Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Got me my first Hydrostream.

Hello S&F Community,

Me: Adam. 40 years old, born and raised in Toronto, Canada, Grew up around cottages and boats, dreamed of owning a Hydrostream since I was 13 years old. I remember visiting Jim Tucker building the Canadian Editions in Hastings, Ontario back in the late 80's. Gawd that place smelled. Always wanted a Voodoo. There were a couple on my lake, and being a teen at the time, I always saw it as the perfect boat.

Backstory. My father owned a 1970 J-craft with a 1970 Mercury 115hp Tower of Power. Loves that boat. 6 years ago, the 115 finally bit the dust. He lucked into getting a 1987 150hp Black Max. Man was that ever an improvement...for speed anyways. The 115 barely managed 45mph, but dad being a skier, only ever had a 17p cupped bronze ski prop. He never had another one to swap out when he wasn't skiing.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago. J-craft was put in the water for the 2016 cottage season. Dad went out to warm her up, was bouncing around at 55 when the motor dropped to 30 and then died. Managed to get it started up again but even with full throttle was doing 20. Died a hundred yards from the dock, never to restart again. Water pump failed, top 2 pistons seized.

Now the J-craft is 46 years old. My dad swears to make it reach 50. The hunt for a new motor began. Weeks of emailing him links to Kijiji and Craigslist ads for 115's, 135's, 150's etc, I found an ad for a Viper with an early 80's Merc 115 strapped to the back. I told him "get this. Take the motor and put it on the J, lemme keep the boat to restore."
    He went down to see the boat, specifically the motor, but it was still trailered and hadn't seen water yet this year. Dad thought about it and went home. A few days later he went back to see it as the owner had managed to get the motor hooked up to a hose so it could be started. Sounded good. Cowling off, inside looked good.

He bought it.

And now I have a 1980 Hydrostream Viper that will need a crapload of work. No motor mind you, but I told dad to keep the 150 as there's still tonnes of parts on it worth money, and is still possibly fixable.

She's ugly and beautiful at the same time. Looking forward to working on her, and picking the brains of anyone here who's gone through a Hydrostream restoration, everything from the core up.
    I hear it can be a real PITA.

Last edited by adadk; 09-12-2016 at 09:25 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Congratulations! Gelcoat looks just like the gel on my Vandal before my son started recoring it. Take your time, do it right, use quality materials and you will end up with something way better than new.
    Per Rock:

"Once I bought my first Hydrostream boating changed forever for me."

Per my hero Instigator:

"I try not to let common sense interfere w/my boat buying decisions."

Pat Gent
    cell 954-249-3246
    '78 Hydrostream Vandal (being rebuilt)
    '86 21' Eliminator Daytona, 300 OMC V-8 (Li'l Toy III)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    For only 15 feet, the Viper is a lot of boat, as said re-do it and enjoy.....Check some of the old threads for some ideas on the job and materials used by some others....Several ways to do it....

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos