Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

96 nitro savage 896 setup help

Needing help with setup. I have a 200 efi mariner , prop to pad is 3 1/2. Wot is 64 -65 @ 5850. I can trim more but I loose speed. I am running a custom 25p tempest plus with more cupping and rake. When I trim up at wot I have a lot of steering torque and high rooster tail. If I run a hydrofoil I can pick up 2-3 mph. All testing is tournament loaded, and it jumps on plane in about 3 1/2 sec. Do I need to raise my engine up some? I don't have a jack plate, but have 3 holes of adjustment on motor that I can raise it. Thanks in advance.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if a foil helps you get more top end then you definitely are running to low. I would go up the 3 holes and try it, but look around for a jack plate.
    just looked up those boats and plenty of pics of them on the net and every one of them is running a jack plate ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your throwing rooster tail your not biting. Going up will only make worse. Jackplate may help by getting prop in cleaner water. Also makes it easier to adjust. May need to try different prop with more bite. Not sure of weight but may need to try a 4 blade to help pack weight.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok finally got some consistent numbers. No jack plate custom 25.5 tempest plus prop. 3 1/2 under pad 65 mph @5800. I have made up my mind to get a jack plate. Was wondering if someone can tell me if a 8in plate if work on my savage 896 without getting longer cables.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good move on getting plate, not sure on cables for that boat, but would think you'd be ok. If ya can't get rooster tail to drop, prop shopping time. Must be pretty heavy, do you know weight?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FORBESAUTO View Post
    Good move on getting plate, not sure on cables for that boat, but would think you'd be ok. If ya can't get rooster tail to drop, prop shopping time. Must be pretty heavy, do you know weight?
    I think it's like 1325 or something like that. And far as props. When I ran my prop stock I was getting 6100 rpm trimmed all the way up and 63 mph. Now I have a custom prop with more rake and extremely cupping. My prop guy is saying to go up on engine height. But back to the plate, I have one person say good as much as you can. And then one said only 6" because of the height of my transom. So I am just scratching my head and spinning circles lol

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1580lbs it what it weighs to be exact.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Weight not that bad, the tempest should work. They normally run the tempest a little higher and 3 1/2 is a little deep. You may be overtrimming to get more rpm and losing bite, since he obviously tightened prop up for you to go faster with less rpm. Getting the motor up will help free up some rpm and should need to trim a little less. A fury is also good option but prob would need to run a 24 since they're a little more stiff than the tempest. And cant be run as high. The bigger the jackplate the more bow lift you'll get. But havnt fooled with a nitro before so not sure about clearance problems. Go to the nitro forum section on bass boat central. There should be some info there on jackplate.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1580 is getting up there for hull weight. My Triton ran better with a fury, and the tempest is supposed to be ticket for those. A trophy also runs good at that weight. All props act different even if exact same prop . Get jackplate and play with height. Just remember fastest speed may not be fully trimmed and actually what you want. The perfect setup is with motor running perfectly level to get max speed.

10. Likes Slimm liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok thank y'all for the advice.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok. I installed a 6 in plate. I started at 3 1/2 below pad. Went up to 3 1/4 below pad all I can get is 65-67 depending on lake conditions. It will chine walk now but drivable still. Have I got all I am going to get out of this savage? Or does anyone think I can get a couple more. I see others with the same boat saying there running 68-69. Are they full of it?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jrowe0831 View Post
    Ok. I installed a 6 in plate. I started at 3 1/2 below pad. Went up to 3 1/4 below pad all I can get is 65-67 depending on lake conditions. It will chine walk now but drivable still. Have I got all I am going to get out of this savage? Or does anyone think I can get a couple more. I see others with the same boat saying there running 68-69. Are they full of it?
    Anyone?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe try moving weight around from fore and aft to see if helps. If it's trying to chine, that's a good thing. Did you pick up by raising the 1/4 inch? You can't pay too much attention to what people say thier boats run and every boat is different. Your pretty close to what others are saying and you could have more gear in your boat. Keep moving motor in which ever direction makes it go faster 1/4 inch at a time until it stops gaining or even drops off. Try to be in consistent environment while testing like run in same stretch in same direction each time.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok thank you. Yea it's hard to test at the lake that close to me because of ski boats. Last time out I was able to make 2 runs then made an adjustment on the jack plate. Went from 3 1/2 to 3 1/4 but by then there was quite a few skiers so just loaded up and left. I plan on trying again next week if my work schedule lets me.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep playing with the jack plate as stated above. Either way, you have a quick boat! Good luck! I am still trying to get my jack plate perfect.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast