Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sporty vs CLE On Sub-95 MPH Allison

Just bought Double J's restored Allison GT-20 and am going to drop my 225 Pro Max/CLE on it to replace the 200 XRi/Sporty. Boat runs mid-upper 80's with the XRi, so I figure my Pro Max should put it into the low 90's. Just trying to get some input as to whether or not I should swap out the lowers. I can obviously get more out of the Sporty if I sell it, and from what I hear, the boat should actually be faster with the CLE until I hit that dreaded bat turn point of around 93MPH, depending on who you ask.

What say ye?
    Present Allisons: GT20/200 XRi (stringers up restoration by Jack Barsh), XST18/150XS/115 ADI clone (full composite restoration by Kevin Bryant), R13 (Larry Register splash)/850XS
    Past Allisons: SS20/ 225 Pro Max, SS20/200 Merc, XR2002 2.5 260SS Merc, XTB21/225 Merc (hull #1), R15/60 JohnRude, EP15/60 YamaMariner

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen threads on this site about guys who have had cle modified by professionals to go a lot faster than stock cle. Someone will chime in here as to where to go.
    Popey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, you can cone a CLE to eliminate the blowing out issue, but I figure I'll be below the danger point anyway. Guess I'll know for sure when I swap the motors. Primarily wondering if the CLE would be faster than the Sporty until it gets to the point I have to worry.
    Present Allisons: GT20/200 XRi (stringers up restoration by Jack Barsh), XST18/150XS/115 ADI clone (full composite restoration by Kevin Bryant), R13 (Larry Register splash)/850XS
    Past Allisons: SS20/ 225 Pro Max, SS20/200 Merc, XR2002 2.5 260SS Merc, XTB21/225 Merc (hull #1), R15/60 JohnRude, EP15/60 YamaMariner

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know about the GT 20, but other Allisons will blow out with a stock CLE below 90. I would run the Sporty or get the CLE coned.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I am running an xb02 as opposed to a gt I have ran both lowers and do not see a lot of difference.My CLE is stock and the sporty is modified. My boat runs around 95 and has never blown out with a CLE. Maybe it's just me.

Rock
    Team Junk

No sparkling wiggles in here, only dump truck grinches.

"Screamin Heathen"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    been there done that way to many times. cle WILL blow out. NO FUN DANGEROUS stay with the sporty

mt two cents

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by myron View Post
    I don't know about the GT 20, but other Allisons will blow out with a stock CLE below 90. I would run the Sporty or get the CLE coned.
    Just curious, but do you have personal experience with blowing out an Allison with a CLE running under 90? Not trying to be a smartass, just wondering as I've never heard a number that low. 93 is the number that Allison uses, but that depends on how high you're running the motor. If you're surfacing it, I can't see how it could matter. Have seen plenty of folks running triple digits with pod tunnels and CLE's.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rock View Post
    While I am running an xb02 as opposed to a gt I have ran both lowers and do not see a lot of difference.My CLE is stock and the sporty is modified. My boat runs around 95 and has never blown out with a CLE. Maybe it's just me.

Rock
    Any difference in speed between your CLE and Sporty? My Sporty has the Allison cut on the skeg and CLE is stock.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe I shouldn't have responded. I set my Allison up very conservatively and have never even contemplated wringing the last mph out of it. It's a fishin boat. My sporty is also an Allison mod on the skeg and one of the intake holes has been welded shut. This was done for the 01 drag I had but I sold it and since I only had one other 15" set up it is now on my fishin boat. I am set barely even with the pad and maybe just a hair below it. I know many that run well above the bottom which will make you much faster and more prone to the famous bat turn. Even on my hot rods I have been more conservative than most. I like to go fast but more importantly I wanna go home after a fun day on the water. If I was still racing it would be a bit different but I am too old for that.

Rock
    Team Junk

No sparkling wiggles in here, only dump truck grinches.

"Screamin Heathen"

10. Likes NICE PAIR liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe I shouldn't have responded. I set my Allison up very conservatively and have never even contemplated wringing the last mph out of it. It's a fishin boat. My sporty is also an Allison mod on the skeg and one of the intake holes has been welded shut. This was done for the 01 drag I had but I sold it and since I only had one other 15" set up it is now on my fishin boat. I am set barely even with the pad and maybe just a hair below it. I know many that run well above the bottom which will make you much faster and more prone to the famous bat turn. Even on my hot rods I have been more conservative than most. I like to go fast but more importantly I wanna go home after a fun day on the water. If I was still racing it would be a bit different but I am too old for that.

Rock
    I hear you, and I'm in the same boat... no pun intended. Not sure why I'm even worrying with it given I might run mine up to WFO for about 15 seconds a month and spend 99% of time time cruising around 60. I didn't buy either of these boats with the idea of being the fastest boat on the lake. Getting into the 90's is more just to say I can vs anything else. Had one blow out on me (Bondo chunk came off the cone) around that speed about 25 years ago and didn't care too much for it. Knew that XR in my sig line was gonna get me killed, so I parted with it too. This growing up crap is hard.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rock
    not jus you... run cle's long before tha sporty showed its face without any problems... trailin' edge tab and blow out ring... BP's, 260's, 02's and 03's.. was not as quick as tha coned 200 or xr6.

will add, it took a lotta time gettin' tha set up (anti blow out) right with 'em............

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Allison red book says no to the CLE. I also try to run conservative, but the speed keeps going up with engine height....

Coned CLE on mine, thanks to Todd at Hydromotive.