Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m going from a Yamaha 300 VMAX to a Mercury 300xs on an LCB. The Yamaha was using Latham Side mount steering (wingplate) I would rather go with a front mount cylinder on the Mercury but as far as I can see all the Manufacturers don’t recommend their front mount systems over 65mph? Is it just a Liability thing or are the front mounts unsafe at high speed (100+ mph). Thanks, Jeff

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuclear Fishin View Post
    I’m going from a Yamaha 300 VMAX to a Mercury 300xs on an LCB. The Yamaha was using Latham Side mount steering (wingplate) I would rather go with a front mount cylinder on the Mercury but as far as I can see all the Manufacturers don’t recommend their front mount systems over 65mph? Is it just a Liability thing or are the front mounts unsafe at high speed (100+ mph). Thanks, Jeff
    Call the folks at UFlex, they will tell you exactly what they will and won't "recommend". Don't rely on vendors or online manuals, go directly to the source.

I talked to them about my application on a 22 Talon with a 300xs and they recommended their Masterdrive with the Silverstar nose mounted ram without qualification.
    Mark

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mjw930 View Post
    Call the folks at UFlex, they will tell you exactly what they will and won't "recommend". Don't rely on vendors or online manuals, go directly to the source.

I talked to them about my application on a 22 Talon with a 300xs and they recommended their Masterdrive with the Silverstar nose mounted ram without qualification.
    Hey Mark, Thanks for the reply. Do you mean the Silversteer Cylinder? Uflex is good with this on a 300xs at 100mph?
    Thanks, Jeff

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Mark, Thanks for the reply. Do you mean the Silversteer Cylinder? Uflex is good with this on a 300xs at 100mph?
    Thanks, Jeff
    Yes, Silversteer and yes, they as well as Mercury Racing are fine with it in our applications (light weight cats in lake/river applications). It's only when you start getting into rough water (offshore or very large lakes) and the boat gets airborne a lot that things like the offshore mid and external steering add that extra level of security. For example, I probably wouldn't use it on a twin 28 Skater application. However, the 400R uses an integral nose mounted ram and there are big cats using these with tie bars and no wing plates so if engineered correctly wing plates and external rams aren't needed.

I know many here will scoff at this, claiming years and years of experience but I've spoken to Mercury Racing as well as UFlex engineers who are very familiar with my Talon and boats of that ilk and they both agree as well as my boat builder so I'm good with it.

like I said, talk to the people who engineer and build this stuff then come to your own conclusions. Don't get caught up in Internet pissing contests.
    Mark

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mjw930 View Post
    Yes, Silversteer and yes, they as well as Mercury Racing are fine with it in our applications (light weight cats in lake/river applications). It's only when you start getting into rough water (offshore or very large lakes) and the boat gets airborne a lot that things like the offshore mid and external steering add that extra level of security. For example, I probably wouldn't use it on a twin 28 Skater application. However, the 400R uses an integral nose mounted ram and there are big cats using these with tie bars and no wing plates so if engineered correctly wing plates and external rams aren't needed.

I know many here will scoff at this, claiming years and years of experience but I've spoken to Mercury Racing as well as UFlex engineers who are very familiar with my Talon and boats of that ilk and they both agree as well as my boat builder so I'm good with it.

like I said, talk to the people who engineer and build this stuff then come to your own conclusions. Don't get caught up in Internet pissing contests.
    Mark, Thanks again for the reply and I agree with all you have said including the pissing contest. Thanks for your help, I’m going with the Silversteer. If you’re ever on the Gulf Coast Crystal River area give a shout.
    Thanks, Jeff

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had hydraulic steering on my previous boat - a "SeaStar Pro" that wasn't really a "Pro" and it would seize up on acceleration (17ft runabout with Merc 200xs 15 SM and ET 28p). When I bought the Allison it had the dual cable setup and I liked the feedback from it but last season I changed to a SeaStar Tournament series heavy duty hydraulic steering and it is a perfect fit. It manages the torque from the propeller (I run 28-30p) with ease. Allison boats sold me the setup with cylinder, hoses and pump. I am very satisfied!
    http://www.seastarsolutions.com/prod...ar_tournament/
    RIB Unlimited 600/Merc 150 ProMax ss
    Allison SS-2000/Merc 200xs ss
    Hydrolift T-17/Merc 200xs ss

7. Likes pkstv liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just got off the phone with Uflex. They Do Not Recommendthe SilverSteer UC128-SVS cylinder at speeds exceeding 69 mph. Back to thedrawing board. Does anyone know who makes a Front mount cylinder that is recommendedfor speeds of 100mph?
    Thanks, Jeff

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't know what to tell you, maybe it's the MasterDrive helm and pump that makes it viable vs. simply the cylinder but they gave me the green light for a 22 Talon with a 105mph projected top speed but that's with MasterDrive, not SilverSteer alone.
    Mark

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latham has a twin arm front mount but they also don't recommend for over 80. I also was told by U flex no go for high speed.
    24 Twister

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The guy at Uflex did say “if it were me and I was on straight flat water I wouldn’t worry about running 100mph with the Silversteer”

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The guy at Uflex did say “if it were me and I was on straight flat water I wouldn’t worry about running 100mph with the Silversteer”
    Considering SeaStar still calls out high speed bass boats and such with their Pro ram I really think it's the lawyers stepping in. Last year that restriction wasn't called out and I'm not aware of any issues that popped up. In my discussions it was really around my application. If I was in a larger rig which would be running at those speeds and getting air I would use a wing plate AND and Offshore Mid. When you consider that the only time I'll be running my Talon at speeds exceeding 70 mph are going to be relatively smooth and straight, the boat simply isn't designed to be an offshore or serious rough water boat at high speeds.

I also recall my discussions were focussed on MasterDrive and the engineer did comment that the upgraded helm and the power steering really improves the feel and strength at higher torque situations. Basically 2 fingers @ 100mph, if you are so inclined
    Mark

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Mark, yes I agree and was thinking the same. Whenever I do run over say 75mph you can bet it will be straight and flat. Just bought aUflex Silversteer front mount. Thanks for all your input.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2