to the hull bottom. Are there two stringers missing or was there just the two little ones that are in there now?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170112_200155.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	440.4 KB 
ID:	364734

It looks like there is a little but of wood stuck to the bottom... was there original two more stringers?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170112_200155.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	440.4 KB 
ID:	364734

Have lived and worked in New Zealand ,Tahiti,Australia,Japan , south Korea, And now Suzhou in China
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bondo4days View Post
    Are you ****ing kidding me "tunnels"? I'll I asked is what the BASIC PROCESS is so I could build off of it and get this done. There is no reason for anymore pictures. It's a Viper with the core out. I will get it dry and clean and prepped when I feel like getting itchy. This is not my first or even 100th restoration. I font need you to critique my sanding and grinding. I asked for a little background and BASIC knowalage of the glass to order and the process. Thanks for nothing.
    Ok its all yours ! don't need your attitude Bye !!
    Last edited by tunnels; 01-14-2017 at 09:11 PM.
    Messing round with boats is fun !! the learning never stops ,even after more than 30 years there's always something new happening somewhere ! BUT somethings never change and some problems never go away and just keep reoccurring !!so moved into Composite Forensics , Now that something completely new !!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bondo4days View Post
    I don't think the core went up the sides. It actually seems like it stopped a couple inches short...
    Somewhere in Soniks rebuild thread there are some pics when I gave the boat back to him that'll show you the core out to the sides

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Overall you're on the right track. 1/2" core the whole bottom, good prep, 1708 glass, vacuum bagging, will result in a boat significantly better than when it was new. Don't worry about Tunnels, while knowledgeable he's kind of a jackass and is basically a "fiberglass troll" on at least 4 different boating forums. As far as actually installing the core, use an actual core bedding compound. What resin are you going to use ? You obviously don't want to pour a ton of cash into a "claimer" class.

Matt

7. Likes XstreamVking liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, now I see what the wood I was seeing was... it seems like the edge of the floor was directly on the bottom of the boat not on the core itself. THANKS FOR THE LINK!

Have lived and worked in New Zealand ,Tahiti,Australia,Japan , south Korea, And now Suzhou in China
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MattGreen View Post
    Overall you're on the right track. 1/2" core the whole bottom, good prep, 1708 glass, vacuum bagging, will result in a boat significantly better than when it was new. Don't worry about Tunnels, while knowledgeable he's kind of a jackass and is basically a "fiberglass troll" on at least 4 different boating forums. As far as actually installing the core, use an actual core bedding compound. What resin are you going to use ? You obviously don't want to pour a ton of cash into a "claimer" class.

Matt
    4 different boating forums
    YOU ARE LYING !! THIS IS THE ONLY FORUM I BELONG TO !!AND AS FOR A JACK ASS HAVE YOU LOOKED IN THE MIRROR RECENTLY ??
    Last edited by tunnels; 01-15-2017 at 06:11 AM.
    Messing round with boats is fun !! the learning never stops ,even after more than 30 years there's always something new happening somewhere ! BUT somethings never change and some problems never go away and just keep reoccurring !!so moved into Composite Forensics , Now that something completely new !!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    LOL

Your lay up will be fine. I'd skip the foam part though. I like to lay down 2 layers of 1708 on the pad area then bed your core down. Due to the shape and nearly all of the running surfaces being cored they are actually a tough ass little boat

Take your time getting the boat well supported and straight. The end of the pad and first set of strakes do have a built in hook at the ends so be aware of that.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will someone please give me a crash course on the VERY basics?
    Grind the hull bottom with 16 grit
    Lay down some chopped mat???
    Trowel on some thickened resin??
    Place balsa blocks down in the thickened resin???
    Soak core with non thickened resin??
    Lay down some biax (how heavy???) At a 45° angle???
    Then another layer of biax straight??

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Insane-o View Post
    LOL

Your lay up will be fine. I'd skip the foam part though. I like to lay down 2 layers of 1708 on the pad area then bed your core down. Due to the shape and nearly all of the running surfaces being cored they are actually a tough ass little boat

Take your time getting the boat well supported and straight. The end of the pad and first set of strakes do have a built in hook at the ends so be aware of that.
    Thanks for the response! Should I leave the hook? Or straighten it out?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    leave it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=bondo4days;2921209]Will someone please give me a crash course on the VERY basics?
    Grind the hull bottom with 16 grit! Yes the courser the better !

You have almost described what I had already written if you had taken the time to read and think it !!
    Lay down some chopped mat??? One layer of 450 gram P matt
    Trowel on some thickened resin??Thickened with carbosil and talc powder !! and you need to lay out your pre-shaped Balsa sheets with there downside facing uppermost and wet them out with a generous coating of resin before you flip them over and lay into you core bond !. The size of the notch's in your trowel are really important as is the thickness of the core bond !
    Place balsa blocks down in the thickened resin??? And make sure the core bond ozzes up to fill cracks and any gaps within the sheets of balsa blocks !!
    Soak core with non thickened resin?? when its all hard then scuff and seal the top of the balsa with a generous layer of catalyzed resin and let it soak and harden !!

Lay down some biax (how heavy???) At a 45° angle???
    Then another layer of biax straight??
    This is a waste of time !

One layer of DBM 1708 With the chopped strand facing down onto the wet balsa!! then immediately finish it off with a unidirectional running from keel to the chine (this forms the triaxle 45/45/90 like i had already written )

With this its lighter than you had !! it has one layer of glass less that in reality is doing absolutely nothing because its running in the wrong direction !.
    Last edited by tunnels; 01-15-2017 at 07:31 PM.

15. Thanks bondo4days thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You've got a lot of grinding to do yet,get it cleaned out good and I'll talk you through it, but I'm not going to shout over this asshole. ^

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Insane-o View Post
    You've got a lot of grinding to do yet,get it cleaned out good and I'll talk you through it, but I'm not going to shout over this asshole. ^
    How about we be nice to this guy and keep him on the right track ok ? I sure as hell don't want to sink to the level of abuse and name calling . Anyway an asshole good or bad is the most used and useful part of eveyones body !

18. Likes bondo4days liked this post
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast