Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I Am Looking Opinions On Putting 2 300X Motors On My Cougar 22MTR!!

Update! I have been in touch with the owner of the only 22MTR with 300X motors on it that I am aware of. He sent me some photos of it and the transom inside the boat looks the same as mine, however the gas tanks are much further forward and about a 6" set back bracket with a 6" Bob's jack plate. Batteries, oil tank and the 4 pumps are mounted in similar locations to mine. His boat was factory rigged with Marine Machine full hydraulic steering and hull mounted pick ups. He has made it think the conversion is doable with set changes to mine. Let's hear your opinions.
    Thanks
    Gary

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am still strongly considering this project and I would like to hear your opinion-positive or negative and also what set-up changes you suggest and why. Let me know on here or by e-mail at garyeisnor@eatslink.ca
    Thanks
    Gary
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 025.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buy my boat rigged less motors. put your motors on it and be riding in a couple of days. always take the easy route. writing a check is painless.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by davemvegas View Post
    Buy my boat rigged less motors. put your motors on it and be riding in a couple of days. always take the easy route. writing a check is painless.
    Dave
    I like the looks of your boat but as I told you before that it is to wide and too heavy for my boat lift otherwise I would consider it unless you come down $5,000 in price so that I could buy a new lift.
    Thanks
    Gary

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PM sent.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really think it is a bad idea all around. Transom will need to be reinforced and the boat will not be balanced even hanging them direct on the transom with no jack plate or setback plate. Bigger is not always better. Having driven and owned dozens of cats (including a 22 with twins), driving a boat with the center of gravity so far back is scary. Every time you run over a large wave the boat is going to go into orbit. The 300X is a lazy motor. Makes a lot of torque but spins up slowly compared to the 260 or 280 that are a blast to drive. The 300X will run for 100's of hours before rebuild unlike the 2.5 race motors. You will gain some top speed but at what cost financially and the boat ride will suffer. Get a bigger boat that will handle the 300X. When I converted my 36 cat with triple 280 to triple 300X the weight was very noticeable and I had to move the three batteries 10' forward from mid ship to the front and run with the front water ballast tank on full most of the time.
    Last edited by Brad Zastrow; 12-09-2016 at 06:21 PM.

7. Likes Star1 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow View Post
    I really think it is a bad idea all around. Transom will need to be reinforced and the boat will not be balanced even hanging them direct on the transom with no jack plate or setback plate. Bigger is not always better. Having driven and owned dozens of cats (including a 22 with twins), driving a boat with the center of gravity so far back is scary. Every time you run over a large wave the boat is going to go into orbit. The 300X is a lazy motor. Makes a lot of torque but spins up slowly compared to the 260 or 280 that are a blast to drive. The 300X will run for 100's of hours before rebuild unlike the 2.5 race motors. You will gain some top speed but at what cost financially and the boat ride will suffer. Get a bigger boat that will handle the 300X. When I converted my 36 cat with triple 280 to triple 300X the weight was very noticeable and I had to move the three batteries 10' forward from mid ship to the front and run with the front water ballast tank on full most of the time.
    Brad
    I value your vast knowledge and I will take this info into consideration. I live on a lake that is only 4 miles long and 1/2 mile wide at it's widest point. It does not get very rough and if it does the boat stays on the lift. If I were to do it, I would go with very small setbacks and hydraulic jack plates, move batteries and pumps forward and possibly adding ballast under the bow. This is all in the thinking stages at this point. I have found a 22MTR rigged from the factory with twin 300Xs and it has the gas tanks mounted in the sponsons up under the dash. I have also found 2 23MTRs with 300Xs on them but they will be too big for my lake, garage and lift.

Keep the opinions coming. That is the reason for the post.
    Thanks
    Gary

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just get a 23 Mtr. Not much bigger. Gets to 100 quick. No regrets.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also my dad had a cougar Mtr 23 with 300s. Thing sucked! 280s would crush it and ride was night and day difference then the 300s. porpoises like crazy and is a dog with 300s. And that boat was set up by mercury lol

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you do twins on the 22. Sell the 300s and put some promaxes or 280 and be done.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Esox4130 View Post
    If you do twins on the 22. Sell the 300s and put some promaxes or 280 and be done.
    Steve
    I am not interested in any 2.5s, I had one 2.4 BP and a 260 but I like oil injection and the quieter engine. I am a bit confused with the 2 posts above-you tell me to buy a 23 but then you state that your dad's 23 sucked with the 300s. I am assuming that you meant that your boat with the 2.5s was a better handling boat.
    Thanks
    Gary

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes the 300 sucked. It handles terrible. I would imaging being even worst with the 22. Maybe a big trim tab would help though.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can put twin 2.5 200 ros on there and still have oil injection just a thought they only weight 425 pounds and can turn 8 grand

15. Likes whipper liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Steve
    The 22 and one of the 23s I found have small, fixed trim tabs over the tunnels, so did my previous 22 with the single 300X. I read a test that one of the boat magazines did back in 2000 or so on a 23 with twin 300PMs, that transom wedges made a difference as well.

Michael J Giesler
    If I do the conversion, I want to stick with the 300Xs because I already have them.

Keep the opinions coming.
    Thanks
    Gary
    Last edited by Hydrogasm; 12-10-2016 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Added info

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Night and day difference between the 22 and 23 ft Cougars when adding 200 extra pounds out the back over 2.5,s Im with the side of not doing twin 300x motors on a 22. I mean sure acceleration would be out standing but cornering and probably porpoising would make it not worth it for me. Balast tank forward, gas tank forward and what ever else to help with fulcrum point still like driving with 2 or 3 extra passengers all the time. Another option that wouldn't hurt your ride quality and still meet your need for speed and acceleration would be to send the lowest hour motor to Dave bush or Simon who ever can make the best HP, sell the other one to pay for the work on a full Monty DBR treatment and have one of the fastest single engine 22 Cougars that wont kill you on the planet. Just another option. If she was a 23 I would say yes go for it. Or if you went 280,s yes then go for it. But with the extra 100 lbs per side of the 300X over a 260 or 280 your flat cornering you have now and zero porpoise might make her a little awkward feeling and unruly at times. With the size of your lake hot roding your best existing 300X will probably get you a better sensation that you can live with and be 100+++ with a single increased rpm to run smaller wheels and way better fuel economy to boot. OR sell both X motors buy a new 300xs add dbr with 350hp.
    Last edited by whipper; 12-10-2016 at 02:16 AM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast