Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FUJIMO View Post
    Gene, this boat came along a couple years later, but, did you help rig any of it? Juan Hernandez four engine Super BP's, then Twister 1's. No real good offshore gearcases could be had. Stock inline gearcases didn't last long & SSM's were out of the question due to weakness & small propellers, etc. What survived the longest, believe it or not, on the Twister 1's on Juan's boat...were BP gearcases...
    I did not work on any of Juan's boats---he sure used up a lot of good equipment!!! The Super BP lower unit was perfect for the Offshore Outboards. Legal, full gear-shift, great selection of full size props, choice of gear ratios.

We ran a complete season (10 or 11 races) against boats with twice the displacement, twice the horsepower, even had a first overall--lots of second and third place finishes----

And did it without a single lower unit failure--(Interested in the 'Rest Of The Story'?)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GENE LANHAM View Post
    I did not work on any of Juan's boats---he sure used up a lot of good equipment!!! The Super BP lower unit was perfect for the Offshore Outboards. Legal, full gear-shift, great selection of full size props, choice of gear ratios.

We ran a complete season (10 or 11 races) against boats with twice the displacement, twice the horsepower, even had a first overall--lots of second and third place finishes----

And did it without a single lower unit failure--(Interested in the 'Rest Of The Story'?)

Gene - How long are you going to keep us waiting for the Rest Of The Story????????

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob V View Post
    Gene - How long are you going to keep us waiting for the Rest Of The Story????????
    Sorry Bob--Some of us are getting to the age that we are accused of repeating ourselves--

--or being forgetful--

-or being old and boring--

The entire 1970 season was a blur. Old Blue was traveling cross country so many times she was getting balky. The schedule for RedBird continued to grow. The Chief called me into his office and asked me what I was trying to do or if I really intended to be a Firefighter?? (I had to remind him how much work his old JohnRude needed)

The Rest Of The Story:
    We ran 10 or 11 races in the 32' Cary---I wish I had kept a log--we completed every race--only had one failure--a broken distributor while leading the Bahamas 500.

NO failures on the SBP lower unit
    But---I tore down each unit after every race!! Often to replace just the seals and lower driveshaft rollers--most races were less than four hours---After the '500' (8+hours) it was a major overhaul!!

After Parker 1970 (Three Failures SSM's) I started rebuilding the SSM's on the Bird---I was receiving daily UPS shipments and pails of SuperDuty Lube (Thanks, Schwebby)

I've wondered if the modern synthetic lubes, better metallurgy, would have helped the life of these units---I know Fred has done lots of things with the #6---filtration, dry sump--

Last edited by GENE LANHAM; 12-06-2016 at 04:57 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry Bob--Some of us are getting to the age that we are accused of repeating ourselves--

--or being forgetful--

-or being old and boring--

The entire 1970 season was a blur. Old Blue was traveling cross country so many times she was getting balky. The schedule for RedBird continued to grow. The Chief called me into his office and asked me what I was trying to do or if I really intended to be a Firefighter?? (I had to remind him how much work his old JohnRude needed)

The Rest Of The Story:
    We ran 10 or 11 races in the 32' Cary---I wish I had kept a log--we completed every race--only had one failure--a broken distributor while leading the Bahamas 500.

NO failures on the SBP lower unit
    But---I tore down each unit after every race!! Often to replace just the seals and lower driveshaft rollers--most races were less than four hours---After the '500' (8+hours) it was a major overhaul!!

After Parker 1970 (Three Failures SSM's) I started rebuilding the SSM's on the Bird---I was receiving daily UPS shipments and pails of SuperDuty Lube (Thanks, Schwebby)

I've wondered if the modern synthetic lubes, better metallurgy, would have helped the life of these units---I know Fred has done lots of things with the #6---filtration, dry sump--

Gene - Always good to hear from you....!! Thanks for sharing your secrets to a longer lower unit life. Additionally thank you for posting the picture of you, Old Blue and Red Bird in the snow. I have been trying to find that picture for some time with no luck, so you just made my day. You posted that one a while back and have never been able to fine it...until now.

As far as the age related issues, I just look at it as a part of the process. It is the hand that we are dealt and how we deal with it makes us who we are. I think of my mind as a hard drive on a computer. When a hard drive is loaded to maximum capacity, it has to shed some information in order to make space for more information. So, yes, we do forget things, but that is only to make space for more information that is yet to come.

Now here is a thought to get your hard drive spinning. The circumference of the earth is 24,901 miles. If you were to straight line every mile that you have raced a boat during your entire racing career, I would be willing to bet that you have raced around the world....

You must have a treasure trove of pictures of racing from the 60's and 70's that you have never posted. Any chance that you might be persuaded in posting more of those pictures?

