Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

do the 200hp fitch engines have any inherant problems i should keep an eye on?

Are the fitches a pretty durable engine? I thought i read the have ecu problems...
    i bought a pair for a 30ft boat i will be using to transport 32 guests daily to the island where my hostel is located about an hour trip each way. Probably wont get revved higher than 4500 or 4700 rpms. Thx in advance for any info. Rm

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Injector packs constantly break on the ficht causing a lean cyl. I would recommend keeping a few extras around. These motors were the culprit to bankruptcy for omc.
    1977 Hydrostream Vector 2.5 Promax

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no good stay away
    2008 Mirage V-Racer 1983 2.0L Mercury 15"
    2010 Mirage V-Racer 1987 2.4 Original SST140 Powerhead
    1974 Hydrostream Viper
    1977 Hydrostream Viking

1995 Mirage River Racer " Boat On Loan" Thanks Mike Mullins 2.5 245hp 15"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you know if yours were ever recalled and repaired? I imagine there would be a sticker or stamp somewhere if they were.

Just weeks before filing for bankruptcy protection in December, OMC issued a service bulletin to its dealers, alerting them that 1999 and 2000 200-hp and 225-hp Ficht Ram Injection engines could catch fire or explode. The vaguely worded bulletin downplays the seriousness of a problem about which the company’s internal records show it was well aware for over a year and a half. There is no evidence at this time that other Ficht outboards are affected.

Fuel leaks from multiple sources within the engines are reportedly the cause of the problem. Because volatile gasoline vapors and liquid fuel ignite easily when sprayed on hot surfaces or when exposed to sparks, BoatUS advises owners of these engines against operating them until an OMC-trained mechanic can inspect them. The engines’ track record bears out this warning.

Documents obtained from the U.S. Coast Guard list over 60 separate complaints of fires and explosions reported to OMC by owners, dealers and mechanics between early 1999 and up to just a few days before OMC’s bankruptcy petition was filed on December 22. For example, OMC’s records contain the following incident report involving a 2000 200-hp Ficht engine:
    http://my.boatus.com/consumer/200225hpFichtFires.asp

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The ecu's fail at a fairly high rate. I think the ecu's are water cooled and that leads to the problem. Btw, did you ever get that manta running yet?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If they are 99 or 2000 they should have had an injector hold down update. A photo of the injector at attachment to head will tell if it has been done. I would not run them without it. I have seen these broke with very low hours and still running at 1500 plus. Good oil and fuel helps as does proper WOT rpm's. The ecu issue is generally back to bad battery connections or battery itself ( No agm style), the water cooling only becomes an issue if it gets plugged and the ECU overheats. The 99 has a voltage regulator that needs a lead acid battery to function correctly. If you run the serial numbers on the factory dealer site you can tell if updates were done.

7. Likes David - WI liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by racer View Post
    If they are 99 or 2000 they should have had an injector hold down update. A photo of the injector at attachment to head will tell if it has been done. I would not run them without it. I have seen these broke with very low hours and still running at 1500 plus. Good oil and fuel helps as does proper WOT rpm's. The ecu issue is generally back to bad battery connections or battery itself ( No agm style), the water cooling only becomes an issue if it gets plugged and the ECU overheats. The 99 has a voltage regulator that needs a lead acid battery to function correctly. If you run the serial numbers on the factory dealer site you can tell if updates were done.
    Thx a bunch. I will check the website in the am and take a pick of the injectors too.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Turborr View Post
    The ecu's fail at a fairly high rate. I think the ecu's are water cooled and that leads to the problem. Btw, did you ever get that manta running yet?

Yes got the manta running but plugged a main jet and damaged a cylinder. Im waiting on a few parts that nust shipped. I hope to have it fixed in a couple weeks. Im adding a pair of racor filgers and new fuel hoses to keep trash out of the carbs. Im running 89 rude 300s. But plan to buy a pair of new 4t engines next year. Havent done much with the boats for a while as i was living on my island finnishing up my hostal which is up and running now