Ill start by introducing myself, as this is my first post. My "name" is Bug and I am located in Charleston. I run a small boat shop, when not at my daily job. I have heard this is a great website for 2 stroke questions. I currently own three Yamaha 2 strokes, and want to piece two of them together. The first one, a V225TLRX, has a blown powerhead. The other motor, a SX250TXR, has a good powerhead, but unfortunately has a 25" midsection. I Have removed the old powerhead(Vmax) and lower unit and plan on mounting the good one tomorrow. I figured i would start with replacing the gasket that the powerhead sits on. Other than that, what do you guys recommend to get this motor started? The motor has been sitting in a garage for a long time and needs a full prep and tune up before it can be turned on.

My main concern is that. I am not sure of what i need to do to get it ready. Ive heard everything from fogging the motor with oil, cleaning carbs, replacing gaskets, tilt trim seals, and lower unit seals. Anything else? Anything you guys recommend i do while the motor is in pieces? Any upgrades that you guys recommend? I want this motor to be bulletproof and most importantly, fast.

Can my 20" lower unit that came off of the 225 Vmax work on the 250 saltwater series? I also have another 20" lower unit that came off of a 2004 200 vmax. Any ideas if this will work as well?

It is going on a 1998 21' Maverick Master Angler.
.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2369.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	400.2 KB 
ID:	350601Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2370.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	404.2 KB 
ID:	350602Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2375.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	374.2 KB 
ID:	350603