Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Need info about StarCraft V-140 ...

I'd like to build a short(ish) WL hot rod out of an existing hull and an Outboard Motor I have (140HP). I really like the looks of the StarCraft V-140 Modified, but could make do with a V-150 (both fiberglass). I know they are older hulls, but fit what I want to do. Not afraid of work like new stringers and floors, etc. Will beef the transom to take the extra power.

So my questions are: Have you driven on of these with rated power? How do they handle? Any adverse actions?

This will be just a boy boat. No wimmen involved. Two bucket seats and some beers down the river trimmed ouit

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I worked as service manager at a dealership in Tulsa back in the early 70's which sold them and I ended up buying a V-150 Modified myself. It was a great looking boat as I remember!
    Seems that the transom was a little skimpy and it was a true V-hull that had a drastic chine walk problem at around 50mph. IMO, it would need the transom reinforced plus building a pad of sorts for sure to ever safely run over 50!!
    WillySteve Hendricks

20XDC Bullet/Modified Merc 260
    295TF Charger/ProMax 225x-Sold!
    '83-20' Contender Pickle Fork/Merc 2.4 ModVP BridgePort EFI-Sold!
    '85-18' Stratus STV/Merc Hi-Po 2.4 EFI-Sold!
    Freedom 240 DLX Fisher Toon/Merc 115

10' Cougar Cub/Merc 25HP On The Bottle!
    18" Home Made Tunnel/OS .021XM Outboard on 50% Nitro and Expansion Chamber

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah yes, that's is exactly what I was hoping not to hear ... I worked at boat yards back in the late 60's and we had some deep V's that had the same issues...

Thanks for the heads-up. Was going to rebuild the transom anyway and add reinforcements as part of the tentative plan.

Will move along and look for other hull. Can always find a flattie here or there

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best I remember it has a pretty deep V hull so a good 11-12 inch pad should make it fly! They were pretty simple as far as interior but with today's available materials this could be fixed. Other than that they were really nice looing boats!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have rebuilt several of the Starcrafts of that style over the years. One of my favorite hulls. They were designed by marine architect Waltman B. Walters in the late 1960s. I still have an American 15 and American 18 (same hull, different deck layouts). My 15 has a Stinger 75 on it and is a great, fun ride at about 40 mph. Very sporty ride, quick and responsive. I don't run it much anymore, but keep it to pass on to my kiddos when they get old enough.

A friend had one with a 90 on it and would do upper 40s. There was a guy in our area years back who had a bright orange V-150 with a Johnson 140 V4 on the back. He had a pad added and would get into the 60s. No idea where that hull ended up.

By rebuilt, I mean popped the cap, new stringers, new transom - taken to full width and height (original was skimpy as built). I also tied the keel stringer into the transom, something that was not originally done.

6. Likes WillySteve liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool, I'll prolly be on the look-out for a V-150 or a V-140 (50's or 60" is right where I want this project to go).

Anyone have pic's of the "pad" ...

Yeah, if we get one, we'll be into the stringers and tying them into a beefed transom

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That will be a cool project. I remember them as a kid and liked the lines. They are a good looking conventional boat, and yours will be a real sleeper.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool, if you see one advertised out west (Calif, Oregon, Nevada) drop line here and we'll check it out. There's one down by Fresno now, but the seller does not respond ...

We both have "family" boats that are OK for outings and pic-nic's, etc. Good for the kids to get on the water (if the drought really ends and we get some full pool lakes ...).

But, we are looking to build a "guy boat" with two bucket seats and some zip that we can run around in. Throttle-man and Helmsman. Petaluma River to check conditions and get the set-up right, then out onto the SF Bay for some waves if not too rough

A rig to maybe take the kids one at a time to show them good speed control and such. Who knows, maybe one of the kids, or grand kids will take to it and want to go club activities.

Cars are too iffy here. Impounds for sure. Big fines. I'd rather have the young'uns looking at boats to get their speed rush, and learn boat maintenance, mods, how to tune or repair a motor, etc. Pretty hard to teach a kid about motors on a new'ish ECU controlled anything...

And I like to play too
    Last edited by brocluno; 10-02-2016 at 11:40 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I"m on the other side of the country but I'll keep my eyes open for you.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillySteve View Post
    Best I remember it has a pretty deep V hull so a good 11-12 inch pad should make it fly! They were pretty simple as far as interior but with today's available materials this could be fixed. Other than that they were really nice looing boats!
    OK, been doing some thinking about Pads and I think one could be fashioned for these older Deep Vee's.

I recall taking taking a customer out for a test ride in a 16' Crestliner Deep Vee with prolly a 75 Evinrude V-4 (or there abouts...). We were out on Pinto Lake and that thing would fall over on one side or the other at speed. He did not want to buy the boat.

Yet the bigger Thunderbird Formula's would run flat all day long. We also sold those and it was an easy trip down to Paso Robles to pick one up at the factory. Demo'd a fair number of them w/o issue.

I suspect it's more related to WL length vs Vee angle and total beam width ...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to bump up an older thread, the modified v-140's and 150's are very hard to find. If you are interested, I may still have the contact information of one which was for sale in NH a while back for around $1500. It took me about 8 years of looking to get my V-140. It's an orange 71 with white back to back buckets and an 56 cu in 70 hp Johnson. The fastest I've had it up to is between 44-47 with a bum carb.

If you click here: http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...year-wait-over You can see a photo of my boat taken from my Dad's modified v-140. I had called up Starcraft about 10 years ago to get more information about these boats. The man I spoke to (Merv?) was very helpful and said they were built to be a hot rod boat; fast and sporty. The only problem was that although they are quite quick once they get going, they had a great deal of issues with planing off that made them terrible for water skiing. The 15's were supposedly better, but it wasn't until the 16' boats that a real difference was noticed in the ability to plane off acceptably. So, after a short run, they killed off the modified.

With the power trim, my boat planes off much better than my Dad's, but I can definitely see the point. The original owner had it rigged with a 70 hp Mercury and said it was the most miserable boat for skiing he had ever owned. Regarding the addition of a pad, my Dad has had his since 1972 and has always said it would have been a nice addition.

If you find one which you want to hot rod, I am looking for a back to back bench seat to replace my buckets. Please keep me in mind.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Old thread but stumbled on it. Had Starcraft V-150 modified way back when. Red with the black back to back kinda couch interior. Had a highly modified 115 on it (built by Elly Langdon if anyone remembers him) ran I think 23 inch cleaver that I bought from Hank Cole(of Challenger fame, we used to be neighbors) had trim tabs, heavy duty steering, and can honestly say had boat in the low 60's. This was in about 1974 or 5. Motor was painted to look like a Johnson 85 Javelin.
    When I sold it I lived in Babylon, NY. The kid that bought it was local I think. Would love to have it back. Sold it to buy my Challenger.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have one that's no doubt needing a restore I'd sell for 1k!
    WillySteve Hendricks

20XDC Bullet/Modified Merc 260
    295TF Charger/ProMax 225x-Sold!
    '83-20' Contender Pickle Fork/Merc 2.4 ModVP BridgePort EFI-Sold!
    '85-18' Stratus STV/Merc Hi-Po 2.4 EFI-Sold!
    Freedom 240 DLX Fisher Toon/Merc 115

10' Cougar Cub/Merc 25HP On The Bottle!
    18" Home Made Tunnel/OS .021XM Outboard on 50% Nitro and Expansion Chamber

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    V140 or V150? Where are you located?