Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by v8chargerdl View Post
    Re AE-21 . It would my pleasure to help you guys out with your AE-21 . You are more than welcome to come over to the house and see the set up and mods on the AE-21. We can take it for a ride weather permitting . keep the wet side down
    look fwd. to discussing the pad with you this winter Mark,we're actually friends on FB,Dave scott is a good buddy of mine,,I read your long thread on fassbotes,while you were restoring the boat,,and know you dont frequent there anymore,,

2. Thanks v8chargerdl thanked for this post
    Likes v8chargerdl liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=dusty69camaro;2902473]
    Quote Originally Posted by Varmint View Post
    Did you weigh that on the trlr.? It will run really well into the 90's with a bridgeport,but buying any merc. race motor that old is a crapshoot, they run best on todays fuel with stock 200 heads at around 130 psi, you can shave em from there to up to a max of 145.

no, not on trailer. it was 1,400 lbs by itself unfortunately.

i have been out to see murph and you are pretty much on the money structurally. the core is overall good, but a little soft in one area so will probably do that too, as well as foam, stringers and knees. And yes, it's from northern ontario. so i guess i've made the decision to move forward with the boat so will be looking for offset and motor now.

nice to hear your thoughts on the bridgeports...not what i want to hear but it's what the little voice inside my head keeps telling me too.
    Honestly if a bridgeport is in your plans, i have seen many that ' run good' but need sleeves or have cracked bridges, just not a good motor to invest in, unless you plan to have a competent machine shop tear down and inspect, better to set your sites on a motor that is more user friendly if you are new to mercury. A 225 promax would be a safer buy. Wow 1400 lbs is real heavy, core/foam must be wet. The core is an easy fix, they only cored the center pod/pad in those hulls. Are you keeping the oem colors ? Or got a new paint scheme in mind ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    look fwd. to discussing the pad with you this winter Mark,we're actually friends on FB,Dave scott is a good buddy of mine,,I read your long thread on fassbotes,while you were restoring the boat,,and know you dont frequent there anymore,,
    alot has changed since those days , upward and onward . i am looking forward to discussing the AE-21 mods with you . thanks MARK

" STRICTLY OMC "

Hydrostream Vulture
    Summerford STV SRV
    STV SPRINT
    Charger STV

5. Likes idvette liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    alot has changed since those days , upward and onward . i am looking forward to discussing the AE-21 mods with you . thanks MARK
    Ques. For you mark, did you ever consider bolting a v8 jonson onto that hull ? I have a 250 pro xs sitting here was wondering if that is too heavy ? I have a 2.5 offshore merc setup too.i know dompie(jacques) has his hst finally touching 100mph with that 3 liter opti that dave scott built him a few years back. Whats your opinion on 2.5 vs 3 liter on these boats, i know your an omc guy, but both companies have good motors in both weight divisions, tks

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is Dompies motor an opti? Thought it is an efi?

And on here is a topic where he claims he hit 95. Did he ran 100 yet?

If so a opti would be great on the hst.
    http://www.geocities.com/fletcher_arrowbeau

Fletcher 17F6
    Hydrostream HST 20F

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ques. For you mark, did you ever consider bolting a v8 jonson onto that hull ? I have a 250 pro xs sitting here was wondering if that is too heavy ? I have a 2.5 offshore merc setup too.i know dompie(jacques) has his hst finally touching 100mph with that 3 liter opti that dave scott built him a few years back. Whats your opinion on 2.5 vs 3 liter on these boats, i know your an omc guy, but both companies have good motors in both weight divisions, tks
    the v8 weighs 540-560lbs not my choice unless you lighten it up .people have bolted the v8 onto the AE-21. its all in the set up and balance of the boat. i run a 3.0 ltr evinrude with 16" of set back it runs very well , i can cruise at 90 mph with 2 people , and the boat has gone 102mph , but i think less set back would be better i will be going to a 12" set back bracket next year . every hull is different all you can do is keep working on the set up until you find what works the best for hull .

" STRICTLY OMC "

Hydrostream Vulture
    Summerford STV SRV
    STV SPRINT
    Charger STV

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboy View Post
    Is Dompies motor an opti? Thought it is an efi?

And on here is a topic where he claims he hit 95. Did he ran 100 yet?