I think the picture below is Old Blue transporting Schwebby's Super Duty Lube....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Old Blue.jpg 
Views:	340 
Size:	156.9 KB 
ID:	362069
    Last edited by Bob V; 12-06-2016 at 08:25 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The question of lubrication in those old SSMs is a good one. I can recall seeing the guys running Speedmasters going back to check prop backlash as soon as they got their boats out of the water. I know some guys tried several different concoctions without any improvement in longevity. I have been running the synthetic gear lube in my 225 Opti for years. It still checks out at factory specs today.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob V View Post

You must have a treasure trove of pictures of racing from the 60's and 70's that you have never posted. Any chance that you
    Bob: Ted has been showing pictures on Facebook--doing a fantastic job--Can you access them from here? The Return of Redbird by Gene Lanham and Ted Boyd.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Bob V;2912450
    Now here is a thought to get your hard drive spinning. The circumference of the earth is 24,901 miles. If you were to straight line every mile that you have raced a boat during your entire racing career, I would be willing to bet that you have raced around the world....

[/QUOTE]

Hey Bob---I wish I had kept a log!! Coles Phinizy did an article for SI and did an estimate--

Magoon's mechanic, Gene Lanham, has ridden more than 13,000 rough miles with him in the past six years,

8. Likes Mark75H liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Bob---I wish I had kept a log!! Coles Phinizy did an article for SI and did an estimate--

Magoon's mechanic, Gene Lanham, has ridden more than 13,000 rough miles with him in the past six years,
    Gene - I think that you just verified my point. If you logged over 13,000 miles with Dr. Bob over a 6 year period, think about all the races and marathons that you race by yourself or with others during your entire racing career. I am sure that you can easily come up with an additional 11,901 miles. That would give you the distinction of racing the entire distance of the circumference of the earth...

10. Thanks GENE LANHAM thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How long do the current speedmasters hold up on the modern v6 motors?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bob: Ted has been showing pictures on Facebook--doing a fantastic job--Can you access them from here? The Return of Redbird by Gene Lanham and Ted Boyd.
    Here are a few random pictures...

Name:	GL 21.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	362265

Name:	GL 1.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	85.4 KB 
ID:	362267

Name:	GL 22.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	84.6 KB 
ID:	362266

Name:	GL 3.jpg 
Views:	293 
Size:	103.1 KB 
ID:	362190

Name:	GL 4.jpg 
Views:	301 
Size:	131.6 KB 
ID:	362191

Name:	GL 9.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	227.1 KB 
ID:	362260

Name:	GL 10.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	151.0 KB 
ID:	362261

Name:	GL 2.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	115.8 KB 
ID:	362263

Name:	Lanham%20Swing.jpg 
Views:	301 
Size:	139.1 KB 
ID:	362194

Name:	Page 2a.jpg 
Views:	291 
Size:	207.1 KB 
ID:	362197

Name:	Gene Lanham 1.jpg 
Views:	303 
Size:	241.4 KB 
ID:	362204
    "I don't think that duct tape is going to work on this one"

Name:	Page 2.jpg 
Views:	329 
Size:	135.7 KB 
ID:	362205

Name:	GL 11.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	148.3 KB 
ID:	362262

Name:	GL 5.jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	136.6 KB 
ID:	362264

Name:	GL 13.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	362268

Name:	GL 12.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	89.7 KB 
ID:	362269

Last edited by Bob V; 12-09-2016 at 09:57 AM.

13. Thanks GENE LANHAM thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gene- I forgot to post the most important picture of all....A man and his best friend...!!

Name:	GL 6.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	79.7 KB 
ID:	362291
    Last edited by Bob V; 12-09-2016 at 10:38 AM.

15. Thanks GENE LANHAM thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok so I've got my 1350 powerhead ready to drop onto this mid. Everything looks good to go except for the exhaust. Was there an exhaust tube on the BP's? Or is this a stacker specific mid that doesn't need any exhaust tube? Unlike the stock mids the adapter plate is not removable so I can't just use the plate from my 1350. Thanks for all the help identifying this mid

Name:	IMG_7151 (1).jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	175.5 KB 
ID:	376617

Annapolis, MD ragboat capital of the world
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    No exhaust tube on the BP ... you don't even use it with a Speedmaster on a regular short mid.

18. Thanks starviper10 thanked for this post
    Likes GENE LANHAM liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I put it together for a test fit yesterday. Have some studs that are too long but everything else went together well. Am I being dumb or do the lower cowls not fit on these mid sections? They can't fit around the mid and slide up like on regular mids.

Name:	IMG_7204.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	414.2 KB 
ID:	376783Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7203.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	399.2 KB 
ID:	376784

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3