Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

weight difference before and after propeller tuning ?

I have seen loads of posts on the net about propellers being sent of to be performance tuned etc.
    Most people talk of the propeller blades being thinned, extra cup being added polished and sharpened etc with great results..

Has anyone weighed the props before and after the work has been done to them ?
    I know some have also had the hubs on thru hub props shortened, but I am more interested in how much weight has been
    taken off props like the rakers, SRX , mazco's, renegade's merc choppers etc.
    Just interest to see how much is actually taken away, and if this has caused any major problems .

also does anyone now just how much thinner the blades are compared to factory finish props.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cant believe none of you have weighed your props before sending off to be thinned labbed ,blueprinted etc.

For the money its cost to be modified I would know down to the last gram what has been taken off, even if just for future reference.

some of you must know ?

3. Likes Magcat 62 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I NEVER sent one out for rework so cant say how much metal was removed but just scored on ebay another dennis 26 ive handled lots of choppers and when UPS handed me box i said somethings wrong this cant be my prop! i was blown away this prop is really baaaaad azzzzzzz, thinned rolled mirror finish razor edge and way lighter than stock a least 25% i cant wait to try it, i have a 22 that cranks on my 150. they were made in lakeland fl in late 80s. for fast bass boats dont think there mercury made but over-hub style. to find a 26 was rare to say the least.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't care how much it weighs, just how it performs. There is usually a balance between performance and durability when it comes to thinning blades to an extent.
    Larry Gempp Jr.

Proud HydroStream Powertour Member

Lots of past boats - 2024 22 Liberator - 450R

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that lightening a prop is definitely going to decrease its strength and durability long term.
    In some cases the prop gets lightened so much they are downright dangerous as can be seen when lots of people talk about a certain prop shedding a blade.
    I know that can happen to any make of prop, but more often than not its on a modified /thinned/blueprinted prop.

I spoke to a guy over here who takes off 2 pounds straight away by shortening the hub (nut end) and lightens the blades.
    then inside the full length of the hub gets ground away, in all about 3 pound gets taken off a trophy for example.
    To me that seems to be a radical amount to remove from a propeller.

can see the rotating mass bit etc, but to take away 3 pounds is a huge amount and to me says " DANGEROUS" and accident waiting to happen.

If the makers of the props thought they could get away with a 30% reduction in material and still be safe, then I am sure they would.
    The cost of material going down by 30% would be huge and have a massive impact on productivity expenses.

I can see that a slight bit of thinning can give more performance, but the amount that gets taken off when lightening seems a bit extreme to me.
    it is very understandable these props being used solely for race only applications, but owners of recreational craft are also getting into the blue printing/labbing idea's.

this is why I was interested to see how much weight is taken off the props over in the usa and Canada.