Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1989 evinrude 300HP trim pump removal

Trim motor is bad. Cant remove screw next to transom.

Trying to remove entire trim assembly. My CD service manual has gone blank.

Removed 4, 9/16 hex bolts on each side. There are two long threaded studs with nuts on each end that run through the bracket

and trim assembly. I think these have to be removed. Or does the motor have to be removed from transom?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes remove the 2 long studs and you will need to remove one side mount bracket. Have engine supported with a hoist when you do this.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I beg to differ. Unlike the bigger Mercs, OMC's do not have to remove or loosen either clamp bracket to remove the entire trim and tilt assy. If you look from behind the motor, facing fwd, you will see the starboard bracket in cast with a "relief" in it. It is very noticeable when you look for it and compare the port bracket to the starboard one. So, 1st, have the engine raised up all the way. If the electric trim/tilt motor won't go up, release the manual release screw a few turns and lift the whole engine assy up and latch the mechanical tilt lock. On a V-8, it will be a heavy sucka, but do-able. Tighten the manual release screw. Now the engine shouldn't fall down on you (with your hands messing around inside the brackets. That would be bad!!). remove the 6 bolts (three on each side) that hold the trim/tilt assy inside the clamp brackets. It won't fall down. Next, you need to route the two large wires that go to the tilt motor from inside the engine and thru the wiring loom. then thru the port clamp bracket. See the tilt pin that goes thru the top end of the tilt ram?? That will have to be removed. Take out at least one of the two small keepers that secure the pin to the mid-section. Use a brass drift and some heat if you need it and drive the pin out. There are two plastic bushings you will find in the mid-section. reuse later. Now, to lower the tilt ram, you will need to open the manual release valve and swing up and away the tilt lock. Slowly, manualy, lower the engine and it's weight will push in the tilt ram until it's as far down as it will go. I believe to the top of the trim rams. Tighten the manual release valve. Lift up on the lower and tilt whole engine back up again, back up as far as it will go and secure with the tilt lock. There is no pin now (cause you removed it and the tilt ram is still down, away from the hole and pin that secured the two together). Now, the "relief" that you noticed earlier on the starboard clamp bracket is going to allow you to use a stout screwdriver/pry bar to draw up the whole fricking assembly out of it's pearch down inside the brackets. It's tight but it will come out . The procedure take s about 45 minutes if you've done a few. I would think about an 1 1/2hr the first time. Now, with the unit on the bench, you can access all the tilt motor screws and bench test using a battery. Reverse the procedure to re-install. You'll be surprised how ez OMC made it to be. OH, and I also use a rope or hoist or.... something to secure around the lower unit so the whole thing can't "fall" back down while I'm messing with my hands in there. Better to have the engine secured UP when it needs to be UP!! One more thing. IF, you don't have the relief on the stbd bracket.... then, you'll have to remove one of them. However, I don't believe the V-8's were any different than any other engine, 70 hp and above. I could be wrong!!
    Last edited by King Dad; 08-29-2016 at 10:12 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes the 8 has the relief on Starboard side but the clamp brackets and how the system is held in are different. One of the long studs goes thru the tilt ram and both brackets it's not a captured pin between the brackets. Makes it difficult to get out without damage to the coiled line on the bottom of the tilt ram since the ram is now not supported makes it better IMO opinion to remove/loosen the port clamp bracket with the engine supported on a hoist.

If you go to say a 1990 parts book you will see that the manifold and tilt ram are different part numbers when you compare the 8 to a 6 system. Clamp brackets dont have the 4 holes for a removable tilt pin (some 6S were this way) like the others. Yes if very careful you can get it out but with lack of parts to me not worth the risk.