So just putzing along in my 1986 STV ProComp Sprint Bottom at about 5800 rpms I'd say for 1/4 mile after it was warmed up for about 20 minutes or so. It went like this. Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee(engine humming beautifully) Then dead silence. No noise, No bang, No nothing. Just stopped dead in a split second. Motor locked up I am assuming because the starter just clicked and nothing rotated but it didn't blow up. I was running Premium fuel, between 32 and 40 to 1 mixture. Pennzoil Premium Plus Outboard oil. Just like that. The motor was/is a 1984 2.4 Bridgeport carborated. Alien Cowl, CLE lower unit, custom prop, milled heads, aftermarket reeds and a whole bunch of stuff that Tabara Racing put into the engine that I don't quite remember, a 100+ boat. You can hear this engine 1/2 mile away, sounded so badass.

I tried looking up new parts for a rebuild but haven't had any luck sorting parts even though I didn't look too hard yet. Although I didn't pull the motor apart or the heads to see what happened. I just parked it in sadness and am driving one of the other boats.

So do you think I am better off parting out this merc engine for parts, the 1.87 CLE, and/or is it worth rebuilding?

Or bite the bullet and purchase a newer motor like a 300 drag.

I really don't know which direction to go. Any help would be greatly appreciated.