Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help - merc optimax 150 compressor - how to remove end cap?

Hi,

I've got a compressor failure, noticed it due to a noise. Cylinder looks OK in the realm of any cylinder I've looked at, still has cross hatches but I hear parts floating around in the "crankcase".. Engines have ~850 hours today, so I assume this is a wear & tear failure and not a side effect of something else.

My merc manual doesn't describe this well, just shows the end cap assembly coming off as one piece, however there is also a snap ring that would seem to hold the pulley-bracket (for lack of another term) onto the crank (for lack of a better term), but it doesn't show any of that coming apart and neither does the parts schematics; I did take the snap ring off but does not seem to have any effect (although maybe a puller would remove things from the shaft).

So I wonder - #1 how do I get the end cap off? And it does come off as an entire assembly including the bracket for the pulley and the "crank"? Then when I get it off, how does one line up the "crank" and rod, with the end cap still on there, to put this back together?

I'm not sure after hunting down at a minimum I assume rod, bearing, end cap, and seals (and then maybe piston/rings too), if it's going to be cost effective over just buying a late model used or rebuilt compressor, they are fairly available, but at least taking a look - hoping maybe I can find some new parts on Ebay and get it to a sane place for less than the $500 I'll pay for another used compressor.

Thanks in advance!

Jon

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Get the newer style compressor with bearings at both ends of the crank....

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Dont forget to clean fuel rails as well
    21 SuperBoat VF200 Yamaha SHO
    Bender Clan memberEroshibend Yamamoto
    2015 King of the Cut
    2016 King of the Cut
    2017 King of the Cut💪

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that - on the newer style compressor - do you know the part # or how to tell by looking at it? Like is a quicksilver 8M0060053 OK?

I see lots of part numbers flying around on these things and it's real confusing, appears everything from 2001 to 2013 takes the same style compressor and when I look up what the diagram says (831998A21) all the different versions seem to be the same part (but not sure how to know what the latest part is).

How can you tell if one is the newer style, basically is there a bearing in the end cap and another at the other end of the crankcase? Engine is an '06.

As far as the fuel rails go - will clean but got lucky there, the piston and rings look very good, nothing made it into the cylinder, potentially tiny pieces could be pumped into the oil lines but not on the air output side of the pump. In practical terms it is very rebuild able - rod/bearing, and end cap would put it back to good working shape.

Jon

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thought i posted an update last night but did get it apart - put the pulley bracket in a vice and pulled on the compressor body, came apart real easy, but not sure how one would get things lined up to go back together.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Updated ones are painted black. Easiest way to tell. Numbers are different for the 2.5's and the 3.0's. XS motors have diff #'s. Use your ser # to get the right one.

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by XstreamVking View Post
    Updated ones are painted black. Easiest way to tell. Numbers are different for the 2.5's and the 3.0's. XS motors have diff #'s. Use your ser # to get the right one.
    Thanks for that - basically when I use my serial and part that's for the old style, however the part you get (at iboats or something for instance) I think is actually a different part # and the new style pump, just not sure what that part # is (be nice to shop using that instead)..

The one I was looking at online I see is painted, so that's a big help to know - also noticed has a bolt on top the crank instead of the snap ring, maybe also an indicator.

Jon

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a compressor and all the exterior stuff from a 150 optimax pretty sure it is 2000 or newer. I am on vacation now and will be home on the 10th. $100.00 + the ride if it will work for you. If not it's going on eBay. Don't remember details. I bought the motor for the mid and lower. Power head had low compression in one cyl. PM me after the 10th if you are still looking.

Ron Pratt
    '91 Virage "The LAST Virage" 15" 280
    26' Grady White "fish getter"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaStreamin View Post
    I have a compressor and all the exterior stuff from a 150 optimax pretty sure it is 2000 or newer. I am on vacation now and will be home on the 10th. $100.00 + the ride if it will work for you. If not it's going on eBay. Don't remember details. I bought the motor for the mid and lower. Power head had low compression in one cyl. PM me after the 10th if you are still looking.
    Thanks for that, is enticing but ended up following the recommendations here and ordering a new one, including 2nd day air, from offshore performance in florida. Was $734 including the expediting.

Next time the boat makes me a good paycheck will probably spring for the same on the other engine. They get a good chunk of change for used ones, numbers were just too close on Ebay, so didn't even consider it as an option.

Any idea if the one you have there is painted? You never know, it may have gotten replaced and ends up being the newer style.

Jon

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I remember correctly it isn't painted. Xstream has some good advise. Sounds like knows a lot more on these pumps than I. Good luck.

Ron Pratt
    '91 Virage "The LAST Virage" 15" 280
    26' Grady White "fish getter"