Hi,
I have a 1999 225hp Optimax which I do not know the history on.
It looks to have originally come off a moored boat as the mid shows antifoul paint on the trim motor and brackets.
It appears to have had a recent new dressed powerhead and the newer (Verado /LWP) style gearbox fitted as both have zero corrosion evident and factory paint.
The mid and bracket assembly is heavily corroded.
Due to the condition of the major components, I am looking to drop it down to 20" to suit my hull, rather than sell it as is.
I am undecided regarding the best way forward:
1) Go with a Bass mid and keep my standard average condition cowls.
2) Source out a 300x mid, offshore clamp and cowls and build up a Franken motor

Obviously the Franken motor route will be more expensive, however still appears do-able and as this motor owes me nothing it may be worthwhile.

If I went the Franken Motor route:
1) Does the standard Optimax exhaust plate, tuner, top mounts etc bolt straight up to the 300x mid
2) Does the standard (most likely aftermarket copies) 300x lower pan bolt directly up to the optimax exhaust plate
3) Will the early 3.0L Optimax powerhead fit inside the 300x cowls
4) Will the early 3.0L Optimax air pump function correctly without the internal air and filter plumbing that in inside the standard cowl
5) Does anyone make an aftermarket lower skirt as these seem almost impossible to source (wife might not support this route unless it can look factory once complete)
6) Overall thoughts, am I better off just going the standard mid route to save the hassle
Thanks- Rob