Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1993 laser 388 LE bilge pump

I have this 1993 laser 388 le that has the pull out switch for the bilge pump. I am wondering is thus strictly a manual setup and should it be on the whole time boating or should we turn it on just once in awhile. The boat is not being used for racing but to cruise around abd occasionally pull skiers.

Also the boat has been sitting for 15 years and was only used about 10 times and never for racing it has the 2.5l offshore motor and we just replaced fuel pump,starter,plugs,2 switch pack I am wondering about how much this boat is worth we ate looking to sell and get more of a family boat to pull kids with tubes and such any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a pump left on with no water being pumped will overheat very quickly and burn out.but that's OK,i have plenty more new ones in stock.a NEW bilge pump is just as important as a new water pump/thermostats/poppet.-th

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Turn on the switch when it's dry on trailer. If the pump runs, it's a manual system. If it doesn't run, it's either automatic or broken.
    To fish or not to fish? What a STUPID question.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by j_martin View Post
    Turn on the switch when it's dry on trailer. If the pump runs, it's a manual system. If it doesn't run, it's either automatic or broken.

To add, there are a couple different types of bilge pumps. Round ones and oblong ones. Generally, the round ones will have a separate float switch to turn the pump on automatically, the oblong ones will have a float switch incorporated with the pump and have three wires coming out of it (one for the automatic which will have power to it at all times, one for manual which will have power to it when the switch at the dash is on and the ground).Generally, boats are wired so the switch at the dash will turn the pump on and off, the automatic is usually on all the time and the pump will only run when there's enough water in the bilge to float the switch. Clear as mud?
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors". Plato .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also Rule makes computerized pumps,with no float to get fouled with debris, that you can hook the 2 wires up to the battery and forget about it. There are only 2 wires and pump will come on now and then to check for water,only runs for a sec or two. I have left one hooked to battery all winter and battery still started motor in spring. Computer will learn and go in sleep mode.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by perfmarine1 View Post
    Also Rule makes computerized pumps,with no float to get fouled with debris, that you can hook the 2 wires up to the battery and forget about it. There are only 2 wires and pump will come on now and then to check for water,only runs for a sec or two. I have left one hooked to battery all winter and battery still started motor in spring. Computer will learn and go in sleep mode.

The computerized pumps have three wires as well.....
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors". Plato .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	384.4 KB 
ID:	354658 If you want to learn more about the boat text me.. I've owned a 388 and other lasers for years text me 5088641912