Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a lot of good info here. Thanks for all of your posts. I'm working in my garage. I sectioned of 1/2 of it with plastic for grinding. I have one fan blowing fresh air in one end and another blowing out. I do make a big mess with dust. I found a foam filter for my shop vac so I can practice shooting the dust into it (I made a funnel type attachment for it). I think my ventilation will be fine as soon as I can direct most of the dust into the vac or flexible duct system. I got some good ideas now so back to the grind!!

Have lived and worked in New Zealand ,Tahiti,Australia,Japan , south Korea, And now Suzhou in China
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cgriff View Post
    This is a lot of good info here. Thanks for all of your posts. I'm working in my garage. I sectioned of 1/2 of it with plastic for grinding. I have one fan blowing fresh air in one end and another blowing out. I do make a big mess with dust. I found a foam filter for my shop vac so I can practice shooting the dust into it (I made a funnel type attachment for it). I think my ventilation will be fine as soon as I can direct most of the dust into the vac or flexible duct system. I got some good ideas now so back to the grind!!
    Its a well know fact that the people with the worst track record for safety and the dirtiest workers are the one wearing the most protective gear and clothing I have found in Companies I have worked . One particular gentleman was sent to our department because he was so accident prone .So he was threatened that if he has one accident in one week he was automatically fired no questions asked PLUS everyone in my department was not going to wear of use any safety gear for that whole week as well including my self . Funny no one got so much as a scratch including the prone individual in question ! working clean and safe is a personal responsibility for everyone ! we all watch out not only for ourselves but always unquestionably for others as well!
    Last edited by tunnels; 10-31-2016 at 06:07 AM.
    Messing round with boats is fun !! the learning never stops ,even after more than 30 years there's always something new happening somewhere ! BUT somethings never change and some problems never go away and just keep reoccurring !!so moved into Composite Forensics , Now that something completely new !!

3. Likes Cgriff liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I feel that I have to interject here. I have watched several of my old friends die from long term chemical exposure. Terrible thing to see. Made me get out of the business. No one knew back in the 60's and 70's how dangerous the materials were. When the polyisocyanates (imron etc.) came around the game was changed. It became way more hazardous. They are beyond the scope of the respirators ability to protect you from the vapors when used in an area with even low concentrations. Do not think you are really protected completely by a carbon filter. Fresh air and lots of it, is the only way to lessen the exposure levels. Even an air supplied respirator has to be supplied with un-contaminated air. Not a sure thing! A tank of compressed air is the only way I have ever seen that was 100% safe. (like fire men use) Then you have to deal with the skin exposure side of chemicals, which can be just as lethal as breathing them. Respect the stuff, and never let your guard down.

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

5. Likes Cgriff, W2F a V-King liked this post
    Have lived and worked in New Zealand ,Tahiti,Australia,Japan , south Korea, And now Suzhou in China
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=XstreamVking;2904566]I feel that I have to interject here. I have watched several of my old friends die from long term chemical exposure. Terrible thing to see. Made me get out of the business. No one knew back in the 60's and 70's how dangerous the materials were. When the polyisocyanates (imron etc.) came around the game was changed. It became way more hazardous. They are beyond the scope of the respirators ability to protect you from the vapors when used in an area with even low concentrations. Do not think you are really protected completely by a carbon filter. Fresh air and lots of it, is the only way to lessen the exposure levels. Even an air supplied respirator has to be supplied with un-contaminated air. Not a sure thing! A tank of compressed air is the only way I have ever seen that was 100% safe. (like fire men use) Then you have to deal with the skin exposure side of chemicals, which can be just as lethal as breathing them. Respect the stuff, and never let your guard down.[/QUOTE

YOU HAVE BOUGHT UP A VERY VALID POINT !Skin exposure !!any where on your body that is not covered up is liable to absorb all and any of those nastiest, Gel coats and resin are not quite a hazardous as paints but they still need to be taken seriously always , Yip 1970s we had regular checks by the health people and being a gun operator I got the closest attention But sometimes the detectors never picked up a thing simply I used to always spray at a angle going away from me , spray microscopic drops moves air with it and that's why I never got any over spray or fumes my self ! Its a technique I learned long time ago and used ever since to this present day .
    Messing round with boats is fun !! the learning never stops ,even after more than 30 years there's always something new happening somewhere ! BUT somethings never change and some problems never go away and just keep reoccurring !!so moved into Composite Forensics , Now that something completely new !!

7. Likes Cgriff liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by XstreamVking View Post
    I feel that I have to interject here. I have watched several of my old friends die from long term chemical exposure. Terrible thing to see. Made me get out of the business. No one knew back in the 60's and 70's how dangerous the materials were. When the polyisocyanates (imron etc.) came around the game was changed. It became way more hazardous. They are beyond the scope of the respirators ability to protect you from the vapors when used in an area with even low concentrations. Do not think you are really protected completely by a carbon filter. Fresh air and lots of it, is the only way to lessen the exposure levels. Even an air supplied respirator has to be supplied with un-contaminated air. Not a sure thing! A tank of compressed air is the only way I have ever seen that was 100% safe. (like fire men use) Then you have to deal with the skin exposure side of chemicals, which can be just as lethal as breathing them. Respect the stuff, and never let your guard down.
    I agree - especially with respect to the isocyanates in urethane coatings. Both the isocyanate manufacturers and respirator cartridge manufacturers have pushed the use of cartridge respirators for spraying polyurethanes (under appropriate ventilation configurations). However there is A LOT that can go wrong with a cartridge (charcoal organic vapour cartridge) that many people are unaware of, that can severely diminish its protective capability. For example: not being clean shaven, not being fit-tested, not inspecting your respirator before use can all lead to leaks of contaminated air into the mask. The cartridge itself needs to be replaced frequently, and it's difficult for small shops or home users to know when to do this (hint: in the absence of other information, get a new set every day). High humidity significantly reduces the cartridge capacity to adsorb contaminants, as does leaving it open to the atmosphere in a dirty shop when not in use. If you are spraying any type of urethane you will do you and your family a real service if you wear an air-supplied respirator.

You are also correct about skin exposure. There is evidence that skin exposure to isocyanates can initiate the same career-ending sensitization reaction as inhalation. In addition, many common shop solvents can either themselves be absorbed across the skin or make it easier for other chemicals to penetrate the skin.

Matt
    Last edited by MattGreen; 10-31-2016 at 07:54 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yep, for example the acetone you use goes right thru the skin and is deposited in the liver and other vital organs. Very bad stuff. Laquer thinner has ketones as does the resin hardener which are even worse. Resin and gell have cobalt, styrene momomers. One of the early signs of chemical exposure is the thinning of the finger nails. That is how I discovered my exposure level even after being very careful for my 30+ years in the business. I was trained at 18 yrs of age (59 now) by dupont reps on how to avoid problems. And read and followed all the MSDS booklets. So, even with the best prevention methods, I still got some over exposure.

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2