If so a opti would be great on the hst.
    Yes, dompie, jaques has an early opti 225 carb motor, and yes, he's been working on his setup, his engine builder and i were fishing in a bass tourney 2 weeks ago and dompie sent a text saying that he reached the majic number, i think it was with a 30p prop that Dave lent him.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the v8 weighs 540-560lbs not my choice unless you lighten it up .people have bolted the v8 onto the AE-21. its all in the set up and balance of the boat. i run a 3.0 ltr evinrude with 16" of set back it runs very well , i can cruise at 90 mph with 2 people , and the boat has gone 102mph , but i think less set back would be better i will be going to a 12" set back bracket next year . every hull is different all you can do is keep working on the set up until you find what works the best for hull .
    And how much does your 3 liter weigh ? I've seen pics of it, it is a masterpiece.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dave has a fresh 260 here and i have bports but i kinda' want to stay away from nic bores,i have a sweet 03 200 efi dave built me, with 140 psi, sitting on an alien with o/s mid and titus cle, that i could send simon the box in for a flash, but not sure it's enough, it's the same powerhead that peter had on that red 08 venom, down your way, before he bought the 225x ss, we've got all winter to figure it out.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my 3.0 ltr weighs 440 lbs

" STRICTLY OMC "

Hydrostream Vulture
    Summerford STV SRV
    STV SPRINT
    Charger STV

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Varmint;2902876]
    Quote Originally Posted by dusty69camaro View Post

Honestly if a bridgeport is in your plans, i have seen many that ' run good' but need sleeves or have cracked bridges, just not a good motor to invest in, unless you plan to have a competent machine shop tear down and inspect, better to set your sites on a motor that is more user friendly if you are new to mercury. A 225 promax would be a safer buy. Wow 1400 lbs is real heavy, core/foam must be wet. The core is an easy fix, they only cored the center pod/pad in those hulls. Are you keeping the oem colors ? Or got a new paint scheme in mind ?
    not too worried about aesthetics right now, maybe later, and would keep the original colours.

i'm sold on the idea of staying away from the bridge ports in this day and age. also sold on the 225 promax route, are there any more mercs that are optimally suitable for this application that you would recommend? these motors "seem" impossible to find, i've only come across the bp's in my travels...any suggestions on where to find a promax?

setback. would it make sense to start with a 12 or 14" setback? or can we not even really talk about this till we know exactly what motor we're working with?

total rookie question...is setback simply measured straight line from transom to where motor mounts would touch transom if setback bracket and jackplate weren't in equation?

14. Thanks v8chargerdl thanked for this post
    Likes v8chargerdl liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Set back is measured between the front of the motor clamp and the transome. If you are going to run a 2.4 or 2.5 merc motor I would start with 14" setback, the only plate that fits on the transome with out trimming the rear pods is the detwiler, I would use a 4" panther setback and 10" jack plate if it was me. Both the ET lighining and OMC srx are excellent props for this hull.
    1993 Cougar 21ft MTR Superbender SHO

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, dompie, jaques has an early opti 225 carb motor, and yes, he's been working on his setup, his engine builder and i were fishing in a bass tourney 2 weeks ago and dompie sent a text saying that he reached the majic number, i think it was with a 30p prop that Dave lent him.
    i stand corrected jaques motor isn't an opti,it's a 3 liter early 225 carb,and he ran 101 with a hoss 15x30,still trying to find out what he ended up fro setback.

17. Likes v8chargerdl liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=dusty69camaro;2905395]

not too worried about aesthetics right now, maybe later, and would keep the original colours.

i'm sold on the idea of staying away from the bridge ports in this day and age. also sold on the 225 promax route, are there any more mercs that are optimally suitable for this application that you would recommend? these motors "seem" impossible to find, i've only come across the bp's in my travels...any suggestions on where to find a promax?

setback. would it make sense to start with a 12 or 14" setback? or can we not even really talk about this till we know exactly what motor we're working with?

total rookie question...is setback simply measured straight line from transom to where motor mounts would touch transom if setback bracket and jackplate weren't in equation?
    nothing wrong with a BP but a 260 would be a better investment,if you can afford the maintenance,I'd keep looking for a promax.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my 3.0 ltr weighs 440 lbs
    Still quite a bit lighter than a merc. 3 liter.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast