Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hydraulic steering

I'm having my boat rigged with hydraulic steering with the installation of my new power plant. What are the advantages of this conversion? I've been told by my mechanic that's rigging the motor that I'll love it. I wanted to eliminate torquing of the steering wheel. It was a handful and with my new motor and increase in HP I wanted to eliminate it. My 24' Ultra has 425 hp and there is absolutely none so driving the outboard makes for an entirely different steering experience

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had Jack Barsh install Hydraulic steering on my STV Euro when he built it and I love it. A lot better than the 2 cable rack system I had on my Baja.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the only people that dont like hydraulic steering is those who have not got it or those who have not tried it.
    its very good, no slop (providing its set up right) and you can let go of the wheel with no fear of it moving.
    with a good well known quality hydraulic system you wont believe how nice it is.

Mine is an old system made by morse, now with all new seals and working 100%, I can let go of the wheel whenever I want and no way will the outboard move.
    also I had bad torque from the wheel on the holeshot and all over the place at idle speeds, this has completely gone now and makes it a joy rather than a battle.
    the engine dont move at all when on the trailer neither, so no having to strap it down to stop it swinging left and right when on the move.

I love it and cant see any pitfalls with it, just keep an eye out for any leaks and enjoy.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phillnjack View Post
    I can let go of the wheel whenever I want and no way will the outboard move.
    also I had bad torque from the wheel on the holeshot and all over the place at idle speeds, this has completely gone now
    This is exactly what I'm looking to accomplish

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hydraulic steering for me was the only way I could have driven my boat after 2 heart surgeries, an Allison Grandsport ! Not a very easy boat to drive anyway .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the speeds and with the forces being applied by modern motors and props hydraulic steering is as much a safety issue as it is a comfort issue. Personaly I will never own another boat without hydraulic steering and to that point, it will always be power assisted. As was said above, those question the value of power assisted hydraulic steering are those who have never tried it.

Currently the state of the art power assisted outboard steering is Ultraflex Masterdrive. It can be had for the same price as any other power assisted system and it's arguably superior to even the Mercury Verado power assist system.
    Mark

7. Likes NICE PAIR liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mjw930 View Post
    At the speeds and with the forces being applied by modern motors and props hydraulic steering is as much a safety issue as it is a comfort issue. Personaly I will never own another boat without hydraulic steering and to that point, it will always be power assisted. As was said above, those question the value of power assisted hydraulic steering are those who have never tried it.

Currently the state of the art power assisted outboard steering is Ultraflex Masterdrive. It can be had for the same price as any other power assisted system and it's arguably superior to even the Mercury Verado power assist system.
    The Masterdrive steering looks great, but they did not recommend it for big twin outboards @ over 100. if you call them they will tell you their working parameters. nice peeps to talk to.
    Wriggleys gum makes me think of boating, "Double your engines, Double your fun"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Masterdrive is what I got.

10. Likes NICE PAIR liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NICE PAIR View Post
    The Masterdrive steering looks great, but they did not recommend it for big twin outboards @ over 100. if you call them they will tell you their working parameters. nice peeps to talk to.
    I agree, great people to talk to. I explained my setup, single 300xs on a small cat and they blessed it. Did they indicate which part of the system was the weak link in a twin setup?
    Mark

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mjw930 View Post
    I agree, great people to talk to. I explained my setup, single 300xs on a small cat and they blessed it. Did they indicate which part of the system was the weak link in a twin setup?
    They just couldn't accept the liability for the amount of torque on the system with 300 hp twins. Personally I think it would work with an adequate tie bar. (left torque should equal right torque, all steering does is steer)

I'd love to have power steering. :-)

13. Likes WillySteve liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You wont be disappointed. It has been the best money I've spent on my boat. Good luck

1998 Triad V-21

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NICE PAIR View Post
    They just couldn't accept the liability for the amount of torque on the system with 300 hp twins. Personally I think it would work with an adequate tie bar. (left torque should equal right torque, all steering does is steer)

I'd love to have power steering. :-)
    It's probably a question with the nose mounted rams and the front mounted tie bar setup they use for their existing multi engine setup. A wing plate mounted tie bar and a balanced set of external rams coupled to their hydraulics would probably work perfectly. To your point, a wing plate mounted tie bar with their nose mounted rams, if installed and balanced correctly, should work fine too. That last setup is what builders of large cats with twin 400's are using with the integrated steering rams built into the 400's.
    Last edited by mjw930; 10-31-2016 at 09:45 AM.
    Mark

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    absolutely love my hydraulic steering. Got it last year, and its the first hydraulic setup I've ever had. In the past, have had plenty of little boats with cables, and I'll never go back.
    Last edited by home made tunnel; 10-31-2016 at 08:54 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No torque, lighter steering for docking, less feel at top end. Works for me.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by home made tunnel View Post
    absolutely love my hydraulic steering. Got it last year, and its the first hydraulic setup I've ever had. In the past, have had plenty of little boats with cables, and I'll never go back.
    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    No torque, lighter steering for docking, less feel at top end. Works for me.
    Hey Guys, don't forget to eyeball your stuff all the time, take a good look anytime something doesn't sound or feel right.

If you were to bang a fitting on the dock, not notice, and it popped .......... Just like a broken cable = no steering.

Also, know that your reservoir is full (enough, don't over fill) .... a slow leak, not detected (overboard or under deck) will eventually leave you with no steering or worse, a ton of slop when you need it the least.

19. Thanks home made tunnel thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast