Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mjw930 View Post
    So you just run a single battery.

I haven't owned a boat with only 1 battery for 30 years but the extra 40lbs means a lot more in an 1800lb boat than it did in a 5000lb boat.

But I'm not sure I'm ready to spend $1500 on a battery
    I'm all about having reserve power for sure. I have an amplified stereo (probably more than most); but why 2 batteries unless you're going to run the stereo for extended periods without the engine running? We never park for extended periods and 1 battery (decent one) with the 60A 300xs alternator is more than plenty. I'm assuming all the dual batt set ups hang out for extended periods with stereo going...right?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wasvette View Post
    I'm all about having reserve power for sure. I have an amplified stereo (probably more than most); but why 2 batteries unless you're going to run the stereo for extended periods without the engine running? We never park for extended periods and 1 battery (decent one) with the 60A 300xs alternator is more than plenty. I'm assuming all the dual batt set ups hang out for extended periods with stereo going...right?
    It comes from years of being conditioned to always having backup. My boating education started on the Great Lakes then progressed to offshore cruising. There was a point it time, and I don't believe that time has passed, where you never ventured offshore without 2 engines and always maintain two separate battery banks, engine and house. Of course the type of boating I'll be doing with this boat will not have us venturing offshore much less out of cell phone range (though I'll usually always have a portable VHF onboard too.....)

As for stopping, that really depends. I can see days where we run to someplace like the Glen or disappearing island and spend 2 to 3 anchored/beached than we spend running. But it's not the running down of the battery that's the only reason. Batteries fail, alternators fail, regulators fail and a second battery could mean the difference between getting towed in or making it back to the ramp.

I do admit that all of those components have gotten much more reliable over the years so it's probably more of old habits die hard than a critical need.
    Last edited by mjw930; 08-25-2016 at 07:37 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mjw930 View Post
    It comes from years of being conditioned to always having backup. My boating education started on the Great Lakes then progressed to offshore cruising. There was a point it time, and I don't believe that time has passed, where you never ventured offshore without 2 engines and always maintain two separate battery banks, engine and house. Of course the type of boating I'll be doing with this boat will not have us venturing offshore much less out of cell phone range (though I'll usually always have a portable VHF onboard too.....

As for stopping, that really depends. I can see days where we run to someplace like the Glen or disappearing island and spend 2 to 3 anchored/beached than we spend running. But it's not the running down of the battery that's the only reason. Batteries fail, alternators fail, regulators fail and a second battery could mean the difference between getting towed in or making it back to the ramp.

I do admit that all of those components have gotten much more reliable over the years so it's probably more of old habits die hard than a critical need.
    Great Lakes and offshore I'm with you...Lake Lanier GA during the day only with Tow Boat US much different. You and I are wired the same for sure; I just don't need 2 heavy batteries for this boat with my use

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wasvette View Post
    Great Lakes and offshore I'm with you...Lake Lanier GA during the day only with Tow Boat US much different. You and I are wired the same for sure; I just don't need 2 heavy batteries for this boat with my use
    I'm pretty close to coming to that conclusion too.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Single battery in all of the boats with a single engine-I carry the little lithium jump pack. My deck boat has 3 but it also has 3 amps for the stereo. I have been very impressed with the Odyssey PC1200 so far. I have the 925 in the LCB but there was no stereo or power steering.

Joe

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The jump pack is a great idea!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost28 View Post
    oddyssey pc-925....i have used these on several 300xs motors with ZERO issues.....great batteries and alot lighter than a crap optima....
    What is the CCA on a PC-925?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2