Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

175hp HPDI help

2004 175HP HPDI on a 18ft ranger bass boat,not my boat,belongs to a freind of mine who got it from an estate sale.
    im having an issue i cant figure out,hope some of you yammie guys can steer me in the right direction!
    to start with,the boat sat uncovered and very neglected for a long period of time,so i have no reliable history on the boat other than a diagnostic scan i had done at a local marina after performing the following work:
    -VST removed,cleaned
    -all filters replaced,including the two "mystery filters" in the high pressure pump
    -injectors removed,sent to Brucato for cleaning/calibration(had to replace one,wouldnt come into spec)
    -fresh fuel and oil
    -lower unit/water pump serviced
    -new battery
    to my surprise,the scan showed only 86hrs of total operation,most of which was below 2000 RPMs!scan showed three faults:low battery voltage,injectors out of sync,and low fuel pressure
    i had him clear the faults,cranked the engine in a test tank and the faults did not show back up(no load applied to engine,idle only)everything showed normal.
    took the boat to the lake for a water test,it ran ok,but wouldnt run above 4400 RPM,mashing the throttle down made no change.after running it a bit,it stumbled but the picked back up,this happened at no certain RPM.
    at one point,the thing breifly came to life and took off like a raped ape,up to about 5200 RPM or so,then stumbled and resumed running 4400.it was about this time the oil alarm went off and i discoved the main oil tank in the boat was not pumping into the engine mounted tank.managed to get oil in the small engine mounted tank,so i could get back to the ramp,but it wouldnt start.motor would fire,then die.i did get it to fire up and run but it wouldnt idle but for a few seconds,much like it wasnt getting enough fuel.got towed back and havent really messed with it much since.i really need to get this back to him so that i can resume work on my current projects/money pits!any thoughts???

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mr. Bender may come along. Updated plugs with the correct gap comes to mind as well as checking the fuel line bulb to make sure it is hard once pumped.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The fella that did the scan made mention of single electrode plugs but couldnt remember the p#.checked the bulb,its good to go!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a lack of fuel supply or possible injector driver failure. Need to find a mechanic that knows his stuff on these motors or your in for an expensive ride playing the guessing game. These small block HPDI's are great motors but they are tricky to work on if your not familiar with them.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    replace the large filter going from vst toward hpdi pump.above vst.1 1/2" dia x 3" long.chrome or silver in color.WAYYY to expensive , about $90.if you find a oem that's less money plz post it!!-th

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ohm the TPS to verify it is working correctly. I had one act like you are saying and the TPS had dead spots. Hook up fuel pressure gauges to verify PSI.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    will do on the fuel pressure,as soon as the weather breaks.is there any way to check the high pressure pump ?

"replace the large filter going from vst toward hpdi pump.above vst.1 1/2" dia x 3" long.chrome or silver in color.WAYYY to expensive , about $90.if you find a oem that's less money plz post it!!-th"-i replaced ALL the filters,got this one for about $80 from Parts VU out of Fla.,very helpful folks,shipped very quickly

"Sounds like a lack of fuel supply or possible injector driver failure. Need to find a mechanic that knows his stuff on these motors or your in for an expensive ride playing the guessing game. These small block HPDI's are great motors but they are tricky to work on if your not familiar with them."
    i have approached this as i would anything i work on,using a factory service manual,gathering as much info as i can find,going through proven steps of process of elimination,no guessing,the entire point of this thread

thanks for all the responses,i welcome any positive input from the members!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeter91 View Post
    2004 175HP HPDI on a 18ft ranger bass boat.

Took the boat to the lake for a water test, it ran ok, but wouldnt run above 4400 RPM. Mashing the throttle down made no change. After running it a bit it stumbled but then picked back up, this happened at no certain RPM. At one point, the thing breifly came to life and took off like a raped ape, up to about 5200 RPM or so, then stumbled and resumed running at 4400. It was about this time the oil alarm went off and i discovered the main oil tank in the boat was not pumping into the engine mounted tank. Managed to get oil in the small engine mounted tank, so i could get back to the ramp, but it would not start. Motor would fire, then die. I did get it to fire up and run, but it would not idle but for a few seconds, much like it wasn't getting enough fuel.

Got towed back and haven't really messed with it much since. Any thoughts?
    Curious has it started and idled in the bucket since?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no,i parked it after returning from being towed in.i did check the vst pump,to verify it was running(it was),but have yet to check the actual pressure,will do that this week.willing to bet if it was re-scaned,the low fuel pressure code would have returned.$106 to get it scanned again,so id like to find the issue before getting it done again.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you checked the low pressure lift pumps? If they get a hole in the diaphram and bleed over into the block through the pulse port they will run like crap as well. Any black goo dripping out the gearcase or prop when the boat is just sitting?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i spent a good part of the day trying to get the lift pump for the on board oil tank to work,the pump is shot,cleaned it twice,blew all the lines out, but only got a small amount of oil to pump.i did get chance to check the pressure from the fuel pump in the VST,it checks about 50psi.will check the pulse pumps when i get back at it,thanks for the suggestion!
    ive got a much nicer project in the works that i spent the rest of the weekend working on,this one gets moved to the back of the line again!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oil tank lift pump has nothing to do with how a HPDI motor runs as long as the tank on the motor is full. I was refering to the pulse operated fuel lift pumps mounted on the block. Did you check the fuel pressure at idle on the hose or wot down the river? If this passes wot test on a gauge then hook up a YDS computer to it and read the HPDI pump pressure to see if it drops off when wot.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the pump for the the on-board oil res. was a different problem from the starting/running one,seems my previous post was a bit confusing,two different problems that sufaced at the same time,but not related.
    anyway,got that one fixed yesterday.hooked up the muffs,but still wont run.motor tries to start but quickly dies.i did check the pulse pumps,they are good,no leaks.this thing has taken up too much of my time .i have my own projects im trying to finish and this rig is taking up needed time and space in my yard!im going to call my buddy and tell him he needs to take it to a yamaha dealer that can run the YDS and diagnose it correctly!as stated in a previous post,throwing parts at it in a guessing game will get pricey and this isnt my boat!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    non running issue turned out to be the plugs,they looked ok , but were apparently failing above 4500 rpm.issue with the oil lift pump not going into "automatic"pumping mode due to the strainer not being lined up in the tank correctlly,had no idea,learned a new one!all's well that ends well!best of all,its outta my yard now,YEAH!!