Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also those knee braces that run under the gunnells to the tops of the tunnels will serve double duty, i will space 2 far enough apart and have room to hide a few fishin poles, in the massive space up under the gunwales. It has twice the room under there than my Paramount 21

Have lived and worked in New Zealand ,Tahiti,Australia,Japan , south Korea, And now Suzhou in China
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by home made tunnel View Post
    stringers should never have anything attached to them ?? HIGHLY disagree. When you have the floor attached to the top side of stringers, it GREATLY increases the strength and rigidity of them. Essentially turning them from a "T" bar into an "I" beam. Less flex, the better.

The core could really be anything !! it gives little to the stringer strength its the glass you use that's doing all the work. Also Highly disagree. Depends on the core material, and whether it was bonded. For instance, if you use wood as a stringer, epoxy resin and fiberglass is going to bond VERY well, and the wood its self will be the strength, as the bottom edge is glued to the fiberglass hull. The weak point is if you have a thin hull, the stringer may flex side to side (port / starboard). If you put a floor in on top, you're essentially going to be indestructible. . . . take a look at the stringers I put into my bayliner. Just simple 2x6 home depot lumber, cheap, but very strong. Fillet joints on the bottom, and glassed over the top of that.

You want to use the plastic core material though... You may need polyurethane in lieu of epoxy to get the same bond. it will create a strong vertical stringer, but will not be as strong in port-starboard flex as the bow of your boat hits a wave and wants to fold the boat in half.

Attachment 363086Attachment 363087Attachment 363088Attachment 363090Attachment 363089
    what you have are called GIRDERS or BARES not STRINGERS !,yes BARES AND GIRDERS are made and fitted as load carriers !! Motors , floors fuel tanks etc etc ! . Stringer are fitted to support panels and are smaller and can and should be able bend and help to absorb shock loads !.
    In reality those girders or bares could be completely hollow and save the wood weight and non of the wood framing you made would never rot ! Its just like having a 100% glass grid system ! our terminology of parts of a boat are different Girders and stringers are not the same !and do completely different things One is a load carrier and the other is to strengthen panels !!
    Nice job by the way well done !! this is a place where triaxle glass is completely at home fixing in all the framing !! 45/90/45 It would be the fabric to use in your case and obvious Epoxy resin but with csm between the wood and the fabric and all corners with a 15 m radius filler cove for the glass to go around !dead right angled corners are a weak spot in all and any fiberglass structures !! So if you built this to a marine survey without filled corners and having the minimum 15 mm RADIU S they'd condemn it and make you strip it out and redo the lot again ! Just seemingly small details can make a huge difference !

Merry xmas and have a wonderful new year !!
    Last edited by tunnels; 12-22-2016 at 06:39 AM.
    Messing round with boats is fun !! the learning never stops ,even after more than 30 years there's always something new happening somewhere ! BUT somethings never change and some problems never go away and just keep reoccurring !!so moved into Composite Forensics , Now that something completely new !!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PP honeycomb is NOT a reliable material for the long-term as balsa and foam will be. But, at the end it depends what you want in your boat. I do understand that Divinycell foam is super expensive though.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3