Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

AE-21 Hydrostream, recently acquired, structure and set up questions

i recently acquired an AE-21 Hydrostream 1989. i'm new to these boats and i'm new to this site as well, so any help and direction on anything is appreciated in advance.

the deck, hull and transom is quite reasonable i think. no stress cracking or obvious signs of weakness except for......: "checker" backing plates for top motor mounts are pulling a bit and (the big one)...agh...driver side stringer is missing from the back forward about 1.5'. it appears to continue from there forward under the floor and "sounds" like it's dry and intact, but i am here asking questions as i have no experience in this arena.

the boat itself weighs 1,500 lbs on scales with half tank of fuel. i'm guessing it's saturated, however there is probably a couple hundred pounds of fuel and i've read somewhere that these boats were 1,200 lbs dry till half way through 1989 where they dropped to 900 lbs. i'm not sure the reliability of this source or how to find out when this hull was made.

the ultimate question is: what am i doing with this boat, what are my options?

1- i feel with my experience (with "regular" boats up to 65mph) i could let sleeping dogs lie and put a 150-200hp on it and use it as a run about all day long on the small lake i'm going to use it on, as is, and be boating SAFE. am i probably correct or totally out to lunch?

2- could i add an extension to the broken stringer and a scab on the side going from old stringer to extension (bolts or screws), glass it in and be SAFE boating going with a bigger motor and running the boat potentially wet and higher speeds (and if i love the boat do a complete structural rebuild later)?

3- is there just no question, the stringer(s) have to be replaced period or the boat isn't safe to run period?

4- if i get a professional to do it, i'm in the kawartha lakes ontario area, what would be a reasonable price to pay to have the stringers and core done to put hull back to "new" and any recommendations on who?

lastly, i apologize for my ignorance. i got this boat as a therapy boat. it was a childhood dream this style and set up. i've been somewhat practical with my other boats. that being said i don't think i can just slap a motor on it and go and play run about. my dream was a go fast boat and i think i'm cheating myself if i don't go all the way, even if i don't use it but twice a season......the impulsive side of me wants to just put the boat in the shop, pull the fuel cell and start cutting the floor back and back to reveal my kinda surprise. copy what i find, get rid of the rot and replace with new to the best of my ability. the reasonable side of me is saying hey, i'll bet somebody has done this before and can help me not waste energy getting this boat safe and dry i.e. where to cut, where all the foam is, what wood to use, fibreglass, where to pay for things and where to do things yourself etc. so i can get on with dreaming and actioning the magic setup recipe...

sorry everyone, i'm looking for the 101, and trying to be more safe now that i have a family. i hope to be a quick study. maybe this isn't even the hull for me...agh...maybe i should just sell it as is...or maybe i should fall in love and get some sweat into the game and own it...

any direction and opinion is appreciated. thank you!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails this 1.png   this.png  

2. Likes flatbackcanoe, Scream And Fly liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your hull has the same bottom as an HST and there are lots of threads here about inspecting and fixing an HST that will help you understand how they were made and what (usually) needs to be fixed.

Try these:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthread.php?45493
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthread.php?165072
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthread.php?166924

On the HST there is a long "box" full of foam that runs the length of the sponsons. The bottom of the "box" is just above the drain plug and the top of the "box" is the underside of the floor just outside the cockpit. That foam can get soaked; but mine wasn't.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1335.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	281.9 KB 
ID:	357145

4. Thanks dusty69camaro, Scream And Fly thanked for this post
    Likes Scream And Fly liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where in Kawartha Lakes are you? There's a pile of performance boaters in the area, and 2 well running AE's that I know of. Since this is your first boat of it's kind, I would strongly recommend having someone take a look at it. Depending on where you are, Murph's fiberglass between Peterborough and Lakefield, and Ronny's marine between Havelock and Marmora are who I would recommend. They can give you an idea of what shape your hull is actually in, and what's needed to run it. These hulls like power and setback, you'll want a strong transom.

6. Thanks dusty69camaro thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no questions about safety are dumb. your questions are well thought out
    welcome to s&f

8. Thanks dusty69camaro thanked for this post
    Likes Scream And Fly liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drag it to an expert like Murph and find out what it needs and if it's safe as is. You will put far more than resale value into restoration if you pay to have it done. On the other hand, no one is building the AE21 anymore.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it 1,500 lbs with an engine on it or not? My 89 HST is 1,500 lbs with 2.5 engine, 1/2 tank of gas (13 gal) with all rigging and regular gear (anchor, tool, box, etc). The HST interior is layed out different than a AE-21, so I can't really speak towards that on your boat. I redid my HST floor, sub-floor where the gas tank is and seats replaced all the wood with divinycell and lost 120 lbs when i boat it. The sponsons were not soaked on it in the front 3/4's of the sponsons. Although they may have water in the very unaccessible back where the boat sits the lowest.
    1989 Hydrostream HST
    1989 Actioncraft Flatsmaster SE
    2006 Baycraft

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a great thread on here from Jupiter Pulsaire when Steve re-did his AE-21 if you do a search. I second Chris Murphy on looking at your hull as he is local to you and has done two AE-21's up here, Mine ( beavertonae-21 on fastboatscanada and Marks v8charged on the same site.

Steve
    1993 Cougar 21ft MTR Superbender SHO

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 1991 AE-21 aprox 750 lbs bare hull with a 1988 yamaha excell, nose coned with the rev limiter removed. I run a total of 14" setback with a hydrallic plate in there to vary propshaft height for different loads and props. The fastest I have seen so far is 90 mph with a 30p mercury et lightining prop. My motor is about 240 hp. My boat also likes my 29p omc srx prop.
    1993 Cougar 21ft MTR Superbender SHO

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by panther150 View Post
    Mine ( beavertonae-21 on fastboatscanada and Marks v8charged on the same site.

Steve
    There's the 2 AE's that I was talking about lol

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it 1,500 lbs with an engine on it or not?

1,500 lbs with no engine. i did take the fuel cell out and there was 100-120 lbs of fuel, so i guess 1,400 lbs with no motor, gear or back bench is the final weight. so carrying some extra pounds...

how did you tell if and where the sponsons' foam was wet or dry?

by "sub floor where the gas tank and seats are" are you meaning the two "stringers" below the floor?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dusty69camaro View Post

1,500 lbs with no engine. i did take the fuel cell out and there was 100-120 lbs of fuel, so i guess 1,400 lbs with no motor, gear or back bench is the final weight. so carrying some extra pounds...

how did you tell if and where the sponsons' foam was wet or dry?

by "sub floor where the gas tank and seats are" are you meaning the two "stringers" below the floor?

Sponsons I Drilled out 1/2 holes at different points in sponsor and then stuck a dry stick down to the bottom. Let it sit a while and if their was dampness I would see it in the stick.

As for the subfloor the HST I believe has a different layout than the AE I think. Behind the back seat the floor drops down over the center pad/core so it is only a few inches above the core. This is where the gas tank and battery typically is. I replaced that along with the main floor.
    Last edited by rankink; 10-12-2016 at 05:05 PM.
    1989 Hydrostream HST
    1989 Actioncraft Flatsmaster SE
    2006 Baycraft

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have been in contact with chris murphy and hopefully will get the boat to him to take a look friday.

thank you gentleman for your help so far, thank you!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    perfect, thank you!!! i think you're right, no drop down on ae.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    if it truely weighs 14-1500 lbs, it is going to be a total slug. Most certainly find out if it is soggy, and if not it is going to need a serious diet.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dusty69camaro View Post
    i have been in contact with chris murphy and hopefully will get the boat to him to take a look friday.

thank you gentleman for your help so far, thank you!
    Chris rebuilt my Hydrostream, as well as many others in the area. A true performance boater at heart with fiberglass skills and knowledge like none other. Make sure you don't just drop the boat off, spend a little time talking to him. You'll be confident in your choice right away lol

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast