Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Last dumb question. Do you know what brand of gellcote? Seems some brands work well and some just don't.... Thanks...

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The color gel came from "Fibre Glast"$$but it seems to be good stuff. Duretec and everything else from "US composites"$$

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I ordered my supplies it all came from Fiberglast. Gel clear and opaque, pigments colored gel, MEPK, Wax, Duratec High Gloss.

Karsten

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Cool, thanks for the info.....

Rebuild thread:
    Videos

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    New gun came today,it's the same as the other two.I thought they were a fair deal at $39 but. When I seen $27 I had to pull the trigger on another.I hope they work as well for you guys as my first one Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	400.7 KB 
ID:	350288 has for me.

6. Likes texasvector liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Dang, your a stocking dealer now.....

Rebuild thread:
    Videos

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Well when i bought the first one I thought that I would just throw it away after using it.But it just wont die And for 27 bucks I can give one away, once in a while.Let me know what ya think.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LongShot View Post
    Outasite it came out real nice. Should have my spray guns tomorrow. I will try one out with some high build primer on my hoods. I had a shorty hood on it, it came back to blower drive pulley, that got damaged due to my stupidity and since then bought a full hood where the blower sticks up through a cut out. I have the shorty ready for primer. Need to long board the full hood and prime it. I have to put some bracing in after I cut the hole out for the blower.
    Looks like we kinda think alike,love the old Mopars!! Click image for larger version. 

Views:	17 
Size:	377.3 KB 
ID:	350379Click image for larger version. 

Views:	17 
Size:	395.5 KB 
ID:	350380

10. Likes powerabout liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sweet!!
    Dave Hensley

1986 XR2002 /12" Mariner and string steering
    18' Pugh Hydro
    1992 XTB-21/225 ProMax

The barn is emptying out!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tunnels View Post
    For the last 30 years I have always used a pressure pot spray system and it is able to spray almost any thing ! Gel coats , paints , enamels, two pot paints , hi build spray primers even with a percentage of Q cells of micro balloons added that makes it even thicker for really high build and good build up on wavy surfaces . Why anyone would even attempt to use just a ordinary spray gun is beyond me . The system I have has been added to with a extra regulator and pressure gauge Plus has all quick release couplers to adapt a 1.5 liter pot for small jobs or have a 6.5 liter pot for gel coating up to 40 foot hulls and decks . All using the same gun just long or short hoses with big or small pots and everything adjustable product supply to the gun, the spray width . the fan , the air to reduce the amount of over spray . And ordinary gun has trouble coping with less that a 1/4 of what any pressure pot can do even spraying upside and any other angle all in one pass and never miss a patch any where ! so why have all those different sorts of guns when just one well thought out system does everything ?? including spider webbing, and speckle coating . fine finish coats for boats and cars , or acrylic for the interior finish at home !! so why bother?.
    All the boat companies I worked I've made one of my pressure pot systems for them !. One company in South Korea made two identical systems for there two different factories !, so on big jobs the 2 systems were used at the same time with just one person doing the Catalyst mixing for both guns !
    Its limitless what you can do with a well set up fully adjustable pressure pot system !!!
    Agreed. Been there. Done all that. These guys don't do any volume & chances are, they're only are gonna do it once in they're lifetime though, lol. Its about cost & convienence/quality for their purposes. It gets the job done o.k. They will never need to know anything about 2-4 Pentanedione, Cumene HydroPeroxide, cobalt percentages, Molecular cross-linking, free-radicals, etc., lol... In todays world(bad and good), nothing wrong with an import, throw-away, $40 dollar HVLP gun to get a job done, that you may or may not revisit 20 years from now.
    Last edited by FUJIMO; 07-26-2016 at 09:30 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FUJIMO^^^^^If we are talking MSDS and types of respirators needed to spray the kind of products being discussed feel free to weigh in on proper precautions. Your input would be appreciated.
    Dave Hensley

18' Pugh Hydro
    1992 XTB-21/225 ProMax

14. Likes rjdubiel liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FUJIMO^^^^^If we are talking MSDS and types of respirators needed to spray the kind of products being discussed feel free to weigh in on proper precautions. Your input would be appreciated.
    ...Material Safety Data Sheets? All I can say is, just read them. Thats what they're for. It is the law, that they be included with every chemical you buy, for a reason. Respirators? Many type of fresh air type "systems" out there. For small jobs like a S & F'er would do? Just a Binks two stage respirator is o.k. Or something comparable. Put new filters in every job. Has the carbon canister & the cloth-type pre-filter combo in it. Just cover every inch of your bare skin too. Tape up your sleeve ends too. Sweat can pour out of your sleeve ends onto your work & you don't want that. Tape up the leg bottoms of your TyVac monkey suite, to your old crummy shoes you don't care about. TyVac has the hoodies too. Tape your neck up, etc. Goggles that have breather holes in the sides work, they don't fog up as easy. But even with all that, you are still getting a dose of what your spraying, just a reduced dose. Lots of fannage and ventilation of the spray area is key. Gel will not fully cure/dry also...when your done spraying & you leave the project over night, if there is not at least a small amount of air circulation to help it. Very glad not to have to be exposed to spraying catylized paints, chemicals, gelcoats, etc., anymore. If you don't think that stuff can kill ya, and/or permanently affect your health, your wrong. Take any and all precautions you possibly can...please.
    Last edited by FUJIMO; 07-26-2016 at 12:44 PM.

16. Thanks LongShot thanked for this post
    Likes LongShot, rjdubiel liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Fujimo. Unfortunately I don't have a down draft spray booth(!) or anything close. All my stuff is done under a roof with no walls and then the vehicle/boat is rolled back in the shop. Your points are clear and well taken.
    Dave Hensley

18' Pugh Hydro
    1992 XTB-21/225 ProMax

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Fujimo. Unfortunately I don't have a down draft spray booth(!) or anything close. All my stuff is done under a roof with no walls and then the vehicle/boat is rolled back in the shop. Your points are clear and well taken.
    Hey, thats nice that you can do it in an open envirement. Noth'n wrong with that. Set up a couple fans at one end & blow it in one direction, is nice. If there is a mild breeze, use it to your advantage, fan wise. Sometimes booths are more trouble than they're worth, for gelcoat anyways. If it was paint, I would say yes, paintbooth the better way. No bugs during the day, just at night. You can sweep the area & wet it with a hose, just as you would if you were shooting paint.
    Last edited by FUJIMO; 07-26-2016 at 03:10 PM.

Have lived and worked in New Zealand ,Tahiti,Australia,Japan , south Korea, And now Suzhou in China
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Point to remember is the time it takes Gel coat to gel and If you are in the wide open spaces remember the fine over spray travels on the breeze !
    Long ago I worked in a fiberglass shower cubical manufacturing company and they installed a nice big central extractor system in the factory that exhausted up through the roof and out into the air It didn't take long before the council did a inspection of the whole area where factories had ducting pointed skywards and the residential neighbors' were complaining of this strange white substance that was slowly covering everything !
    It was gel coat mist from out new spray booth !, some places up to 1 kilometer away , was on cars and house windows , so very quickly we made multi layers of chop strand matt filters to put over the face of the extractor air intakes so the wet over spray would cling to the glass and filter out almost completely the over spray from going into the atmosphere and getting carried by the wind . So if you spraying gel coat at home remember park you car way down the street where the breeze is coming from!
    Bet you didn't see that coming did you !!
    Last edited by tunnels; 07-26-2016 at 04:49 PM.
    Messing round with boats is fun !! the learning never stops ,even after more than 30 years there's always something new happening somewhere ! BUT somethings never change and some problems never go away and just keep reoccurring !!so moved into Composite Forensics , Now that something completely new !!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast