User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Have lived and worked in New Zealand ,Tahiti,Australia,Japan , south Korea, And now Suzhou in China
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A hull without a floor is like a kids plastic lunch box with out a lid it can be twisted very easily but with the lid on an clipped down it instantly becomes ridged !
    Cats and tunnel hulls the same !floors always in and glassed before the hull is released from the mold on the ones used to make
    Messing round with boats is fun !! the learning never stops ,even after more than 30 years there's always something new happening somewhere ! BUT somethings never change and some problems never go away and just keep reoccurring !!so moved into Composite Forensics , Now that something completely new !!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=W2F a V-King;2898560]I contacted the people at Corelite. Filled out a questionair on their website. I asked them about the corelite board, and their corelite pet products. Told them what I was working on, they responded very fast.

I will send off for a sample of the board and PET. I am curious.

Interesting note they sent back to me:

[quote] Dear James,

Thank you for contacting CoreLite. I will be happy to assist you.

The CoreLite Board in 2” should be stiff enough for a transom. CoreLite Board is commonly used in transoms without problems and comes already sanded and ready to be fiberglassed. We recommend that you perform your own testing as well, as the structural requirements may vary from application to application.

For stringers, CoreLite Board is an excellent alternative. However, if lighter material is desired, I recommend you consider CoreLite PET.

For hulls, CoreLite PET is an excellent solution as it provides great strength for its weight at a fraction of the cost of other foam cores. However, it is important to note that there is also no foam in the world that will be able to compete to the mechanical properties of balsa wood (I guess mother nature does it best). This explains why the majority of the world’s largest boat builders still use balsa wood core (and also racing boats, like Cigarette Racing boats). Balsa should never be a problem if it used correctly during the lamination process.

If you would like to go over more details with me over the phone, we can certainly schedule a phone call sometime next week. I am happy to help. Just let me know.
    You can certainly purchase a sample sheet of any of our materials. Epoxy is compatible with all of our materials.

With kind regards,

--
    Giancarlo del Cioppo
    Business Development Manager

Mobile: +1-305-781-1342 | Fax: +1-305-691-9094

The floor/stringers and bulkheads in my HST are the carbon/pvc foam Corelite panels. It is a wonderful product to work with. I used okoume for the transom in 45 degree laminates,

3. Thanks W2F a V-King thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tunnels View Post
    A hull without a floor is like a kids plastic lunch box with out a lid it can be twisted very easily but with the lid on an clipped down it instantly becomes ridged !
    Cats and tunnel hulls the same !floors always in and glassed before the hull is released from the mold on the ones used to make
    That's a great analogy..got a good visual from that.

James
    James H. W2F a V-King... Want 2 Fly a V-King

Dedicated Site for Hydrostreams >> http://hydrostreamforums.com/
    My Project 1979 V-King restore >> http://hydrostreamforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2761

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If balsa wood has within it sugars and oxygen molecules, then the oxidation of the sugars will create water:

C6H12O6+6O2 6CO2+6H2O

even if you vacuum bag the balsa-core material, there will be sugars and oxygen left inside it.

http://biology.stackexchange.com/que...cose-oxidation

I would use composite materials in the core

if the boat is small enough, don't use any core at all.

Last edited by noli; 10-08-2016 at 11:08 AM.

6. Likes XstreamVking, W2F a V-King liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Noli, not trying to argue, but i have a 1981 Eliminator Daytona which is all original and the balsa core is visible through the top layer of glass plain as day and is literally perfect. How so?
    Quote Originally Posted by noli View Post

If balsa wood has within it sugars and oxygen molecules, then the oxidation of the sugars will create water:

C6H12O6+6O2 6CO2+6H2O

even if you vacuum bag the balsa-core material, there will be sugars and oxygen left inside it.

http://biology.stackexchange.com/que...cose-oxidation

I would use composite materials in the core

if the boat is small enough, don't use any core at all.

Have lived and worked in New Zealand ,Tahiti,Australia,Japan , south Korea, And now Suzhou in China
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by capteliminator View Post
    Noli, not trying to argue, but i have a 1981 Eliminator Daytona which is all original and the balsa core is visible through the top layer of glass plain as day and is literally perfect. How so?
    wow that's new !! why because someone did right for a change !!
    Messing round with boats is fun !! the learning never stops ,even after more than 30 years there's always something new happening somewhere ! BUT somethings never change and some problems never go away and just keep reoccurring !!so moved into Composite Forensics , Now that something completely new !!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Checkout these impact tests ==> http://www.fram.nl/faq/how/SP_CoreCell_comp.pdf

"... an impacted balsa panel often shows no outward sign of damage, lulling the boat owner into thinking there is no serious damage. Yet impacts are readily transmitted from the outside skin to the inside skin, the end grain splitting parallel to the grain and causing local skin delamination ..."

...thus if your floor looks like the pic below, and upon visual examination of the surface only shows no visible damage, there could be other things wrong that is not readily visible. Also, surface only inspections will show the balsa that have been embedded and dried into the resin but will not show damage below the surface-balsa-skin.

Don't get me wrong, I luv Elim boats, I'd like to own one someday. A surface-only inspection does not mean that the composite laminates are all good. It most proly is, but to be sure one has to do an invasive inspection, something that I wouldn't do...not for the purposes of these forums anyway

If I were to build a cored bottom, I would proly use CoreCell, as someone already mentioned

Last edited by noli; 10-09-2016 at 01:49 PM.

10. Thanks XstreamVking, W2F a V-King thanked for this post
    Likes XstreamVking, W2F a V-King liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What we forget about balsa is that it has to be dried properly before it is installed. Yacht factory I once worked at stored all the balsa and foam core in a room with a de-humidifier running 24/7.

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

12. Likes Capt.Insane-o, olboatman liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    yes have seen all that sales guff for the last 25 years ! some of those photos are repeated by lots of other companies as well .

I never believe 1/2 of what you see in print and even lease told by a sales man with a smile and a order book in his hand .

I have always done my own testing of cores and different glasses that are used and proven that most is either not true or just sales bull dust ,

Have a look at number 3 photo and see how cleanly the balsa has come off the GLASS skin !!!AND WHERE IS THE RESIN PENITRATION INTO THE BALSA END GRAIN ? THERE IS NON ON ANY OF THE SAMPLES ! WHO EVER MADE THAT SAMPLE DIDNT KNOW WHAT THEY WERE DOING THATS FOR SURE!! ALL LIES !!
    in all my years have never seen balsa do that never. Balsa doesn't come off any skin if its done properly
    also have in all my nearly 4 years never seen balsa shear !!

DONT BELIEVE ALL YOU SEE ! WHEN MAKING SAMPLES YOU CAN BUILD SAMPLE TO DO WHAT EVER YOU WANT THEM TO DO TO PROVE A POINT!!

Many people have used balsa over long period of time and never had problems
    Last edited by tunnels; 10-10-2016 at 06:04 AM.

14. Likes rjdubiel liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I did a lot of boat collision repair and re-construction. What I saw with balsa, it just breaks the outer skin and pushes the core away from the outer skin in the impact area. Balsa being saturated with resin is more solid and is therefore more likely to transmit the impacts force further from the impact site than the foams also. Foam has impact absorbing qualities, and is a softer, less resin saturated material that actually absorbs impact. The pics show what I am referring to.
    Last edited by XstreamVking; 10-09-2016 at 06:59 PM.

Rebuild thread:
    Videos

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by XstreamVking View Post
    I did a lot of boat collision repair and re-construction. What I saw with balsa, it just breaks the outer skin and pushes the core away from the outer skin in the impact area. Balsa being saturated with resin is more solid and is therefore more likely to transmit the impacts force further from the impact site than the foams also. Foam has impact absorbing qualities, and is a softer, less resin saturated material that actually absorbs impact. The pics show what I am referring to.
    http://www.yachtsurvey.com/core_materials.htm says it all !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes, it shows that surveyors do not build boats.........

Rebuild thread:
    Videos

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by XstreamVking View Post
    Yes, it shows that surveyors do not build boats.........
    being a surveyor is one job I could never do ! So i am into Composite forensics IS MUCH MORE INTERESTING finding the reason for the causes of problems .99.9%is bad workmanship and poor understanding by the people doing the job can then trace that back to there supervisors that most haven't got a clue what day of the week it is !

19. Likes XstreamVking liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My test panels did not break like that when I busted them up. The glass was much more reluctant to release from the balsa. But like already said, we do not know how they constructed the panels they used and I used a BFH with the test panel across 2 - 4x4's.
    1973 Viper - sold
    1978 Viking - sold
    1995 XB02

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    you are right ! believe 1/2 of what you see because is all false advertising ! and as for it happening to a whole balsa panel that is a blatant lie!! even using PVA glue would stick better than what ever they used
    Last edited by tunnels; 10-10-2016 at 01:38 PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast