Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerabout View Post
    I wonder if people are putting 24v through 12v solenoids?
    As long as you are using 12v for the trip still it's fine to just have a higher voltage across the poles, amperage is what would kill it not voltage.

I personally like using ford truck starter solenoids have always held up well for me in all kinds of stuff.

2. Likes W2F a V-King liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Extremely glad to read it had a good outcome!
    Kevin, fantastic job catching that accident sequence......

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ok, so here goes.....
    To all those S&F members and members of the racing and performance boating community, on behalf of my wife Jackie, son Jacob and I, THANKS very much for your thoughts, prayers and best wishes.
    Your support means more then you will ever know!!
    To all those at the race site on Sunday who took the time to say hello and check up on me....
    Greg Scott, Scotty to Hottie, Bob Alby, Rich Srnec, Harry Billiot, Taylor Crabtree, Shane Stovall to name a few, but far from all......
    Thank you!
    To the ODBA exec, organisers and membership for their support and thoughts....Thank you.
    To the EMS guys who fished my hairy ass outta the drink.....Thanks
    To the group of guys that took the time to tear apart my engine so it could live to run again....
    RBT, Erik Kiser, Brian Gieger, Cody Tarver, Darrell Pettifer and Nick Giardelli.....there's likely a few more I'm not aware of......Thanks!
    To the rest of Team Canada that packed up our stuff.....Ted Biglow, John Archer, Blake Sewall, Doug, Martina, Mikey, Kristen etc....Thanks.
    To Cindy....from Performance Propeller in Soddy-Daisy..... Tim did a spectacular job of repairing one of my best props for me on Thursday when we arrived, he also worked another one which performs even better....(.and yes it has all 3 blades), it's his in house angel Cindy that I need to thank in this situation though. Not only did she deliver the 2 props to my hotel on thursday night so I could test on Friday, after my swim on Saturday she took my wife aside, gave her her cell number and told her to call if she needed anything. Cindy then showed up at the hospital with all the bits and pieces to make an impromptu overnight stay more comfortable for Jackie.
    Cindy, you're a special lady....Thank you.
    Most of the details about my air show are already out there but, to answer a few of the questions or address some of the comments....
    Kevin- You ROCK! Your photos are incredible and all those that race in Jasper owe you.....large!
    Twister- Yes, apparently I did win. I saw the finish line video on Sunday but my son very happily told me at the hospital. After he realised I was OK it was pretty much the first thing out of his mouth!
    Flabum-No, lost the hat.... No voice data recorder however my last words were "this is not going to end well".... I'm totally serious, after I saw the nose starting to lift those words came out of my mouth.
    Mr Fun- I've always made it a point to make sure my guardian angel can keep up. I have a couple of different ones depending on what I'm up to. /;-)
    Rich- Thanks, I'm sure you can relate!
    Harry- Bingo on the "enough trim to deal with the tail wind". As RBT said, in normal conditions I could drive the boat with full trim.....it was a wild ride but it wouldn't blow over. That day the full trim combined with some rollers and the wind conditions towards the end of the track created the "perfect storm" as a result I went for a swim. BTW, I'm slightly taller then JJ, weigh less and have more hair. /;-)
    Enough of my ramblings.....
    Now that I'm back on line on somewhat of a regular basis I'll try to address any questions or comments as they come up.
    .....another week of taking it easy then I've got a boat to work on.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Glad to hear you are okay and sounds like "just as important" you haven't lost your desire to get back after it.

Joe

6. Likes olboatman, Tomanytoys liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greg I am glad you are healing up quickly. I know you said that you like my pictures, but these are not the kind of pictures that I like to take. So lets try to not do this again.

8. Likes aeneas liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    when I was in the water helping them flip the boat over to put it on the trailer it was obvious the trim was stuck all the way up. I thought the ram or bracket was broken and jammed but once it was on the trailer there was nothing out of place. It was Maxed out all the way up. The pass looked great and the boat was running much better then youd think it would in those conditions.

Hope you have a quick recovery
    Last edited by baja200merk; 10-23-2016 at 08:46 PM.
    Quartershot T-3R 15" 3.5L E-Tec 1.62 Sportmaster

10. Thanks Tomanytoys thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by baja200merk View Post
    when I was in the water helping them flip the boat over to put it on the trailer it was obvious the trim was stuck all the way up. I thought the ram or bracket was broken and jammed but once it was on the trailer there was nothing out of place. It was Maxed out all the way up. The pass looked great and the boat was running much better then youd think it would in those conditions.

Thanks for the help at the ramp.
    First rounds on me next year. ;-)
    The trim ram is toast! The shaft is bent like a pretzel, it's pretty wild. I'm looking forward to getting a good look at it when I get it all apart.
    I'll get some pics out once it's apart.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin_From_NJ View Post
    Greg I am glad you are healing up quickly. I know you said that you like my pictures, but these are not the kind of pictures that I like to take. So lets try to not do this again.
    You got a deal Kevin!!

13. Likes Kevin_From_NJ liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    happy to see you're able to post and help us feel you're okay. Nobody should have to go through what you did and we thank God for your recovery!
    why ask me ?

15. Thanks Tomanytoys thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomanytoys View Post
    Thanks for the help at the ramp.
    First rounds on me next year. ;-)
    The trim ram is toast! The shaft is bent like a pretzel, it's pretty wild. I'm looking forward to getting a good look at it when I get it all apart.
    I'll get some pics out once it's apart.
    Any time hate to see that happen to anyone.

I would assume that happened during the crash not the cause of the crash. Hind sight is 20/20 but you guys always have the best of the best. Parts are still designed by humans there is no way around some thing weird like that breaking. Comes with the territory. Glad your ok, the boat can be fixed
    Quartershot T-3R 15" 3.5L E-Tec 1.62 Sportmaster

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by baja200merk View Post

The ram was broken. The blast of water that hit the back of the power head when the boat came back into the water pulled the ram out. We put it back into the cylinder to work on the power head. Looking at the pictures of the boat upside down I'm very surprised the boat could be driven with that much trim. Looks way past running height to me
    Erik Kiser

18. Thanks baja200merk thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greg -

I hope this doesn't sound insensitive, but can you describe the run and what happened when you knew you were in trouble ? The thoughts going thru your head, did you have time to "think" or brace for impact?

MDS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesufka View Post
    Greg -

I hope this doesn't sound insensitive, but can you describe the run and what happened when you knew you were in trouble ? The thoughts going thru your head, did you have time to "think" or brace for impact?

MDS
    Mike,
    Sorry for not responding sooner, been kinda busy....
    Not insensitive at all.
    One of the reasons I wanted Kevin to post the pics was guys could ask questions, get answers and someone might learn something.
    As far as the run goes....
    Light went green and I stood on it. Boat left hard, it had been running great all day.
    With the tail wind we had going on I needed a bit more trim then I had programmed into the timer. I bumped the 12v up button on the wheel, once, maybe twice.
    I noticed a couple of very long rollers on the track. They didn't look very big and were far apart.
    As I came down the first one the nose seemed to stay high (cuz it did). I think the second one acted as a ramp. I noticed the nose started to lift, given the now over trimmed engine.
    I found my self looking down, towards my trim timer, knowing full well I was in the process of changing direction but not realising to what extent. That's when I said to myself "this is not going to end well".
    I remember hearing a crunch which I'm pretty sure was the nose of the boat hitting the water.
    At that point I was still hangin on to the wheel.
    Next thing I remember I was in the hospital.

21. Thanks Kcraft, whipper thanked for this post
    Likes Kevin_From_NJ liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How was your leg had to have been what bent the steering wheel shaft on the way out
    19 bullet
    82 v king
    84 v king
    93 stv pro comp
    07 venom
    80 gt20
    93 v-21
    89 stv procomp
    97 xr 2001
    89 stv pro comp
    82 17 action marine
    99 action craft flats boat