Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tuesday, 20 September 2016

Written by Eric Colby

Tuff Marine president Mark Weigl is so early in the process of designing his company’s next boat that he’s not even sure about the overall length, but that didn’t stop two customers from buying the first pair. “There’s already two pre-sold and I haven’t even shown anyone a picture of it,” said Weigl. The buyers who have committed to buying the first two are both owners of Tuff 21s and they wanted bigger boats. The company builds a 28-footer, but it’s too big for many of the boathouses on Canada’s Lake Muskoka, where many Tuff boat owners live and boat, so Weigl decided on a new boat in the 24-foot range. Without a finished model to show Weigl reportedly has two orders already for his upcoming Tuff Marine 24-foot single-engine V-bottom.

Weigl explained that customers have put some big power on the company’s 21-foot model and that, like any boat in this size range, that boat can run triple digit speeds, but only in the right conditions. With a beam in the 7-foot range, the new model will actually be narrower than the Tuff 21. “I’m convinced that I can match the speeds of the 21 (with the new 24), but with everything being easier, longer boat, smoother ride and more cockpit space,” he said.

The first Tuff 24 will be powered by an Evinrude E-TEC G2 250 two-stroke outboard engine while the second one will have an Ilmor Marine 570 with an IMCO drive with an SCX upper and an SC lower. The base price for the outboard version minus power is slightly less than $47,000 while the sterndrive configuration without an engine and drive comes in right under $50,000. Like all Tuff models, the 24-foot offering will run on a V-bottom with a pad. There are two full-length strakes on each side and Weigl said the pad has a multi-stage design. The primary surface is 8 to 10 inches wide. Moving out a couple of inches on each side, it steps down slightly and there’s a second step down to an outer pad. Weigl said the boat will start climbing up on the outer sections of the pad at about 70 mph, and then the design will continue to try to pick up the boat. “The only way to make a boat go faster is to get it up out of the water,” he said. “I’m trying to use aerodynamics and above under the boat to get that lift.”

Weigl said he’s taking the same basic approach as designers of other pad bottom boats. “Tuff Marine is taking care of the details and spending double the time on the details, going for the last five miles per hour” he said. The Tuff 24 will be built with balsa core in the bottom and foam in the hull sides and deck. The transom is cored in Baltek birch. The buyers of the first two boats have asked for carbon fiber in the laminate as well. One thing Weigl won’t do is offer a bowrider or cuddy cabin versions of his boats. “If you start putting stuff that far forward, it negates what a pad-bottom boat is all about,” he said.

Like the Tuff 21’ and 28’ models, the 24 will have two bucket seats and an aft bench. “I used to say, if you need your wife’s permission or you want something practical, it’s not for you,’” said Weigl. “It’s a hot rod.”

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder if that is US dollars or Canadian. Also, how much trouble is it to import one to the US? Awesome boat for sure and I have no doubt it will haul the mail.
    Last edited by capteliminator; 09-20-2016 at 01:44 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by capteliminator View Post
    I wonder if that is US dollars or Canadian. Also, how much trouble is it to import one to the US? Awesome boat for sure and I have no doubt it will haul the mail.

Zero trouble from Canada to USA. i dont think you guys even have to pay Duty. Im sure its in US dollars like everything up hear is. i bought my GS in South Carolina and that was a breeze also. Just an extra 6% but pretty sure thats only USA to Canada not Can to USA. Target market is always the States for boats made up hear as the entire population of our country is not much more than Florida state. HaHa Makes for uncontested water ways at least.
    Last edited by whipper; 09-20-2016 at 03:15 PM.

6. Likes AZMIDLYF, NICE PAIR liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This should be another great boat!.....

8. Likes whipper liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im really looking forward to it also. I was mentioning last week on the Allison site that Darris should get his 23fter out to market also as I heard about this one a few weeks ago. Perfection takes time. They should be a head to head competitor to the Allison 23fter. Not many boats in this size range for a single anymore but to me its the perfect size since the invention of the wake board boat!!

10. Likes tux974 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg G View Post
    The builders in Europe were onto these early. Phantom first and now Chaudron is doing a sit down 25 single that runs 88 with a single 300XS. I hope Tuff ends up with less than 7' beam on there new 24. Should be wicked looking.
    The 23ft Allison is now running 97 with a 200hp motor reportedly. i know Tuff make a pretty efficient hull also so it will be interesting to see how deep he can come in the 90,s with a 200 or 250? There will be no loss of speed for the 24 over 21ft tuff apparently with the same power. Sorta makes sense given more displacement to hang a 505 lb motor off the back. That tells me the 21 doesnt like the 300xs as much as a little larger hull does. Most of the 20-21 fters are designed around the 2.5. Making a hull now knowing what the weights are of the future of mass produced engines it makes sense to find the displacement that will best accommodate those power plants.

12. Thanks blacktruck thanked for this post
    Likes blacktruck liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow 47k for a base 24' boat. That will easily reach 75k once rigged

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The buyers who have committed to buying the first two are both owners of Tuff 21s and they wanted bigger boats.

Maybe there will be some more used 21s for sale
    21 Intimidator 300x Sold
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBoYUJ58sLE

1/2 21 Skater 300x Sold
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKNFL8b6kWo

30 Activator 850 HP Sold
    https://youtu.be/NZgOTNGKzqg

30 Concept Twin 300Rs

15. Likes Superbender, tres liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by whipper View Post
    The 23ft Allison is now running 97 with a 200hp motor reportedly. i know Tuff make a pretty efficient hull also so it will be interesting to see how deep he can come in the 90,s with a 200 or 250? There will be no loss of speed for the 24 over 21ft tuff apparently with the same power. Sorta makes sense given more displacement to hang a 505 lb motor off the back. That tells me the 21 doesnt like the 300xs as much as a little larger hull does. Most of the 20-21 fters are designed around the 2.5. Making a hull now knowing what the weights are of the future of mass produced engines it makes sense to find the displacement that will best accommodate those power plants.
    Never have I doubted the design skills of Mr. Allison, but 97 with a 200 is a bit of a stretch for me. How many grandsports will do 97 with a 200. A few, but a boat that is 3 feet longer? Not saying that it couldn't happen. If it's running 97 with a 200, what would it be running with a DBR 300x?

17. Likes Mitchie, whipper liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 21 Tuff and all hulls like them are big boats aerodynamically. Mark thinks ( and he has a pretty damn good track record of being right) that this 24 will run with the 21 power for power.
    I doubt the Allison will ever make it to market, at least no time soon.
    2023 TUFF 25

19. Likes Greg G liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The really fast ones will be IO.... 24' with 1000+ HP.......

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

21. Likes specboatops liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RBT View Post
    The 21 Tuff and all hulls like them are big boats aerodynamically. Mark thinks ( and he has a pretty damn good track record of being right) that this 24 will run with the 21 power for power.
    I doubt the Allison will ever make it to market, at least no time soon.
    Hey Rob, is the intent of this boat to just be for top end, or will it also be able to eat some rough water?
    22' Activator w/ 250xs Merc Opti, back home again

23. Thanks Carusoracer thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People seem to have the impression that tuffs are calm water boats. I think this is due to the low freeboard. Keep them trimmed down and let them eats
    2023 TUFF 25

25. Likes tux974, Mitchie liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RBT View Post
    People seem to have the impression that tuffs are calm water boats. I think this is due to the low freeboard. Keep them trimmed down and let them eats
    Glad to hear it, I was hoping that would be the case.

Needless to say, for a manufacture to actually have an all new SOB design is fantastic news!!!
    22' Activator w/ 250xs Merc Opti, back home again

27. Likes tux974 liked this post
Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast